Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 01:53 AM
can someone explain to me what the fuss was all about. Did they not want Martin to be embarrassed so they enervated a lot of hoopla?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 05:13 AM
The Oscars have been pretty much the "anti-popular" (or "good" for many of them) awards. I haven't agreed with much of the "Academy" for years...
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 05:28 AM
Enervated? I meant generated. The movie wasn't terrible, just average.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 05:45 AM
Shutter Island on the other hand.... I loved. But not the first viewing. The real genius of Shutter Island emerges during the second viewing.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 07:21 AM
Yes. Agreed on S.I.
Posted By: alan Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 02:33 PM
I liked Shutter Island as well.

I went to see Hugo in 3D to see how well the 3D poloarized projection worked and also because I was always fascinated as a kid with early movie technology. Hugo is visually quite stunning and charming in its recreation of early movie-making a la Lumiere brothers, etc. From my ideal seat in the theater, the 3D worked well, certainly enhancing the visual illusion but it doesn't do anything for the story line.

It's basically a children's movie but certainly enjoyable for any age. It seemed to move very slowly. I think its running time is a couple of hours but it felt like it was 3 hours long.

Alan
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 02:53 PM
Hugo 3D on bluray has really good reviews for 3D video quality. I was thinking of picking it up but not sure if I'll enjoy the movie or not. It is available for rent in 3D from a video store down the street so I may go that route.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 05:43 PM
I have nothing to contribute, but this makes my name appear on the first 5 Topics instead of just the first 4.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 06:23 PM
Read the rave reviews, ran to our huge screen 3D theater and was so angry at myself for taking reviews from the lamestreet media seriously. Nice 3D, infantile movie. Puerile, saccharine, and shallow. Save your money and time
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/04/12 08:30 PM
But you didn't say whether or not you liked it!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 04:10 AM
I have it from Netflix, but have yet to watch it. I'll sit the family down one night this week and report back.
Posted By: CV Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 05:01 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I have it from Netflix, but have yet to watch it. I'll sit the family down one night this week and report back.

I have a pile of movies to watch, including Hugo. I haven't done very much movie watching this weekend. What's my deal?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 05:32 AM
Too many jewels.
Posted By: CV Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 05:34 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Too many jewels.

They glitter and sparkle! Too bad they don't also sizzle like that bacon.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 01:16 PM
Some do.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 01:41 PM
Haven't seen Hugo yet, one of these days I will have to break down and watch it with the family.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 01:43 PM
Do you dislike your family that much?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Do you dislike your family that much?

Smiley face.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 01:57 PM
ok, I will skip Hugo and go rent Bobo. smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 02:28 PM
I watched Hugo Saturday evening with great expectations. In the trailer I saw something that looked surreal. Surreal is one of my favorites, like Coraline, for example. Watching the movie, I realized that the only thing surreal about this movie was the advertising. What they show in the trailer was a dream the little boy had that only lasted a few seconds.

Over all, movie was ok, but that's about it.
Posted By: Murph Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/05/12 06:00 PM
Sidetracking but since you mentioned it, I really liked Coraline. I keep threatening to sew buttons for eyes onto my wife's two cats.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/06/12 02:51 AM
I love Coraline too.

I usually don't recommend A Nightmare Before Christmas to people. It is a little odd. But now that it is in Blu Ray it is one of the most gorgeous I have seen.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/11/12 04:02 AM
I watched Hugo with my kids (6 and 8) today. We all liked it a lot. Some people seem to have locked their inner children away...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Hugo The film.... - 03/11/12 04:20 AM
Yeah, I saw it in 3D and really enjoyed it.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Hugo The film.... - 04/15/12 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
can someone explain to me what the fuss was all about. Did they not want Martin to be embarrassed so they enervated a lot of hoopla?

Watched this movie last night on Blu-ray and was disappointed. Just a lot of mental masturbation. They took so much time to setup the story and then rushed the back stories and ending. I was able to buy into the kids story somewhat but Kingsley's character needed more substance to it. The story wasn't all that compelling or "sad" as they built it up to be, especially coming from the fallout of the war. When it was over, I said to myself "so what was the fuss all about with this movie?"

Posted By: michael_d Re: Hugo The film.... - 04/15/12 05:52 PM
Fell asleep half way through it.....
© Axiom Message Boards