Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Wid RIP Earl - 03/29/12 03:52 AM

Earl Scruggs dies at 88. I remember my Dad listening to Flatt and Scruggs all the time. They were/are bluegrass legends.
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:17 AM
WOW! Didn't even know he was still alive. Played a lot of Flatt and Scruggs tunes back in the "folkie" days. Met them once when we played the same venue. Earl was very kind and friendly. We sang better. They played better.

Posted By: a401classic Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
WOW! Didn't even know he was still alive. Played a lot of Flatt and Scruggs tunes back in the "folkie" days. Met them once when we played the same venue. Earl was very kind and friendly. We sang better. They played better.

"We" ?! What do you play, Jack?

My youngest niece is learning to play the banjo. How many 13 year old kids in So Cal want to do that?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:27 AM
Jack, is that Bruce?

How many times, btw, did you book a gig because you let them call you guys Jack/Bruce? grin
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:31 AM
That photo is me and my dear friend and partner E.B. Michael. My guitar is hidden by E.B. We played together, in one band or group, for more than 40 years. He was/is a very accomplished banjo player. Here are the guitars I played. Still have them both. Can't play anymore due to arthritis.

Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:34 AM
Yep, that's Bruce. Pretty handsome fella isn't he? Well, before he got into Jan's cooking. grin

Never thought of trying the Jack/Bruce thing to get a booking. We made the mistake of going by Bruce and Jack. DUH.

I think we told you this story already, but we were in a band in L.A. with another guy named Ian Jack. So there we were, Bruce Michael, Jack Richard, Ian Jack and a 4th guy name George Stegner. How we let George in the band with that last name I'll never know. laugh

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:41 AM
The Love and Food of a good woman.... does it EVERYtime! smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:42 AM
You almost could have booked yourselves as "an eight piece"! smile
Posted By: Argon Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:48 AM
Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed...
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 11:56 AM
...poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed. Then one day he was shootin' for some food, when up through the ground came a buble-in crude. Oil that is. Texas Tea.

I think that is the 12,467 time I've sung that song. crazy
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 12:08 PM
Bringing it back on topic, I see that Earl played banjo for that show theme...

Of course, I assume that's why Rob brought it up...
Posted By: medic8r Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 12:41 PM
Jack, those are fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. One of my new interests is collecting rock band photographs - they say so much to me. That group shot is so so so so classic '70s! Awesome.

Yeah, and Flatt and Scruggs appeared on The Beverly Hillbillies as well, playing songs about once a year for Jed, Granny, and the Clampett clan.

Here's a really nice, if long/encyclopedic, article from CMT.com remembering Earl Scruggs. What a life.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 12:45 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics, Jack. Those are great!

Just added an Earl Scruggs CD to my Amazon cart.
Posted By: Amie Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 01:03 PM
Great story and great pic, Jack! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: fredk Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 06:13 PM
That photo is me and my dear friend and partner E.B. Michael. My guitar is hidden by E.B. We played together, in one band or group, for more than 40 years. He was/is a very accomplished banjo player. Here are the guitars I played. Still have them both. Can't play anymore due to arthritis.

That 12 string looks very familiar. Is it a Yami FG630?

Jack. When I look at those pictures I get the urge to shout out "Peace out, maaan." grin
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 06:21 PM
RIP, Earl. One of the greats.
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
That 12 string looks very familiar. Is it a Yami FG630?

No, it's a Martin D-12-20. Photo below is pulled off the internet and not a photo of my guitar)

Posted By: Wid Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 07:38 PM

I thought they were Martins, great guitars. My Dad had a D-18 (1940ish) and my brother has a D-28 (1960s)
Posted By: fredk Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 07:55 PM
Nice! I could never afford a Martin. From a distance, that Martin and my Yami look the same.
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/29/12 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Wid

I thought they were Martins, great guitars. My Dad had a D-18 (1940ish) and my brother has a D-28 (1960s)

OOH! A pre-war D-18. Yummy! grin

My D-28 is a 1964 model, and the D-12-20 is a 1965 model. I'm the original owner of both. Still have the receipt for the 12 string.
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/30/12 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Jack, those are fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. One of my new interests is collecting rock band photographs - they say so much to me. That group shot is so so so so classic '70s! Awesome.

You're most welcome J.P. Glad you got a kick out of them. Interesting hobby. I'm sure there will be an opportunity, in the not too distant future, for me to share with you more photos like that. grin
Posted By: Murph Re: RIP Earl - 03/30/12 01:57 PM
Cool Pic. No time like the present Jack!
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/30/12 02:34 PM
Nah! Gotta have something to do this summer, after all. grin Some of the ones to be seen are not in my possession. Bruce has them.
Posted By: a401classic Re: RIP Earl - 03/30/12 09:46 PM
Still have the receipt for the 12 string.

Both of those are certainly worth more than the amount paid 47 years ago. Might want to think about having them appraised and insured...

Scott
Posted By: Ajax Re: RIP Earl - 03/31/12 12:07 AM
Yes, I have a ballpark idea of what they are worth but I should, and would like to, have them professionally appraised.
© Axiom Message Boards