Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 06:03 PM
Since the Axiom site has been de-hacked pages are loading blindingly fast again.

That begs the question:

What was that malicious code doing during the long delays and should we be worried that our computers have also been compromised in some way?

I suspect not, but its a good question to ask.

I've accessed this site from xp Vista and Win7 boxes using 3 different AV packages and have not had anything quarantined.

I'm wondering if I should go through the effort of downloading and running a bunch of tools to see what turns up.

Thoughts from the forum tech smart guys?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 06:57 PM
Most likely you won't find anything that wasn't already there from other sites. Any blatantly malicious code would have been caught by someone's anti-virus or anti-spyware. Now, what it does NOT account for is some sort of data-forwarding bot (sort of like a key-logger) that was capturing and forwarding all traffic between Axiom's servers and all of the clients (us) and firing it off to some hacker storage. That is gone, so nothing to track there either.

So you can (and should from time to time) run something like MalwareBytes on your computer, but you will find more crap dropped on your computer from other legit sites that are tracking your every move too (IE: Google and MANY others).
Posted By: dakkon Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 07:04 PM
Was this most likely web based? I never experienced the slow forum that everyone was mentioning.. I wonder if this is because i am using a Mac and not a windows based machine?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 07:09 PM
The forum is the same speed as it always has been for me; everything loads nearly instantly. I access it from both a Windows and Linux machine, but I have stuff like NoScript installed, which protects me from most malicious scripts.
Posted By: fredk Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The forum is the same speed as it always has been for me; everything loads nearly instantly. I access it from both a Windows and Linux machine, but I have stuff like NoScript installed, which protects me from most malicious scripts.

Good point. I run my browser on higher security levels, but have not expicitly blocked all scripting. Hmm... trade offs...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 08:19 PM
I allow the specific site I'm on to run local scripts, and then whitelist other sites as needed. But yeah, I don't recommend NoScript to anyone but the most savvy and paranoid users.
Posted By: Mad Beggar Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 09:52 PM
Hey guys,

I can assure you that the speed increase had nothing to do with "the event".

It just so happens that following up on some of the posts on the boards regarding speed, we had planned to move the site over to a new server and change the platform architecture from 32bit to 64bit.

While this was on our schedule for "soon", recent events gave us an opportunity to precipitate the transition.

I guess every cloud has a silver lining :-)

MadBeggar.
Posted By: fredk Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/29/12 11:13 PM
There goes that conspiracy theory.

Thanks for speeding up my access. It was driving me crazy, but I was just too lazy to contact Axiom to figure it out. That's the kind of stuff I do at work all day long.
Originally Posted By: fredk
It was driving me crazy, but I was just too lazy to figure it out. {{SNIPPED}} That's the kind of stuff I do at work all day long.

You must be awesome at it! grin
Posted By: nickbuol Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/30/12 01:33 AM
I still get random locks/hangs on the forums. No noticeable difference to me.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/30/12 02:24 AM
So far, so good. No slowness noticed since the change.
Posted By: fredk Re: No more forum hack = blindingly fast? - 03/30/12 04:34 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: fredk
It was driving me crazy, but I was just too lazy to figure it out. {{SNIPPED}} That's the kind of stuff I do at work all day long.

You must be awesome at it! grin

Have you been talking to my grade 3 teacher?
© Axiom Message Boards