Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/22/12 12:58 AM
Nothing to do today ,had an extra sheet of mdf so i threw together a stereo stand. I have been wanting to use my TT so i got motivated. Will have to go garage sale'n next weekend,i have no albums up here. eek

Posted By: SBrown Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/22/12 02:36 AM
I think your going to have to go into business! Nice work.
If you do something for money its work. If you do it for the love of it then is relaxing. This is my meditation,though its getting expensive lol.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/22/12 03:09 AM
Richard, thanks for sharing all your projects with us.

Excellent work, as always, on the stereo stand.
Posted By: fredk Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/22/12 03:28 AM
Nice Job.

I used to have one of those turney thignamabobs a long time ago.
im interested to see how that spinny thing stacks up against digital media,mostly mp3z.Been a long time since i listend to an album.
Posted By: INANE Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/22/12 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Richard, thanks for sharing all your projects with us.

Excellent work, as always, on the stereo stand.

seconded
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 03:31 AM
As usual great workman ship.
Looks are decieving lol. its solid but i could have spent more time but you dont see much of it anyway. So much better than what i was using before. Very unstable,not something i could trust to hold up a heavy reciever. Here it is doing what it was designed to do.

Posted By: BobKay Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 12:50 PM
A coupla rooster decals on the sides and you're good to go! Keep on keepin' on, Richard!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 04:22 PM
What a great project! cool

I need to build an equipment rack for my theater. I am looking at something freestanding, but not a "flexy rack' because those things aren't quite the look I want, and for the size I am looking to build, materials are a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was thinking something simple out of wood/MDF with peg holes or metal shelf standards. The standards would be stronger and more durable for the weight of something like a receiver (or two like I have). Did you use peg holes? If so, how hard were they to drill evenly?

Here is a sample picture I found online of a standard with bracket, holding a shelf, and with a front face to dress it up.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 04:32 PM
Nick, I've used those metal strips on a couple projects and thought they worked just great. I can't imagine the setup and precision necessary to drill peg holes at home - certainly beyond my level of patience.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Nick, I've used those metal strips on a couple projects and thought they worked just great. I can't imagine the setup and precision necessary to drill peg holes at home - certainly beyond my level of patience.

There's an app jig for that. Seriosuly, Tom, whether it's $40 or $400, there's something(s) out there to allow hacks like me to do all those things people like you "can't imagine." And we hacks like it that way!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
What a great project! cool

I need to build an equipment rack for my theater. I am looking at something freestanding, but not a "flexy rack' because those things aren't quite the look I want, and for the size I am looking to build, materials are a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was thinking something simple out of wood/MDF with peg holes or metal shelf standards. The standards would be stronger and more durable for the weight of something like a receiver (or two like I have). Did you use peg holes? If so, how hard were they to drill evenly?

Here is a sample picture I found online of a standard with bracket, holding a shelf, and with a front face to dress it up.

Nick, those standards and brackets come in black, white, tan, etc. as well as metal finishes. I'm sure you could find 'em in brass, too. A pin hole jig at Rockler.com, with a special spring-loaded bit, would run you $50 for the single one and about $80 for the double-sided one. Yes, even 5mm (they also come in 1/4") pins can easily hold the weight of a 40+ lb. receiver.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 05:29 PM
I've done the hole drilling. Somehow I managed to do it right, don't ask me how. Next time, I'll probably use the strips.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Threw a stereo stand together today - 05/23/12 05:43 PM
A cheapo- way out would be to mount a piece of pegboard to a straight board. This gives you a guide (the board) to put up against the vertical sides of the shelf and a guide for each hole (the pegboard).

You need to be careful of the depth of the holes, of course.
all i did was mark out where i wanted my holes. Drilled through the first board and used it as a template for the rest of the holes.A piece of tape on the drill bit makes it so you dont drill through the all the way I knew i was painting the stand so ijust filled the holes. Must keep the drill level as possible if you dont have a drill press, which i dont.
I made small pilot holes then drilled to 1/4 . For shelf supports i bought some plastic inserts at canadian tire. Our lumber store was closed for long weekend so i didnt get he metal ones,but these work fine . I made my dado with a router which worked really well. 40 bux for the wood,a bit of glue and 50 for the paint.
© Axiom Message Boards