Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 02:09 PM
A recent study has shown that triclosan is bad for you and the environment.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/...uscle-function/

Here are some excerpts if you're the TL;DR type:

Quote:
exposure to triclosan disrupted communication between two proteins crucial for proper muscle functioning, causing failure in both the heart and skeletal muscle cells.

Quote:
After being exposed to concentrations of triclosan equivalent to those found in the wild for 7 days, the minnows were significantly worse swimmers than minnows that hadn’t been exposed to triclosan, and were less effective in swimming tests that simulated the the act of evading a predator.

Quote:
the FDA has declared that there is no evidence that using antibacterial soaps with triclosan confers any more health benefits than simply washing with conventional soap and water

So I need to be concerned about my swimmers?
Interesting. Thanks, Peter.

Quote:
the FDA has declared that there is no evidence that using antibacterial soaps with triclosan confers any more health benefits than simply washing with conventional soap and water
[/quote]

I've known this for a long time. Problem is that most people don't wash their hands properly.
Can you even buy non-antibacterial soap any more?

(Hmmm.... NON-ANTIbacterial... Double negative... Two negatives cancel each other out...)

Can you even buy bacterial soap any more? laugh
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 02:24 PM
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria because of people's obsession with antibiotics in EVERYTHING.

It's not good to waste your defenses against an opponent who will ALWAYS learn to circumvent them with enough exposure.
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Interesting. Thanks, Peter.

Quote:

I've known this for a long time. Problem is that most people don't wash their hands properly. [/quote]

People think that the antibacterial stuff instantly kills bacterial on contact, which isn't true as you mentioned. It still takes time and scrubbing for (a lot) more than the typical 5 seconds that most people seem to wash their hands. It is more like they just rinse their hands and there just happens to be some soapy bubbles involved.
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria because of people's obsession with antibiotics in EVERYTHING.

It's not good to waste your defenses against an opponent who will ALWAYS learn to circumvent them with enough exposure.

That is why I don't put antibiotics on minor cuts/scrapes (only a bandage and that is to keep blood off of things). I regularly injest all sorts of dirt and dust while working on home projects, don't get too worked up by a metal nail, screw, staple puncturing my skin (unless it is really old or rusty).

It isn't that I don't care, but I think that my body has a built in resistance that other people don't have because of the over-sanitization of themselves and the world around them.

Sure, I clean up what I call chicken juice from cutting up uncooked poultry, but I am sure that I am still exposing myself to it more than I realize and I am not getting sick from it.

I do more deep cleaning just for the sake of things being clean. Killing germs is a biproduct of that. Others kill germs as the primary goal, and things getting clean just happens in the process.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 02:40 PM
the human body contains as many parasites as there are people on earth.
some would love to see all microbial life dead forever, anywhere and everywhere.

i think that a good reason for people to act the way they do - scrub and scrub and scrub - is that the "enemy" is invisible, so it can be everywhere (and it is).

we would be quite surprised if we could see clearly everything that floats in the soup we live in, like if it was snow falling on the ground.
I saw the original "War of the Worlds" when I was a kid.

I LIKE viruses and stuff.

Yup. I get UTI's all the time and put up with the side effects for a while as I try everything I can to get rid of them autonomously. Problem is that my stubbornness in concert with my comprised system has resulted in me coming very close to going septic. It's not good when you can't talk properly and fail to form a simple sentence.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: J. B.
the human body contains as many parasites as there are people on earth.
Very true. If you added up all the cells in our body and compared the human cell count to non-human cell count, the living organism we call a human being is actually more non-human than human.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 05:55 PM
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria ...

You mean like gonorrhea? This Gawker article sums up the scary fact that we're down to just one effective antibiotic against this STD. It's only a matter of time before a shot of Rocephin (ceftriaxone) fails as well, then we're up the creek.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
You mean like gonorrhea? This Gawker article sums up the scary fact that we're down to just one effective antibiotic against this STD. It's only a matter of time before a shot of Rocephin (ceftriaxone) fails as well, then we're up the creek.

People will have to stop having sex, or something.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 07:25 PM
there's nice cutie dolls made specifically for that. :-S
Posted By: medic8r Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 08:10 PM
Is that what your web site means by deviant art?! wink
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 08:37 PM
I just pour hydrogen peroxide on everything.
Posted By: fredk Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/15/12 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Before or after sex?
I heard that this stuff is one of the causes of global warming, ha!...

TAM
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/16/12 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Before or after sex?

Nope. During sex.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Time to stop using antibacterial soap... - 08/17/12 02:39 PM
At the very least, they should provide never-ending free samples to rhythmic gymnasts. That may be the only way to stop THAT madness.
© Axiom Message Boards