Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/09/12 02:09 AM
I am going on one of my usual business trips and for once there will be not 1 but 2 choices of movies to go see at a local IMAX (since we don't have any decent ones here).

I have not seen The Dark Knight Rises yet, and it is still showing at New Roc City in New Rochelle, NY (where I will be staying literally 2 blocks from on Monday night). They are also showing the IMAXified version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was originally going to see Indiana Jones, but I must admit that I've seen Raiders soo many times since it originally came out, that I was going more to see something in IMAX than to see something really new.

So I think that I made up my mind and will see Dark Knight. Too bad that it doesn't start until 10:00pm and I have to get up for work the next morning... Maybe I will leave the office on Monday, crash at the hotel for a couple of hours, grab a bite to eat somewhere, and then see it. Yeah. That sounds good.

(PS. Yes, they have a "real" 70mm, non-dome IMAX too. I checked.)
Posted By: CV Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/09/12 02:27 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely do The Dark Knight Rises over Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not that I've seen the IMAX versions of either, but I suspect I'd get more out of new Batman as well, due to the freshness factor.
Posted By: fredk Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/09/12 02:44 AM
Dark Knight. The cinematography is excellent. This is what all movies and theaters should be like.
Right. I did hear that they really did a LOT of work on Raiders to get it up to IMAX 70mm spec and remixed the audio to take advantage of the massive audio inside IMAX theaters, but the "freshness factor" seems better with Dark Knight. Technically, I could see them both, one before the other, or even see Raiders when I am in Denver Wednesday night, but who knows...
Originally Posted By: fredk
This is what all movies and theaters should be like.

Absolutely. Coincidentally I finally saw the Batman movie last weekend at the nearby IMAX screen in Langley. What a fantastic experience as compared to the regular theatres, even though they're run by the same company here. I'm fortunate that I've got a "real" IMAX screen close by; it's a 20 minute trip.

Perfect visuals and truly great sound.

Not sure if these links have been posted on this forum before, but they're interesting reading nonetheless.

Why see The Dark Knight Rises in an IMAX 15/70 film theater?

and

IMAX 15/70 FILM Theaters showing The Dark Knight Rises

Yes, the Regal New Roc should provide that same great experience.
Another vote for The Dark Knight Rises. You'll regret not seeing it in an IMAX theater. Although I watched the film on a small screen this time, the sound and visuals were great. I suspect the IMAX experience would be mind blowing. The audio(by itself) should rip you a new one. shocked
In my attempt to find out exactly how big the screen was at the New Roc City Regal, I found the following link that "crossed it out" as being a "real" IMAX. Hmmm.... Everything else said that it was good to go for the really large screen...

http://diaramble.com/Post/IMAX/171/Do-not-fall-for-lieMAX-The-fake-IMAX

Since there are dozens of reports that it is the large format IMAX, then I'll stay excited about it. smile
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/09/12 12:17 PM
Yay, my local one is real. Not that I'm likely to see anything any time soon, but...

That's quite a difference.
Posted By: Murph Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/10/12 11:46 AM
Dark Knight!!! Without question.
The kicker is going to be that I've been up since 4:00am and the movie will get over at 1am tonight and I have to work tomorrow morning too... Maybe a nap after work today and before the movie starts.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/10/12 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
In my attempt to find out exactly how big the screen was at the New Roc City Regal, I found the following link that "crossed it out" as being a "real" IMAX. Hmmm.... Everything else said that it was good to go for the really large screen...

http://diaramble.com/Post/IMAX/171/Do-not-fall-for-lieMAX-The-fake-IMAX

Since there are dozens of reports that it is the large format IMAX, then I'll stay excited about it. smile

I'm a litle confused. Does the author of the above linked article have the terminology correct? He says the theaters on his list are the only "real IMax" theaters. The list includes the theater at the Great Lakes Science Center here in Cleveland.

However, this theater is known as an OMNIMAX theater which shows films shot in IMAX. It has an enormous curved (domed) screen (79-foot-diameter, tilted, domed screen, six-stories-high) rather than the normal flat screen. It virtually fills your entire field of view.

I have seen several movies at this theater and the experience is breathtaking. BUT! I have never seen a conventional, Hollywood movie shown at our OMNIMAX. The current lineup comprises films which are documentary in nature, only 45 minutes in length, and are probably not shown at your local multiplex. By the same token, you probably won't be seeing Indiana Jones or Batman at the Cleveland OMNIMAX. The same might be true for the other theaters on the list, but I cannot say. Those films will be shown at IMAX theaters, with smaller, flat screens, rather than Omnimax theaters.

If those films are shot in 70mm IMAX, but shown on a smaller, flat screen, is it not a bit unfair to label them as "fake?"

Where is Craig (Spiffnme) when you need him???????

(For the uninitiated, Craig is a forum member who used to work for IMAX. During his nearly twelve years with the company he supervised the film recording of over 50 IMAX releases, including The Dark Knight, Avatar, and the Harry Potter series.)

EDIT: I see that the Dark Knight Rises WILL be shown at a few of the domed theaters. Now THAT would be cool.
Now I've been told that the domed IMAX screens don't always do well with Hollywood movies since they weren't shot to be shown that way and thus too much can end up in your peripheral view that should be right in front of gou. I've never experienced one in a dome before, but again, that is what I was told a few years back from some friends that went to a domed IMAX in Des Moines, Iowa...
Howdy...

"real" IMAX theaters as referenced by that linked article are FILM theaters that actually project 70mm/15 perf film on to large screens. Up until about 10 years ago, that's the only type of IMAX there was. Then they got greedy.

The first step in the dumbing down of the IMAX brand was to retrofit an "IMAX" theater into what was formerly two standard size screens. That may give you some room for a wider screen, but you still don't have the height. Many of these type of theaters may have screens as skinny as 2:1. They may be projecting 15/70 film, but there's little point in seeing The Dark Knight Rises in one of these retrofitted screens, as you won't get to see the full frame IMAX scenes full frame! (most of these theaters have been converted to digital by now anyway)

Then came digital. IMAX was in a real rush to get into digital before anyone else. They spent millions of dollars trying it as early as 2000. That original system failed, but eventually they got one that "worked". Alas, it's only 2K, and of course is limited by the chip size/shape to a 1.78 aspect ratio. (and don't let the two projectors "sub pixel aligned" BS fool you. It's 2K and it looks like 2K. The two projectors give them some more brightness, but the resolution simply isn't there.) The screen sizes are considerably smaller too, as there's simply not enough light coming out of the two digital projector to fill a huge 100' screen like a film projector can.

Dome theaters: Stay away. Yes, they're projecting 15/70 film, but through essentially a fisheye lens and wrapping the image around you. Great for the .0001% of films which were shot specifically for this type of presentation, but possibly the worst movie going experience you'll ever have if you try watching a traditional film this way. You've been warned. smile

Sadly the days of the huge screens showing 15/70 film are coming to an end. IMAX is converting theaters to digital at a feverish pace. Keeping up with which theaters are showing which format is not easy. I suggest you call your local theater and ask what type of "IMAX" their theater is. (if it's less than 10-15 years old it's very likely "LIE-MAX".

That said, IMAX is now working on a new digital projection system which promises upwards of 6K and enough light to fill the huge screens again. So perhaps, just maybe, IMAX can go back to being a premiere format worthy of paying a little extra for. Right now though...save your money unless you're lucky enough to live near one of the very few original huge 15/70 film theaters that are left.

It's worth noting that IMAX recently changed their slogan from "Think BIG" to "IMAX is believing". They don't want you thinking "BIG" at all, as the vast majority of their theaters aren't "big" anymore. Further...they don't want you "thinking" at all. Just "believe" you're getting a vastly better experience.
oh...and Raiders is ONLY playing in their digital theaters. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't see it in 15/70 film.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/10/12 05:01 PM
please tell me what the "15" means in "15/70".
15 perforations per frame.

See here. (I actually created this little comparison image for some magazine article for IMAX. It's all over the web now.) LOL.

You'll note 35mm has 4 perfs, IMAX has 15.

Lawrence of Arabia style 70mm, while 70mm only had 5 perfs. See below.

Craig, the link in Jack's post mentions 1570/DIG in some theaters. I understand what 1570 means, and I suppose "DIG" means digital. Why are they labeled this way?
Not sure. It's likely some of the new smaller film based theaters that have added a digital projector but kept their film projectors as well? Don't really know.
This is likely your very best source to find out if your local IMAX theater is real or not. As I noted before though, any theaters opened after 2000, even if they project 15/70 are still likely conversions and not full size.

http://lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm
What is frustrating too on top of all of that is that I was watching a video online which included people from IMAX, talking about all of the conversation of Raiders of the Lost Ark to 15/70 FILM. No mention of digital, but they kept saying "70mm IMAX film."

I guess I will find out tonight about the one here. After looking at Spiff's link above this, it shows 1570+DIG. Looks like it was just opened 17 months ago (although other web information would lead one to believe it is a little older than that), so I am concerned. I tried to call the New Roc City Regal theater, and the person answering the phone was of little or no help, and I am technically here for work, so I didn't want to stay on the phone call longer than needed since I am set up in a temp location for my visit with zero privacy.

I am seeing comments like "Of those, ONLY the Regal New Roc City...are TRUE, BIG-SCREEN IMAX theaters."
Maybe there is hope.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I called the theater for you and spoke with the manager. The Regal cinemas IMAX screen in New Rochelle is indeed one of the huge six story tall screens, as they used to show 15/70 film. Sadly he told me that they are showing The Dark Knight Rises digitally on that giant screen.

With the current digital projection system that IMAX has, it would likely look worse on their giant screen than if you saw it on a smaller "LieMAX" screen.

I'm guessing they've made the temporary switch to digital in preparation for one of IMAX's next gen digital systems. In the meantime, New Rochelle should be scratched off anyone's IMAX list. Or at least call the theater and ask the manager if they're showing the current IMAX release in film. A 15/70 film screening there would be the real deal.
Thanks Craig. After a bit of searching I found an article explaining the brief history of Fresno IMAX.

It originally opened in Nov 1999 as a real IMAX Theater. I recall seeing Adventures in Wild California and Fantasia 2000 on the big screen during that time. Very impressive. Then in Aug 2001 it suddenly closed due to bankruptcy.

Regal Entertainment Group bought the theater and reopened it in 2004, but it was only used to show 35 millimeter films.

Two years later in 2006, an IMAX screen(50ft x 70ft) and projector were added bringing it back to life.

I've been fortunate to see a few movies since then and always been wowed with great video and audio. The Dark Knight(2008) viewing was quite exceptional.
Now that you have given the bad news to Nick I'm not sure if my IMAX is currently real or not. haha
yeah...LFExaminer lists Fresno as 1570+Digital, so it's likely the same as New Rochelle. You'll have to call and check with them on a case-by-case basis whether or not they're projecting 1570 film there.

IMAX really *&$%! up their brand. Sad.
Damn it!
So now I wonder if I should go at all. I mean, I could see it in the regular theater at the same complex at 8:05 instead of 10:00 in the IMAX, but I could watch it in a "regular" theater back home too.......
Thanks very much, Craig.
Posted By: fredk Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/11/12 02:07 AM
FWIW, I was in a LieMax and still thought it was a much better experience than a regular theater. Don't know if its worth the price though...
[pedant]
If were going to nit pick Imax, I feel its my duty to point out that the only real Imax theater was at Expo 67 in Montreal and featured a 360 degree view. The rest of you are just watching on some watered down LieMax version [/pedant]
...not really. That multi-screen presentation idea was a flop, and the founders gave up on it in order to pursue the giant screen format.

LieMax in a smallish LieMax theater may indeed be a better experience than some regular theaters. (I'm lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, so I have two real 1570 film, giant screen IMAX theaters within driving distance - AND the regular theaters here are pretty damn good too.

My concern with New Rochelle is the fact that they have the traditional six story screen but are projecting a 2K image up on it. You'll be able to count the pixels if you want - and it'll likely be too dim.

The new laser projection system they're working on, if they don't F it up, could be something special. Time will tell.
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
The new laser projection system they're working on, if they don't F it up, could be something special. Time will tell.

Cool... Movie Theaters with fricken laser beams.
Posted By: fredk Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/11/12 04:02 AM
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
...not really. That multi-screen presentation idea was a flop, and the founders gave up on it in order to pursue the giant screen format.

Bah, heretic! I've got a couple of real Imax's an hour's drive away that I will go to in the future. Around here, we don't really have any good theaters any more.

How close to functioning are those laser projection systems? Sounds cool in principal.
I no longer have the inside scoop on everything there, but from what I've heard - 2013.

Done right = 6K (or better yet, 8K), 4:3 aspect ratio chip. I know there were talks (they may have never gone any further than that) of doing an anamorphic lens, so that they could pack a squeezed 6K (or 8K) image onto the entire 4:3 chip and unsqueeze it optically.

If it's 4K they're done before they even start.
Posted By: CV Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/11/12 05:05 AM
Good info on IMAX theaters here. I had no idea they had done that to their brand. I would have liked to have seen The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX in Spokane, but the person I was with didn't want to watch it.
So..... Well, I went to The Dark Knight Rises anyway. Just got back to the hotel (1:30am). The screen, as expected, was huge. But it was really noticeable during previews of what might be in store. The sound was horribly harsh, with no bass, and while I like thins loud, this was too much. The image during the preview stuff was clearly lower quality (at least for the size) digital. They showed The Hobbit trailer and when Bilbo pulls the sword, Sting, out, it is blocky along the edges.

So, I am tired, but I will tell part of the story. The previews are done and the main movie is about to start... Up comes the Paramount logo... Wait.. Since when is Batsman a Paramount flick? Then the logo goes to real life imagery and is real grainy... Who is that? Yup, Indiana Jones. REALLY?!? I swear that the other 8 people in the theater were dumbfounded and must have been thinking it was a long preview or something. I knew better and talked to the idiots working there who were telling me (including the manager) that they weren't running The Dark Knight in IMAX. Well, mky ticket says that they are, their web site says they are, Fandango says that they are, and the marquee in the place says that they are. So I go back in and just as Indiana is about to run from.the giant stone ball, they cut it... Then we get the joy of watching a whole set of previews again. Some duplicated of course.

The sound was much better for the movie including some much enjoyed bass, and the picture actually wasn't bad. It was plenty bright and no noticeable blocks or pixels. Still could tell it wasn't "real IMAX film", but it is far from bad. So I guess for $18.50 instead of $12.00, I got a shot of Indiana Jones to convince me NOT to see it in IMAX due to the graininess of the film, and I got to experience a killer sound system and really large visual experience. Now if I could just fall asleep....
Posted By: fredk Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week? - 09/11/12 06:34 AM
Quote:
and I got to experience a killer sound system and really large visual experience.

You had me confused by the start of your post until I realized it was about the previews. I was really impressed by the sound system in the LieMax. It was far superior to anything I had heard in a normal theater. Par of that would, of course, be a nod to the sound engineers for Batman. They did it right.
© Axiom Message Boards