Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/09/12 02:03 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations for a fairly small treadmill or elliptical? We're talking about getting one, but we don't have a basement or a large amount of open space that we can figure out in the house. Also want decent quality. <$1000 preferred, but I'll take any recommendations.
I'd be interested in reccomendations as well. My wife wants a treadmill at the house.
Until they make an accessible treadmill or elliptical, I find this whole conversation dumb and discriminatory cry .

Walking is seriously overrated, too.

Actually, Ken, you can have my arm-bike, seeing as I can't use it anymore.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/10/12 01:11 AM
I'll let you know when I've invented a time machine, Cam. Then you can go back in time and stick that landing.
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'll let you know when I've invented a time machine, Cam. Then you can go back in time and stick that landing.

laugh

Thanks, buddy smile.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/10/12 04:29 AM
Somewhere in one of the many alternate universes is a walking Cam. Somewhere in a different alternate universes, each of us has lost the use of our legs. Infinite realities, man. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. smile
Would that walking Cam still get treatment from some attractive ladies? If not, you guys would have it better than me mad grin .
Posted By: Murph Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/10/12 06:46 PM
Infinite realities eh?
So somewhere, in the most unusual of all universes, Star Wars movies actually got better, McDonalds is a fruit smoothy shop and Mark's square room is the envy of Hollywood.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/10/12 07:11 PM
I'm gonna take this as a "no..."
Posted By: Amie Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/10/12 07:38 PM
For some reason it's in my head that mdrew knew something about treadmills. I tried a search but it didn't come up. If I remember correctly the thread had the name of a brand of treadmill in it - one that was fairly common. I remember seeing the name in our Canadian Tire flyer the week after, but it's not on Canadian Tire's website now, so I'm no help to you at all, unless something just twigged in your memory too!
Precor?
It seems like randy may have previously reccomended an elliptical or treadmill
I recommend getting the one on which you can hang the most clothes.
Posted By: JohnK Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/11/12 03:28 AM
Ken, Consumer Reports tested treadmills and ellipticals in the February issue, which you might look at in the library. The "Best Buy" rated treadmill under $1,000 was the Horizon T202 .
Posted By: Murph Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/11/12 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Brilliant!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/11/12 04:49 PM
That looks just about perfect, John, thanks!
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I'm gonna take this as a "no..."

laugh

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

laugh laugh

Axiom Message Boards, providing my daily dose of fun since 2006.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/11/12 08:02 PM
Wasn't "Dose of Fun" the name of the Negative Orange demo tape that was found behind a toilet at the Magnolia gas station in Shamrock, TX (on old Route 66) and was then panned by virtually every critic as having been removed from its rightful place?
I don't know, but every day I authorize pharmaceutical doses of fun, though I really don't know how this is going to help CV prove anything.
laugh
Posted By: Murph Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/12/12 12:10 PM
I just can't believe that Brian hasn't linked a cat on a treadmill clip yet. He is slipping.
Originally Posted By: Murph
I just can't believe that Brian hasn't linked a cat on a treadmill clip yet. He is slipping.

Oh well. In the past I've tried to get my cat to watch these videos, Cat on Treadmill, Cat Fetching, etc. Entertains her for about all of 5 seconds, then poof, her mind is on something else. Same with watching movies. As soon as the disc starts playing she stops and watches for maybe up to 30 seconds or a minute, then, it's nap time again.
Top Ten Treadmill Fails

You think maybe the second dude, at 0:07, is high?
I wasn't high. I was drunk.
Posted By: Murph Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/12/12 03:55 PM
:26 looks like the guys from Mythbusters.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: relatively small treadmill or elliptical? - 09/12/12 07:04 PM
That's because it is. smile
No, Peter, there's two of them, so you have to use the plural: they is.
I asked for treadmill input a while back. I did a bunch of research and found about every brand out there at different stores and hotels. I gave them all a try.

Ken I probably can't help you much, as I quickly found out just how much the smaller / folding type treadmills suck. I use mine four / five times a week because it rains / snows so much where I live. I would rather run outside, but that's just not possible. Plus, running on roads or trails takes its toll on my knees and I regret it later. So I initially thought I'd go small, but after running on a bunch at the stores, I moved to the fixed bed models.

So anyway, I ended up buying a True PS300. It's a commercial grade machine with nice big bed, a few quick select buttons and an ortho belt. Some folks hate the ortho belts, but I find them more comfortable to run on. The True has a firm, but cushioning bed that I found to be the most comfortable to me. I also liked a couple of the Precor machines, but felt the True to be a more solid, more comfortable treadmill. The store I bought the True from had Precor and Lifefitness floor models. I took my running shoes and ran on all of them. The Precor models that I did like were darn near 5 grand too. I thought they were overpriced. I also tried Landice. They are built like tanks, but I could not stand running on them. I felt like I was wearing bricks. They are quite expensive too.

The one thing about the True that I find irritating though, is the heart monitor. The chest strap and hand grips do not work worth a crap. They are completely worthless as far as I'm concerned. That's too bad, as the machine has a program that monitors heart rate, and will incline / speed up to maintain your desired heart rate. It almost killed me once, as it apparently thought I was sleeping at 10 mph and 8% grade. I gave up on that....
© Axiom Message Boards