Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Why [i]are[/i] AVRs so damned hard to program - 01/21/13 08:30 PM
The more I think on this, the more puzzled I am. I'm a pretty geeky guy and I find it hard to figure out my Denon.

Given the low cost of embedded computing and the interconnectedness of things, you would think that the AVR manufacturers would take a page from the PC book and create on screen wizards to to the most common tasks.

It should also be easy to create far better graphical interfaces.
Yeah!
try this: http://batpigworld.com/wp/
Originally Posted By: J. B.

That is exactly my point. Why is it that a multi billion $ corporation needs to rely on some dude named batpig to make sense of their interface? Geez not even Microsoft does that...
Go Pioneer!

Having the Pioneer, or maybe any AVR in another room makes it difficult. Not enough GUI. For many functions, I have to go back to where the equipment is and use the orig remote to change functions. Even an IR repeater wouldn't help here because only the front panel on the AVR changes.
You would think that it would be in the best interests of these companies to help the consumer set up their electronics more easily and accurately for future sales, if nothing else. Denon's manuals from Hades have become the stuff of legend.
Whoa. I just had a light bulb moment (Ding!). A PC Cam mounted to the front of the receiver, might just work (if it can focus at close range), especially if I can send the pic to my iPad. That way I could use an IR repeater and the original remote AND see the display on the AVR at the same time.

An App possibility

Can a web camera focus as close as 1 foot?
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Hey, what kind of board do you think this is? We don't what to see video of your foot!!

Kidding. I occasionally get video calls from an older relative that hilariously thinks she has to hold the tablet right up by her face and yell at it to be seen and heard. The camera in her Asus Transformer seems to do a great job of close proximity, so I think you would be fine, depending on the model.
Originally Posted By: Murph
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Hey, what kind of board do you think this is? We don't what to see video of your foot!!

I guess I'll have to save my video of toe puppets for another time.

BTW, what would a 10 year old packet of Arby's Horsey Sauce be worth these days?
mmmm horsey sauce
© Axiom Message Boards