Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 12:18 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygoldman/why-cant-americans-get-poutine-right

I concur. Nothing I've had in the States compares to the poutine that Tom, J.P., Scott, and I had in Toronto a few years back. (Was it really a few years ago, already?)
Posted By: fredk Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 02:36 AM
That was a fun read. I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. There's re new(ish) poutinery in town that has an upscale Ottawa pedigree. My daughter raves about their poutine.

Damn, now I'm hungry.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 01:43 PM
I make - what I've called for many years - poutine supreme. I thoroughly cover my potato slices with Cajun seasoning, then add veggies like peppers and onions before topping everything off with cheese and gravy. Yummy!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 02:02 PM
I believe the article's author would say NO to that.

But it sounds good. smile
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 03:00 PM
Eh, he's Canadian, he's earned it. That's the author's premise.

Now I'm hungry, and honestly, poutine has always sounded like something I don't want to eat.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 03:59 PM
Ken, you arrived to Churchkey too late to enjoy the "disco fries" that Tom and I shared last month. American poutine, and therefore bad, if you believe this author.

I thought that they were not bad, but the ones Peter referenced above were definitely better.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 05:00 PM
The Disco Fries were a pale imitation.

Fred, I love "poutinery". That's classic.

Ever since Toronto, I've been saying that Poutine should be served everywhere. When done right, it's up there with beer-candied-bacon on the list of Nature's Perfect Foods.

I'm reposting that article everywhere later today.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 05:19 PM
Tom,

I remembered you talking about seeking your true calling. I have a suggestion: poutinier = specialty poutine chef.

You could open a poutinerie after you have completed a lengthy training process, typically an apprenticeship, and passed a written examination and certification.

Fred will train you, right, Fred?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 05:53 PM
Americans can't get it right because we can't pronounce that darned stuff.

"Routine" but with a 'P'?
"Po-ew-teen"?
I could go on, but that would just add to the confusion.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 06:19 PM
It's not the first?
Forgive me, but I just keep reading it as "Poontang" but I think that's because I listened to so much Ted Nugent when I was a teen.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 06:31 PM
Here's a handy youtube video telling you how to pronounce it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDTIPlLuTQ
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 06:43 PM
Gotcha. That spelling must be French. A number of silent consonants and more content than is implied simply by the amount of letters.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Americans can't get it right because we can't pronounce that darned stuff.

"Routine" but with a 'P'?
"Po-ew-teen"?
I could go on, but that would just add to the confusion.

Originally Posted By: Ken.C
It's not the first?

It is indeed.

Carry on.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/09/13 07:32 PM
i would say something like: poo-teen,
but that does not tell the specific quebec pronounciation of it.
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
http://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygoldman/why-cant-americans-get-poutine-right

I concur. Nothing I've had in the States compares to the poutine that Tom, J.P., Scott, and I had in Toronto a few years back. (Was it really a few years ago, already?)

It really was years ago... so that means Axiom is getting ready for their 35th? (Ahem, Amie !?)

To be honest, that was my one and only poutine experience. Have not found it down here in the hot steamy south; they do crawfish and gumbo down here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 04:38 AM
Maybe you can invent roux-tine!
Maybe you can invent roux-tine!

laugh laugh

I like it!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 12:19 PM
Scott's Rouxtine - it's anything but!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 03:00 PM
Here's one way it could go:
  1. Freeze seasoned roux in french fry-shaped molds.
  2. Deep fry the roux pieces as you would frozen french fries.
  3. Pile fried roux on a plate, and top with (imported) cheese curds and piping hot creole red gravy.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 03:12 PM
Deep fry the roux pieces as you would frozen french fries.

Somebody's been attending too many state fairs.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 04:43 PM
Of course, the point of the article is that we can't even get BASIC poutine right, but I do enjoy the brainstorming.

For rouxtine, I think the main question becomes whether to stick with fries as the base or try something else. I can't really visualize deep-fried-roux. Personally, I'm conflicted. I never met a potato I didn't like, and there is something just inherently noble and surprisingly elusive about a truly well done french fry. Perhaps if you wanted to tart up that part, you could fry them in exotic fat (duck?).

Or you could go to something like a fried, cheesy-biscuit extrusion.

I'd incorporate the roux as the "gravy" part of the program, using a modified (much less chunky) gumbo.

Now, as to the cheese... It doesn't seem to me that either creole or cajun cooking really have a rich, distinct cheese history. So, I need Scott's help with that.

While we're on the subject of cheese, why cheese curds and not just nice chunks (or hearty shreds) of cheddar? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm looking for historical and/or culinary meaning. From a sourcing standpoint, curds seem to be much more expensive where I am. Again - like the fries - I'm not sure you have to belabor the cheese part, as there are SO many good semi-soft choices. The sheer variety among cheddars is astounding.

I love it when an idea comes together.
Posted By: fredk Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/10/13 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r

Fred will train you, right, Fred?

Anything for a fellow Axiomite. After that last post from Tom I'm thinking its going to take more time than I initially thought and a LOT more beer. I'll talk to my boss about a sabbatical tomorrow. Tom, load up that beer fridge.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/11/13 12:10 AM
Done. smile
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/11/13 02:31 AM
I totality forgot about an amazing poutine restaurant we have in Peterborough. The Whistle Stop Cafe IS the place to go for poutine. You'll salivate just reading the menu!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/11/13 02:55 AM
I can't stand Poutine, but I also hold dual US/CDN citizenship, so I am covered.
Posted By: fredk Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/12/13 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Done. smile

Its sooo tempting Tom... I passed through Seattle a long time ago, but never had the opportunity to spend time there.

::makes not to buy lottery ticket::
Posted By: Murph Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/15/13 12:03 PM
I just got back from the poutine capital of the world. I somehow managed to avoid it though. I don't dislike it. Just not a big fan.
Posted By: fredk Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/17/13 11:11 PM
Dear Mexico;

You should try this.

Hmm, I wonder if the truck has one of those nice 'Action Plan' billboards on the side.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Americans just can't get poutine right - 04/19/13 06:33 PM
I'm lucky enough to have this place just down the road from me. smile

http://centurycity.patch.com/articles/little-quebec
© Axiom Message Boards