Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 An Amazing Gin! - 06/02/13 07:20 PM
It's called No.3

I found this gem at the LCBO the other day. I was there to pick up a bottle of Sapphire and some Plymouth. Of course they had the Sapphire (standard everyday gin) but didn't have the Plymouth. I see this No.3 London dry gin in the corner, hmmmm looks interesting. Purchased it blind.

I am totally blown away. It is absolutely amazing! Smooth as silk. One of the best gins I have ever had.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/03/13 12:40 AM
Hendrick's
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/03/13 01:16 AM
I like Hendricks, especially for a G&T. But I think I have to give the nod to No.3 as my all-time favorite right now. Especially for a Martini. It's so clean and smooth. I first tried it in a wine tasting glass.

No. 3, Tangueray 10 and Plymouth are my favorites in that order.

I was so impressed with this gin that I went on their website just to see what they were about. Apparently No.3 was developed by a chemist who did his PhD in gin flavour and production. Top notch spirit.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/03/13 03:03 AM
I'll have to look for that and give it a try. I've been stuck on Hendricks lately and was just thinking of something new.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/03/13 01:31 PM
My favorite gin is an organic, locally-made (northern VA) gin from Catoctin Creek Distilling called Watershed Gin. It's fantastic stuff.
Posted By: michael_d Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/04/13 05:41 PM
Sapphire is my every day sort of gin for making cocktails. I like Boodles and Brokers for clean gin martinis. Pretty smooth and not expensive. Hendricks is one that you can make some pretty creative martinis with.

I'll have to try this No.3 gin. Can't remember ever seeing it.
Posted By: Eno Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/04/13 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
My favorite gin is an organic, locally-made (northern VA) gin from Catoctin Creek Distilling called Watershed Gin. It's fantastic stuff.

I'll have to give that a try. I've been enjoying their Roundstone Rye lately.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/05/13 12:54 PM
Yeah, Sapphire is my favorite value gin and it does everything well from a g&t to a dry martini. I even drink Sapphire with just a bit of cold water. I go through so many g&t's in the summer that it's not worth spending $45-$50 on a 750mL premium bottle of gin when I can get a 1.75L bottle of Sapphire for around $57. No matter what liquor store you go to they stock it. Can't say the same for the premium gins like 10 and Plymouth.

Hendricks based martinis are not my favorite, but in a g&t there is something to be said about it. I like Boodles but can never find it.

I think I have reached the pinnacle with No.3. Though it won't stop me from trying different bottles. It will be difficult for something to surpass it though. After some more experimenting I just drink it neat or on the rocks with a twist of lemon. Won't even mess it up with vermouth.

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/05/13 01:26 PM
Based on this website there is a large world of gin yet to be explored.

http://www.ginreviews.com/gin-reviews/
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/07/13 03:00 PM
I had to pick up another bottle of No. 3. Who knows if they will continue to stock it once the inventory is gone.

A week passes and there is Belvedere in the vodka section. Jumped on that opportunity. Not much of a vodka drinker but I do like this very much, better than other premium priced vodkas like Ketel One and Grey Goose (vastly overrated IMO).
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/11/13 02:40 AM
Recently had the pleasure of trying Plymouth. Received a bottle as a gift. I liked it quite a bit.

Always been a huge fan of g&t's, well, except when I was a little kid cuz that would be wrong. Tanqueray and Sapphire, I find, are good solid bases to start with. Tanqueray is a little more bold, but I find I prefer the Sapphire a little better. Brings an extra edge of depth and refinement.

I do agree with you, BlueJays, that Tanqueray 10 is on another level. Really bumps up the smoothness.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/20/13 07:59 PM
We had a blind gin tasting at my 40th birthday last year. We sampled 8 different "top shelf" gins. Who came out on top?

This guy...

http://aviationgin.com/
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/20/13 08:22 PM
Craig, I had some of that at the Washington Distillers' Festival last weekend. Unfortunately, by then, my tastebuds were pretty much shot, so I'll have to find their tasting room next time I am in PDX.

One interesting, thing, though: Crater Lake Gin is "wet" (juniper added after distillation) and has only that one botanical. I thought I'd hate it, but it was really quite a revelation. I'm not really a gin guy, but it's really fun to learn.

My sense is that PNW water (which does not contain a lot of suspended minerals) seems to make quite a positive difference in my preferences. I'm really bullish on craft distilling at the moment.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: An Amazing Gin! - 06/21/13 02:15 AM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Recently had the pleasure of trying Plymouth. Received a bottle as a gift. I liked it quite a bit.

Always been a huge fan of g&t's, well, except when I was a little kid cuz that would be wrong. Tanqueray and Sapphire, I find, are good solid bases to start with. Tanqueray is a little more bold, but I find I prefer the Sapphire a little better. Brings an extra edge of depth and refinement.

I do agree with you, BlueJays, that Tanqueray 10 is on another level. Really bumps up the smoothness.

Tanqueray does make an excellent, traditional gin & tonic. 10 is indeed a top notch gin. I'm glad you enjoyed your bottle of Plymouth. I have always been interested in their Navy strength but can never find it.
© Axiom Message Boards