Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 12:37 AM
Came across an add for these speakers for sale.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 12:40 AM
That address looks familiar....
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 12:47 AM
uh yeah, made by axiom. I also found an add for some millennia speakers by axiom. There a place called Avery Audio that claims to be an axiom dealer.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 01:23 AM
A forum search for Merak will yield many results, mostly by 2x6spds.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 01:27 AM
He has Michaura M665 towers
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 01:47 AM
yep, I remember discussing this many years back...
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 02:32 AM
And these

Seems axiom went through a few model name changes over the years.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Socketman
uh yeah, made by axiom.

uh, yeah, I know. That was my point... wink

Whatever happened to that "history of Axiom" thing that people were talking about a few months ago?
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 02:26 PM
I must
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Originally Posted By: Socketman
uh yeah, made by axiom.

uh, yeah, I know. That was my point... wink

Whatever happened to that "history of Axiom" thing that people were talking about a few months ago?

I must have missed that thread entirely. I just had no idea they had gone through all the name changes etc.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 03:06 PM
Oh, they haven't. The Merak line was produced for Radio Shack, I believe.
Posted By: alan Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 04:54 PM
KenC is correct.

Axiom had a contract with Radio Shack Canada to build the Merak line for sale in Canadian Radio Shack stores for some years. The Merak brand name goes back a long time to a Canadian manufacturer that went out of business in the early 1980s, if memory serves. I think that's when Ian picked up the brand name.

The Merak speakers that Axiom built were not nearly as neutral or refined as Axiom's upmarket line, but were very good value for the money. Sort of like the Sound Dynamics line that Audio Products International produced (the parent of Mirage, Energy, and one other I can't recall.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/08/13 05:38 PM
Athena?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/09/13 02:41 AM
Right, Adrian; API made both Athena and Sound Dynamics speakers.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/09/13 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Right, Adrian; API made both Athena and Sound Dynamics speakers.

I once had a huge pair of Sound Dynamics speakers that I bought at a pawn shop. I believe they were part of the "white van" series! laugh

Probably not the same speakers, but I swear that was the brand name.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/09/13 09:45 PM
Alan, I think Ian Paisley was part of API for a while.
Posted By: alan Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/11/13 11:33 AM
BBIBH, Yes, Ian Paisley was vice-president of engineering of API for many years. He assumed that title when API's owner, Howard Heiber, acquired Paisley Loudspeakers.
I was referring to Ian Colquhoun when I was discussing Merak.

Alan
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/12/13 11:56 AM
Hi Alan,

no sorry, I was referring to your comment "...and one other I can't recall", and that Paisley may be the name you forgot.
Posted By: alan Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/12/13 02:17 PM
Just confusion, Mike (not all that unusual at my age, ha!) Athena was the brand I was trying to think of. I think Adrian got it. And Sonic Fox may well have bought those Sound Dynamics speakers because API at one time had a big network of US and Canadian brick and mortar retailers. Now that I think of it, I think API added another short-lived brand called SPL.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: J. B. Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/12/13 03:28 PM
Sound Dynamics speakers...
Alan, my brother used to have a pair, in the 80s, a model with a 15 inch woofer. I can't remember the rest of the details (not all that unusual at my age, ha!) ;-).

i listened to one album with them and found the SQ good enough to give nice staging and realism, after i'd moved the speakers a bit around for better imaging.

my brother loved them because "they can play very loud", he said.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/12/13 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
Just confusion, Mike (not all that unusual at my age, ha!) Athena was the brand I was trying to think of. I think Adrian got it. And Sonic Fox may well have bought those Sound Dynamics speakers because API at one time had a big network of US and Canadian brick and mortar retailers. Now that I think of it, I think API added another short-lived brand called SPL.

Cheers,
Alan

It seems from time to time, API comes up in the conversation with their various speaker brands that they developed over the years and I suppose this is somewhat off topic but Alan, I always wondered why API decided to sell out in the first place?
Posted By: alan Re: Merak Speakers Who Knew - 08/12/13 09:40 PM
Hi,
I think Howard Heiber got a great offer from Klipsch. Howard was getting on in years, and had acquired a big yacht, so he decided to take the money and retire.

Ian Paisley also retired around that time although he did stay for a while after Klipsch acquired API. I ran into him at a CES Show and asked him how things were going, and he told me he was weary of frequent travel to China. I think he left shortly after that.

Alan
© Axiom Message Boards