Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/13/13 02:41 AM
This is a film I saw in my public library when I was a kid. I loved it. I don't know why I was thinking about it, but I checked The Google an there it was. I had no idea how famous this movie was.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/paddle_to_the_sea
Posted By: Ajax Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/13/13 03:20 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion you are younger than I. When I was a kid, Paddle to the sea was only a book. I owned it. The movie didn't come around until 1966. I was in college then.
Posted By: fredk Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/13/13 03:36 AM
The film was academy nominated and the man was a legend.

Watching a short about him in the early '70s is what inspired me to start wilderness camping.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/13/13 06:59 AM
I checked it out on the web & it was first published in 1941. Amazingly it is still available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0395292034

I read that book numerous times in grade-school back in the 1950s & has been one of my favourite stories of all time. Things were much simpler back then, except for the Cold War being in the back of our minds all the time.

I had forgotten about it until a few years ago when the little movie (that I hadn't even known about) was broadcast on CBC TV. Brought back nice memories of my childhood as it was very well done & true to the book...

TAM
Posted By: Ajax Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/13/13 10:46 AM
AH! Another old guy. smile
Posted By: onn Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/14/13 12:02 AM
I remember seeing this film in school but I don't remember what grade.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/14/13 01:10 AM
Gotta love Amazon.
1 minute after seeing a product the order is confirmed.
You got me interested...
Posted By: fredk Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/15/13 12:19 AM
Originally Posted By: onn
I remember seeing this film in school but I don't remember what grade.

I saw it in grade 5 or 6. The History of the Great Lakes is another classic by him. Quite funny.
Posted By: alan Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/15/13 06:26 PM
Hi Lamp,

I was given that book when I was about 7 years old around 1950. I loved the book and I can still see the illustrations in my mind's eye. There was one illustration that showed the little canoe surrounded by big lake freighters in the port of Goderich, on Lake Huron. I didn't see the NFB film version, which was charming, until many years later.

Alan
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/15/13 06:45 PM
Alan: Same for me. I seem to recall that the film version was very close to all of the illustrations in the book - very well done overall.

It's amazing how this simple story affected so many people, especially in our generation & that it is still available for purchase after all these years. I may just have to get one just for nostalgia purposes...

TAM
Posted By: chesseroo Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/17/13 03:36 PM
Now THESE are some classic vids!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/07/29/bc-hinterland-whos-who-beaver.html
Posted By: Murph Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/26/13 02:09 PM
Personally, I prefer this Hinterland video on experimenting with Wood Spiders
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/26/13 05:02 PM
That one has always been one of my favorites...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A link for my Canadian friends. - 08/26/13 07:03 PM
Me, too!
© Axiom Message Boards