Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Be smart for me...... - 10/19/13 08:52 PM
I can't do it for myself. grin

I want to build something, and I'm hoping you guys can offer some tips. I need it in a week, and don't have the ability to fine-tune the design over a long period of time.

There are product turntables designed to rotate a smallish object so it can be photographed over 360 degrees or even videotaped while it rotates.

All of these products, evidently made by Mapleshade(!), are overpriced and some are just ridiculously expensive. Some people use a rotating display platform (made for, say, cakes and small statuettes sold in retail stores), but even those are relatively high-priced. Maybe not if they're used day in, day out. But I would use something maybe 4-5 times from now until retirement.

So, I thought I could make my own. What I envision is two round discs and a Lazy Susan turntable bearing between them (maybe this design would be better?). Around the outer circumference of the upper disc, I could put a "groove" to hold a "belt" (rubber band?) that would then go around the shaft of a little electric motor...either AC or DC. I could put a knife switch on a DC motor or just remove the battery from the battery holder when done; an AC motor could just be unplugged.

I'm thinking that I want a rotational speed of about 3-4 RPM....a complete turn every 15-20 seconds. The setup really only needs to hold a pound or two; if I can future-proof it a bit and build it to work with 5lbs, that would be better yet. I can regulate or change the speed of the platter by putting another "grooved wheel" over the shaft of the motor and experimenting with it's diameter. I can turn these on my wood lathe.

Does this sound like it make sense? Anyone have a better idea or modifications to this that would make sense??
Posted By: Adrian Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/19/13 11:35 PM
Sounds like it would work, Mark. You could also look at a small sculpture's/potter's wheel and adding a small motor to that.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/19/13 11:36 PM
If you have any pawn shops in your area, why not look for a cheap audio turntable that you could modify? I have seen them as low as $25. The basics are there - of course you would have to slow it WAY down.... LOL.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/19/13 11:49 PM
Hey, maybe you can use a drill instead of buying a motor to run whatever gizmo you come up with. Either that or the small block Chev engine sitting in your dining room.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/20/13 12:12 AM
You might google that little rasperry pi computer to se if anyone hacked something you could use.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/20/13 12:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4DhVd1NfVs
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/20/13 04:07 AM
Love the beer in the backyard.
I hope Mark films the beer when he makes his version too.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/20/13 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2N66kYLAoM
Posted By: Murph Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/21/13 11:35 AM
Teach Buddy to twirl for treats. Strap disc to Buddy. Crazy glue object to disc for safety. Shoot in super super-slow motion mode. Adjust completed speed to desired RPM. Call any wobble effects "art". Finally, and most importantly, give treat to Buddy.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/21/13 04:35 PM
I like the BBQ Rotis video!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/21/13 04:40 PM
Likewise. The rotisserie motor really seems like the way to go, if you can get ahold of one.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/21/13 07:23 PM
Mahky: I don't know if they still make them, but there used to be microwave turntables. Why anyone would want their microwave to turn is beyond me (won't that keep pulling out the plug?), but you may still find one eBay.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/21/13 08:00 PM
They still do.
Posted By: Murph Re: Be smart for me...... - 10/22/13 11:38 AM
I always thought it was to evenly distribute the splatter of exploding food everywhere inside.
© Axiom Message Boards