Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 05:49 AM
Which do you think has been the more powerful in contributing to the human condition?

Please cite performance examples, history, anything you can think of. You Tube clips of outstanding performances.

I almost included drums in this poll.
Posted By: JohnK Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 06:09 AM
Chris, I looked at this from the standpoint of being influential in the historical development of music over hundreds of years. The violin would likely be my selection, although the piano of course played an important role and of the two choices you offered, I voted for it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 02:12 PM
I'm basing my choice on my belief that music was/is a major contributor, in a very positive sense, to the human condition. I was a guitarist, but there is no doubt in my mind that, of the two, the piano was/is the major influence.
Posted By: alan Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 04:01 PM
Lamp,

Interesting idea for a poll, but you left out what is perhaps the greatest musical instrument of all -- the human voice.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 04:29 PM
Excluding the human voice smile , what about the earliest stringed instruments from which all other ones(guitar, violin...) originated, such as the lyre. Heck, a piano is a stringed instrument when you think about it. In modern history, the electrification of the guitar is a biggie...much influential music was performed on them esp thru the 50's, 60's and 70's. Of course, in very modern history you should look no further than auto tuning, the greatest thing to happen to people with no singing talent.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 04:48 PM
Alan,
I thought about that for a long time! We can can argue about it in Manhattan over pizza!!!!!!
Posted By: Lampshade Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 04:50 PM
I voted for guitar. I think it is amazing what one person and one guitar can do. I believe they can change the world.
Posted By: CV Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 05:44 PM
According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
The human condition encompasses the unique features of being human.
It can be described as the unalterable part of humanity that is inherent and innate to human beings and not dependent on factors such as gender, race or class. It includes concerns such as the meaning of life, the search for gratification, the sense of curiosity, the inevitability of isolation, or awareness regarding the inescapability of death.

I think the piano represents that last one well, what with its crushing of heads as a cartoon gag. Also, who hasn't been strangled with piano wire?

But of course the game was Guitar Hero, not Piano Hero.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 06:14 PM
Auto-tune.
Posted By: a401classic Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Chris, I looked at this from the standpoint of being influential in the historical development of music over hundreds of years. The violin would likely be my selection...

+1

However, I did choose the guitar.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 08:59 PM
The violin never crossed my mind. I think that is because of how I fit into the world.
Posted By: a401classic Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/05/14 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
Lamp,

Interesting idea for a poll, but you left out what is perhaps the greatest musical instrument of all -- the human voice.

Regards,
Alan

Case in point: The pentatonic scale

Could lead to: This

Which brings me to the instrument I feel has the greatest emotion-evoking potential of them all: The Cello In fact this was one of my reference songs for the double blind test we participated in at the 30th Anniversary Party.
Posted By: JohnK Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/09/14 03:37 AM
Scott, I certainly agree that the cello, with its wide range sometimes said to closely match the human voice, can produce beautiful and highly emotional music from the pens of masters.

I note especially the gorgeous Dvorak Cello Concerto which I've recommended here several times.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/09/14 06:17 PM
Guitar. A much more versatile instrument than the Piano. Piano over guitar for historical influence, but guitar, especially electric for evolution of music.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: The Most Influential Instrument - 01/09/14 06:32 PM
Electric Guitar for the modern era.

For me, nothing is more versatile sound wise except perhaps a synthesizer...

TAM
© Axiom Message Boards