Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JBG Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 01:13 PM
Enough already!
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 04:57 PM
I'm sure there are at least a few here who live with snow for 6 months of the year that have some empathy for those who don't.
On the other hand I sure the same the same peoples would likely be happy to see the tides turn a little, lets say 2 months less here, and you can have a 2 month winter, deal? Deal.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 05:24 PM
My 20' palm tree on VR Island is quite happy - +10C & sunny yesterday & sunny again today.

We're in a pattern of rain overnight & sunny during the day - for the moment anyway, ha!....

TAM
Posted By: JBG Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 05:32 PM
some people north-east of montreal (gaspe region) will be getting 50+ centermeters or 2 feet of snow!! have a 10 foot snow bank next to the driveway!! so entirely I concur with the little boy video!
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 07:50 PM
I want jesus to make it warm here too. Well actually it is, its only -25 it was -35 earlier this week. I totally understand the frustration people must be experiencing. They are not equipped to handle the weather along with the sheer volume of people. Hopefully it will be over for them soon.

Richard
Posted By: Murph Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/14/14 08:26 PM
Yesterday -28 wind chill.
last night snow storm then freezing rain storm.
Today +7 and rain.

What a yo-yo ride of a winter.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/15/14 01:50 AM
Good complaints all around though in the 'Peg, we've had the coldest winter on record since 1949. We haven't had a day above -14C (or -25C with wind) in almost two months except for 8 hours one day in early January.

The past two years have shown a 60% higher snowfall than average, this year more than last.
Even locals are starting to say, "i've had enough of winter".
Just wait until spring when this snow melts and the mosquitos come out, assuming we survive the flooding.
Posted By: Argon Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/15/14 02:28 AM
You guys need to move.
Posted By: fredk Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/16/14 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Good complaints all around though in the 'Peg, we've had the coldest winter on record since 1949. We haven't had a day above -14C (or -25C with wind) in almost two months except for 8 hours one day in early January.

The past two years have shown a 60% higher snowfall than average, this year more than last.
Even locals are starting to say, "i've had enough of winter".
Just wait until spring when this snow melts and the mosquitos come out, assuming we survive the flooding.

Yeah, but its the 'Peg'. What were you expecting?
Posted By: Argon Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/16/14 09:34 PM
Seriously, the 8 inches we got is still hanging around. My driveway is like a ski jump and does not get much sun. I don't have any trouble using the Expedition but Fed Ex would not even attempt to deliver my new AVR yesterday. Now I am hoping that the driveway will look passable to driver on Tuesday!
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/16/14 11:18 PM
Hell I would be down at FedEx bangin on the door, and shouting expletives. smile
Posted By: Murph Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/17/14 01:13 PM
We had a parcel delivery a couple of weeks ago when things were icy. He took it right to our door instead of just putting a card in our mail box at the road. I asked him how my icy driveway was and he said "a blast" and even handed me my paper mail to to save me a trip. (Probably a felony cause he wasn't Canada Post but it was a nice thought.) He took a run going back up the lane as now he was going uphill. He fishtailed a bit and just missed the pine tree where it gets narrow.

You folks just need more Canadian courier drivers. We recruit them from aging ski jump teams, I think.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/17/14 04:33 PM
The only courier i've had issues with is UPS.
They are the only one that leaves parcels at the door if i'm not home. Purolator, CanPost and Fedex all leave notes telling me where to pick up the next day.
UPS apparently doesn't care less if it's raining (when they left my new monitor outside in the summer), and in this winter, i wouldn't find a parcel under all this snow until spring.
I refuse to use UPS for anything.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/17/14 05:56 PM
Yup UPS left my new amp out on the porch, even though both my kids and the tenant in the basement were home. Guess it was too heavy. wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
Posted By: Argon Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 12:23 PM
I waited at the top of the hill for several hours - as my drive was still "impassable" at least to the wimpy Fed Ex driver. She finally showed - glanced at me - no wave, no smile, started a turn around. I thought she was getting ready to drive off so I gave a loud whistle. She jumps out of the truck, clearly irritated and said "I WAS JUST TURNIN AROUND, Turnin around". I just gave her a Dillygaf, signed the machine and put the receiver in the back of the Expedition and drove off.

You guys send some of your drivers down here when we have a storm. They could make a bunch of OT filling in for our "empowered" drivers.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
The only courier i've had issues with is UPS.
They are the only one that leaves parcels at the door if i'm not home. Purolator, CanPost and Fedex all leave notes telling me where to pick up the next day.
UPS apparently doesn't care less if it's raining (when they left my new monitor outside in the summer), and in this winter, i wouldn't find a parcel under all this snow until spring.
I refuse to use UPS for anything.

Yep, I would agree, however, if you think UPS is bad now, I personally, just cringe with any stuff that I have ordered out of the US in which the shipper at origin uses them. UPS adds importation fees that they shouldn't be adding and they won't give you the goods until you pay. Earlier last year I ordered a $2000 video processor from Lumagen in Oregon and their regular carrier is UPS, however, I insisted that if I was going to purchase the unit it must be shipped via PO. They agreed and even though the actual shipping cost was more, in the end, with the elimination of the mysterious fees that UPS charges, my overall shipping costs were considerably less along with less hassle and I received the package in the morning. UPS delivers up until 8:00pm and there are times I have waited around all day not receiving the parcel until 7:00pm or even later. In the case of Axiom, I gather they are using them because a sales person from UPS came in giving them a better per parcel deal otherwise I don't see why anyone would want to use them as a carrier.

If I decide to import anything(which is rare now)and the company uses UPS and they insist on using them, I don't buy. It's not worth the aggravation.

Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 06:08 PM
I won't purchase anything from the US if UPS is involved. They charge ridiculous, needless, punitive 'Brokerage Fees' at the border that I will not pay.

USPS is the only way to go. I've had great success with them.

BTW, with my latest UPS shipment a couple of weeks ago from Axiom (VP160) the carton was beat up more than any previous ones (FEDEX I believe); however, no visible damage occurred. Great packaging by the Axiom shipping crew...

TAM
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 08:27 PM
I bought my new amp from emotive and they took care of everything. Shipping , duty ,taxes blah blah blah , only 200 bux from tennesse to the Yukon and it came UPS. But once it gets to Edmonton , Greyhound handles it to Whitehorse and a Purolator truck dropped it off. Same thing happened when I got my M80's ,Axiom sent them ups and greyhound took over and managed to misplace one for a few days.

richard
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 10:13 PM
I just came in from snow blowing and I’d say we have close to a foot right now from today's storm and several more hours before it's over.

I measured 29" in our backyard as of earlier today.

Thank God I bought the Ariens last year. Best snow blower I've ever owned. It handles well, goes through everything and throws it one hell of a long distance!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/18/14 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
I won't purchase anything from the US if UPS is involved. They charge ridiculous, needless, punitive 'Brokerage Fees' at the border that I will not pay.

USPS is the only way to go. I've had great success with them.

This has also been my experience. The first time i received an item from the US via UPS, i got an invoice a week later for $75 which was almost half the amount the unit cost me! (a vintage stereo amp)
This was years back and since that point i learned alot more about 'brokerage' fees. Being so close to the border, there is a company called Pembina Parcel service that sits in N. Dakota and holds your items for pickup. You bring the item across the border yourself, no fees.
Of course, i still have to take the time to drive an hour to the border and back.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/19/14 12:38 AM
I have been in a couple of these large courier distribution centers and if you saw how the cartons were handled you would cringe. The truck does all the pickups, gets in to the depot shortly after 8 PM where the shipment is immediately unloaded, scanned, then dumped(literally) on to a conveyor belt for a follow up scan then loaded on to the next vehicle for delivery and that is only if its a local shipment. If it is going long distance than usually it will be loaded and unloaded at least twice and if you are getting other carriers involved in the process then there is even MORE unloading and loading. Obviously, the more the carton is handled the more chance for damage.

Realistically, if a box arrives at my residence without any noticeable damage to the carton, now that would be a surprise.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/19/14 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I just came in from snow blowing and I’d say we have close to a foot right now from today's storm and several more hours before it's over.

Thank God I bought the Ariens last year. Best snow blower I've ever owned. It handles well, goes through everything and throws it one hell of a long distance!

I saw a guy on the news somewhere in the US they filmed him snowblowing , only one of the augers was turning. All I could think was how long it was goin to take him to get done. Living where I do , it amazes me how much snow you are getting and we don't have jack shit here.We had a pretty good couple of dumps in Nov and it looked like it was going to be a stellar season,then it warmed up to melting and we lost at least half of what we had and the rest is hard and crusty.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/19/14 03:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

I saw a guy on the news somewhere in the US they filmed him snowblowing , only one of the augers was turning. All I could think was how long it was goin to take him to get done. Living where I do , it amazes me how much snow you are getting and we don't have jack shit here.We had a pretty good couple of dumps in Nov and it looked like it was going to be a stellar season,then it warmed up to melting and we lost at least half of what we had and the rest is hard and crusty.

Same here. It was 10 above a month ago and is above 0 now.
Lots of melting, T shirt weather,lol.
The kids are enjoying it.
Posted By: Argon Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/21/14 12:36 PM
Well.....our 8" is long gone. Temp was up to 69 yesterday and will be above 60 for the rest of the weekend......Just sayin'
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/21/14 01:57 PM
We got some really heavy rain yesterday. It was supposed to turn to snow mid-afternoon, but never did. The temps hovered around 35F until about 8:00pm last night. Lots of snow is gone, but there was so much to start with that we still have an easy 24" left for most of our front yard, the back yard faces south, so it is anywhere from about an inch to about a foot depending on how much sun has been hitting it.
Posted By: Murph Re: Enough is Enough.. - 02/21/14 02:57 PM
Yesterday I drove through about two feet of fresh, fluffy powder for much of my drive to work as the plows hadn't gotten to my road yet.

Cutting the first trail through fresh powder in a truck is not as much fun as doing it on skis, but somehow it still feels kinda good.
© Axiom Message Boards