Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Captain America Dilemma - 04/13/14 11:09 PM
OK. I've already seen the movie, but I want to go again. I am traveling to the Dallas, TX area. Here is my "dilemma" that I am facing....

1) Drive 8 minutes to see it again in an awesome Cinemark XD (super large screen) theater in 3D.
2) Drive 15 minutes to see it again in a super plush theater (Look Cinemas) with power recliners and cool Dolby Atmos sound in 3D.
3) Drive 30 minutes to see it again at a Premiere Cinema in 3D with DBox motion seats...

Why can't I get all of these combined into one theater (3D, giant screen, Dolby Atmos, and DBox.... Grrr)

Place your votes. I need to decide by 3:00pm Central time tomorrow (Monday).
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/13/14 11:46 PM
I was a good film. I was grinning in the first 5 minutes.
Posted By: CV Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/13/14 11:54 PM
Really liked it. I'd love to go again, too.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 01:24 AM
You said previously that you had been to atmos theaters and it was meh. What was atmos like when you saw CA , perhaps you can use this opportunity to compare the 2 sound formats.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 01:30 AM
I have heard Dolby Atmos with the movie Brave at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood (the whole sound experience was great) and then again with Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I still liked it, but I also wonder if it is more because the theaters have their sound "dialed in" better. Interestingly the Cinemark XD theater mentioned above is where I saw the Hobbit a couple of years ago, but they aren't doing Captain in Atmos in the same exact theater.

Then again, I should probably expect a lopsided vote here anyway towards audio, since this is an audio forum. I haven't voted yet, so I can't see my own results until either I do or until the poll closes tomorrow.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 01:45 AM
FWIW I voted for the dbox
Posted By: dakkon Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 02:10 AM
Nick, i think i saw it at a Cinemark XD.. The one at cinemark legacy (this is the theater that we usually go to). It's a pretty decent theater.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 02:13 AM
I usually hit up the West Plano Cinemark, the one right across the parking lot from the Cinemark offices.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 02:29 AM
The movie was shot, mostly, here in Cleveland. They closed the West Shoreway for two weeks and blew a bunch of cars up downtown.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 03:38 AM
Your poll raises an interesting point.
Why can't a theater have multiple features.
The aquarium we visited last month had air, shakers, wind, etc, in their "4D" theater. Why can't your typical cinema?
Posted By: fredk Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 01:01 PM
Where's the "Go to a theater with a bar in it, get drunk, get arrested and post the pictures here" option?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 09:17 PM
Well this poll ended up being a waste...

The theater with the Dbox seats (which I wouldn't be able to go to until Wednesday night due to where I am staying the next 2 nights vs. Wednesday night (I am currently about 75 minutes from that place tonight and tomorrow). Anyway, they have some private showing on Wednesday night. OK, fine.

So then I contact the theater showing it with Dolby Atmos sound with the powered recliners, etc... Guess what? Despite being advertised as being the Atmos version, I called them to ask them more about it, and they said that their Atmos system is "down"...

I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Going to the Cinemakr XD as my only choice. It should still be really good since the theater has a Dolby Atmos setup, even if they aren't running it. The rest of the sound should still be impressive.

Thanks to all who voted.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/14/14 11:07 PM
Back row close to the end in the center section.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/15/14 02:55 AM
I sat in the middle of the row just forward of the middle from front to back. Higher and you are looking down and get a sore neck, lower and you are looking up and have the same issue.

The sound was really good, but I kept finding myself thinking, "I bet THAT sequence would have been great in Dolby Atmos."
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/15/14 03:03 AM
I sat in one last week end that had a back row roughly equal in height to the center of the screen. The image and sound was nice and nobody was next to me.
T'was enjoyable.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/16/14 10:16 PM
If you plan your time well, you might be able to do all three and report back. grin
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/16/14 10:36 PM
Well, I am staying at a different hotel tonight than the last two nights, so it would be a long drive to the one with the Dolby Atmos.

Also, I realized this morning that my flight out tomorrow is early. I need to be up at 3:45am, and if I make the trip to the one with the DBox seats, I won't get back to the hotel until about Midnight tonight. A bit too short of a night for me. Had I planned a little better, I could have possibly done that one tonight by going to the hotel after work and crashing for an hour or so, but I am still at work and will be here for a while.

Sorry to be a disappointment to you Ray. frown
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/16/14 11:18 PM
I think you let us all down Nick smile , do try to do better next time.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Captain America Dilemma - 04/17/14 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

Sorry to be a disappointment to you Ray. frown

Well, at least stay and watch the same one three times.
© Axiom Message Boards