Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 12:20 AM
Because the Axiom search sucks and I can't find the thread that most probably answers my questions.

My daughter needs a new set of headphones.

Budget: approximately $100
Use: music and movies on her laptop

Sound: She used that audiopile word, but I know she really means high quality audio with a neutral presentation. grin

She will be using them without an amp.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 12:40 AM
I'll put in a plug for my current favs, which I know several others hate for having too much bass: Audio Technica ATH-M50s.
Posted By: Wid Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 02:04 AM

Koss Porta Pro, well below budget but with really good sound.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 05:28 AM
Fred, a few months ago I bought these for a gift and also listened to them. Well within your budget and a great bargain.
Posted By: fredk Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Fred, a few months ago I bought these for a gift and also listened to them. Well within your budget and a great bargain.

How do you do that John? I found an old review of this headphone from 2009 that raved about them, but there seemed to be a lot of contradicting opinion on them on the rest of that site that left me wondering.

Of course, the 50 hour break in had me concerned as well. Based on your recommendation I will ignore those concerns. grin
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Wid

Koss Porta Pro, well below budget but with really good sound.

Fred - take a hard look at these. I have had a set for several years and they are stupid good for the price. They fold down into a small carrying pouch and are comfortable for long sessions. I use them with my iPod when I take a walk.
Posted By: CV Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 10:41 PM
I like the Koss Porta Pros, too.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/03/14 10:51 PM
Well, CV clinches it. Now I felt the need to put them in my Amazon basket!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/04/14 02:36 AM
Fred, those reviews that you mention probably are of the older 681 rather than the 681 EVO(out around a year). The EVO has a smoother treble response.
Posted By: fredk Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/04/14 03:43 AM
It was actually the 668B John. I read a few reviews of the Evo and even the less flattering reviews suggest they are an outstanding value.

I'll pass the recommendation for the Portapro to my daughter as well, but the Evo seems like a solid step up for not a lot more money. Both seem to be excellent values.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/04/14 11:08 PM
The Porta Pros are some seriously ugly headphones. I don't think any owner of them has gotten laid since the '80s.

Oh, they're for your daughter... Carry on. smile
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/05/14 01:26 AM
Yeah, Chris, that's why Ray likes them so much.

Anyway, I'm interested in some closed-back headphones. I have various cheap earbuds that I like fine, and my Grados are just dandy, too.

Do I need to spend $100-150, or is there something less expensive that I might enjoy?
Posted By: Wid Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/05/14 01:56 AM

I use the Etymotic HF5 for noise cancelling headphones.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html
Posted By: JohnK Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/05/14 02:57 AM
Tom, no need to pay that much; these should be fine.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/05/14 04:31 AM
Thank you, John. You always come through. I was envisioning a circumaural arrangement, though.

The Shure 440 and Sennheiser 280 seem to fit the bill, but you all often have excellent low cost suggestions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphones... yes again - 05/05/14 07:14 PM
I much prefer the AudioTechnicas to the Sennheiser 280s, for what it's worth. More money, but much better quality.
© Axiom Message Boards