Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JohnK Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 03:04 AM
It's already Sunday on Prince Edward Island, so let the celebration begin. Happy Birthday, Andrew!
Posted By: CV Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 03:08 AM
Andrew, I hope everyone's practical jokes on you today are as inspired as your own!
Posted By: fredk Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: CV
Andrew, I hope everyone's practical jokes on you today are as inspired as your own!

But sneakier. Happy Birthday.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 12:29 PM
Happy Birthday, Murph.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 02:09 PM
Murphy Birthday, Hap!

(I might need another coffee!)

Here's wishing you puppy breath today!
Posted By: onn Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 02:37 PM
Happy Birthday Murph!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 02:51 PM
eek tired sleep sick cry wink grin confused smirk shocked laugh crazy blush frown smile cool mad whistle
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 03:18 PM
Happy Birthday, Andrew!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 05:04 PM
Bob used emoticons!

Apparently, Andy IS his favorite.

Cheers, Murph!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 05:24 PM
Or his LEAST favorite!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 07:30 PM
Happy Murphday.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/04/14 09:53 PM
Hooooooooooooly shitballs! It's mah buddies birthday! Happy birthday, Murphy Murph Murph Smurfy Derfy!
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/05/14 12:05 PM
Thanks Guys!
I'm on a computer 50+ hours a week so I always do my best to avoid them on weekends, so I'm late to my own party here. Only fitting I guess, I'm usually late with my well wishes too.

Sharon arranged something for every day of the weekend. Friday night she took me down to the HT room where she had set out three new concert DVDs for me. G&R User Illusion I, Nirvana Unplugged in New York, and S.R.V. Live from Austin.

Saturday she suffered through Spider-man with me. Although she actually came out liking it more than she expected. Heavy on the romance, this one is.

Sunday I opted for the first barbecued steak of the season instead of going out for dinner. I got my revenge on the stupidly long winter this year by having some locally brewed ice cider with it. The extra long frozen storage of the apples made for a really amazing taste this year.

A great weekend capped off with some great wishes and humor from my Axiom friends. THANKS!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/05/14 02:59 PM
Sorry I'm late!

Happy Birthday, Andrew!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/05/14 03:07 PM
Happy Birthday!
Posted By: a401classic Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/05/14 04:44 PM
What the Cat said...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/06/14 01:04 AM
Several more somewhat late shitballs for your B-day, Murph!
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/06/14 11:39 AM
Thanks all! Much appreciated.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/06/14 03:46 PM
Happy Birthday, MarkSJohnson!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/06/14 05:29 PM
On the [anniversary of the] night that Andrew Murphy [birthed], is a night I'll never forget
Some of the boys got loaded drunk, and they ain't got sober yet;
As long as the bottle [of Strait Lightning] was passed around every man was feelin' gay
JohnK came with the bagpipes, some music for to play!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/06/14 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
On the [anniversary of the] night that Andrew Murphy [birthed], is a night I'll never forget
Some of the boys got loaded drunk, and they ain't got sober yet;
As long as the bottle [of Strait Lightning] was passed around every man was feelin' gay
JohnK came with the bagpipes, some music for to play!

That's pretty damn good.
Even though the band is from Newfoundland which i have no doubt Murph will remind us of very shortly.
Just what band comes from PEI that people would know?
I can't think of one.
I bet Murph will know the answer to that one too.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/07/14 01:03 AM
Uncreative and late, I wish thee a happy birthday, Murph!
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/07/14 12:52 PM
A song is still a song and a song is always appreciated.

My brother Pat aka Patty Murphy, also thanks you. Because, of course, the original is about celebrating his death. We like to play it on family gatherings if he gets out of line.

PEI has yet to produce any super-groups that have become casually recognizable in the U.S. market. Our total province's population is only 140,000 after all. That is just a neighborhood in a bigger city.

In the 80s we had "Haywire" who had a couple of #1 Canadian hits and a couple of other top 10. Basically a 1 or 2 album wonder though.

Lenny Gallant is probably our biggest name right now. A folk singer with a deep, recognizable voice. He tours worldwide and is a common name across Canada, Europe and other countries.

Like many places across Canada. We lay heavy claim to Stompin' Tom Connors. You prolly have to be Canadian to know that name though.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have heard of these names. Richard Wood, Barachoise, Alan Rankin, Meghan Blanchard, Tara MacLean (had a song on Coyote Ugly), Tim Chaisson, Catherine MacLennan or her father Gene MacLennan (who wrote songs for Anne Murray, Elvis and more), Two Hours Traffic, Paper Lions, Teresa Doyle? Just a few locally renowned artist who have decent Canadian exposure but are probably totally unknown in the US.

Still, we have a very thriving music scene. It's impossible to walk more than a block downtown without hearing live music coming from a pub or bar. However, when the whole city itself is only 35,000 people, you can be super popular and hardly known at the same time.

Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/07/14 12:55 PM
and Thanks Ken. Late is my thing so I can't complain.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/07/14 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
and Thanks Ken. Late is my thing so I can't complain.

Sharon laments to me that you're the exact opposite grin.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/07/14 02:26 PM
::rimshot:: grin
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 12:27 PM
As long as she is never 'late', all is well.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 12:50 PM
Jeebus, are we still celebrating Murph's birthday? Apparently, he's interning on the MSJ Continuous Birthday Program.

I enjoyed hearing about the PEI music scene, Murph. I'll try to look some of those folks up. "Charlottetown: The Austin of the Maritimes" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, though.
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 02:27 PM
If your looking for a live music vacation....
2014 is a big celebration year here so the summer is ridiculously jammed with everything from a tall ship festival to wayyyy more concerts than we normally ever see. Many of them free!!

Here is about half the list, keeping to the more well known. Mostly all Canadians, with a couple of exceptions.

The Killers
Matt Mays
Lady Antebellum
Blake Sheldon
Hunter Hayes
Shania Twain
Sam Roberts Band
Sheepdogs
Serena Ryder
Paul Brandt
Matthew Good
Matt Anderson
Mariannas Trench
Bridgit Mendler
Death Cab for Cutie
David Myles
George Canyon
Tegan & Sarah

and to appease the Quebecers, they dug up Roch Voisine from somewhere. wink

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 04:47 PM
Holy smokes! They're doing all that stuff for your birthday?!?!

What'd you do to piss off The Hip?

I didn't even think you were turning 50 this year. Congrats!
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 06:39 PM
I know right??

I suspect they are saving The Hip for my real 50th.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 07:45 PM
You mean The Broken Hip?
Posted By: fredk Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/08/14 11:45 PM
Tragically Broken Hip.

Murph. Is PEI the only Canadian stop for the tall ships? I might be out in your neck of the woods, but for the last two weeks of August.
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/09/14 12:54 PM
I know they are in in Halifax on July 19-23 but they are in two different ports in PEI on August 28th to September 1st. Not sure where they are in between and quick look via Google didn't help much. Hopefully you will catch thier arrival in your last week in August.

I'd be very happy to take you out to see them on the kayaks. I did that years ago in Halifax and it was awesome. If you think they look tall from a dock, you should see them from water level!!

In any case, make sure to let me know if you are coming. Barring another family, medical emergency like last time, I promise not to stand you up again.
Posted By: fredk Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/11/14 12:24 AM
I did a second check of the calendar and the 28th might actually be do-able. Seeing those ships from water level would be cool, and I'd love to meet up with you again.

This is all very tentative right now. We'll see how things develop over the summer.
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/16/14 01:46 PM
Cool.
I usually do my best to plan my life to do stuff on short notice. If that makes sense.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/16/14 07:52 PM
Ahh, Fred? Andrew? Since this was F's post # 7000 and A's post #6666, I think it's time you take this discussion private.
It's beginning to make some of the rest of us uncomfortable.
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/20/14 11:29 AM
You're just mad because my post # had 666 in it and you used to be God. I promise not to do it again for another 999 posts.

Unless of course, your reading this one upside down.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/20/14 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
you used to be God.

Gee, talk about a fall form grace, eh?
Posted By: Murph Re: Murph's Birthday - 05/20/14 06:36 PM
I fell from Grace once.
But she pushed me and it was only about two feet from the couch to the floor. Thank God I landed on my back. That's all I'm sayin....
© Axiom Message Boards