Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adrian Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/15/14 09:53 PM
Will be used to trim grass around 40 trees, 200 feet of fencing, some garden walls, deck ect.

Gas powered(2 or 4 strk), straight shaft, short replaceable string type(not tap feed style), reliable, easy to start, max price about $200...suggestions?

Tks, Adrian
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/15/14 10:21 PM
I bought an Echo last year (or maybe the year before?) that I'm really impressed with. Cuts better than anything I've ever owned, and starts right up every time. I'm pretty sure I based the purchase on a CR report, which was backed up by very good reviews everywhere I looked.

It's a tap-string feed, though, so if that's a deal breaker, I can't help you! smile
Posted By: Andrew Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/15/14 11:05 PM
I'm very happy with the Stihl FS 90 that I purchased about 3 years ago. It always starts easily and is well balanced with the handlebars and shoulder harness. Mine has a tap string feed head, but I believe you can get a head that takes pop in strings. The coolest feature is that you can purchase a saw blade attachment that turns it into a serious brushcutter that makes quick work of thick weeds and small saplings. The only issue is that it's about double your budget. frown
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 01:41 AM
Andrew/Mark, did either of you have issues with the bump feed? seems a lot of people have problems once they have to install a second spool or re-spool. I've had that issue on the couple of electric trimmers I owned in the past, over time the bump mechanism just flew to pieces.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 01:53 AM
No problems for me!
Posted By: Murph Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 12:36 PM
I've had a Black & Decker bump feed for close to 10 years now. Clean the shaft base every now and then and I've never, ever an had an issue with it. Which is surprising, as I'd never buy a Black & Decker power, hand tool. They are mostly junk. I certainly can't knock this trimmer though.

I can't imagine having to stop and replace short strings all the time. Maybe they are more durable though so you don't do it as often.

I can't speak for all units quality but I suspect that some people with issues on the tap & feed are probably treating them as smash and feed. I know that is what my neighbor's wife does. Poor trimmers over there do not last long.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 01:00 PM
My trimmer has an auto feed. Apart from that feature, I don't like it much.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Clean the shaft base every now and then and I've never, ever an had an issue with it.

And I quote you from the "So what are ya listening to tonight?" thread:

Snicker.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 03:14 PM
I've got a Echo PAS225, with the feed system that your asking about. I got this style head because i didn't want to deal with the headache of the bump style either. I use 0.95 line. Pretty much the thickest i can find. I'll usually put a fresh pair in the machine before i start, and cut a second set incase i need them. I use some wire cutters to cut it off of the spool.. I can usually get all of the trimming done around the house on 1 pair of lines..

I'd rather go this route, with a couple of extra pre-cut sets of line in my pocket, than have the possible frustration of the spool style cord holder.

the PAS225 retails for 225$ by me... Not sure what it is by you.

Also, like Andrew the Echo starts on the first or second pull every time.

At 225$, it's 25$ over your budget.. But, its WELL worth the extra 25$.. \

Good luck.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 07:14 PM
Thanks, dak. Seems Echo gets fairly good reviews on their trimmers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/16/14 07:25 PM
One of the things I noted when I was looking for mine was that a high percentage of landscape companies seem to prefer Echo.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 02:10 AM
Echo are really good for the price. Redmax are some of the most powerful Weed Eaters.. But, they are 600$+. For normal residential use the PAS 225 is fine.. Some times i wish i would have gotten the PAS, which has a larger motor.. But, that machine would have been another 150$.. i edge,weed eat, and trim shrubs with my 225.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 02:28 AM
Anyone have a Hitachi trimmer. It has a commercial rated motor, albeit a bit small, and gets pretty good reviews.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 01:25 PM
Here ya go....

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/f...CFYhsfgodyg4Aeg
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 01:30 PM
Well, at least the warranty is close to my budget crazy
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 01:43 PM
It's on sale, Adrian.

You can't afford NOT to buy it.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 10:15 PM
Of course a goat doesn't require gas AND gives milk. Just sayin..
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/17/14 10:48 PM
Figures an old one would recommend same.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/18/14 03:22 AM
Adrian, pretty much all of the landscape guys around here (Dallas) use echo stuff.. keep in mind these guys are running these things for 8 - 10 hrs a day for about 6 months... This would be the equivalent amount of about 5 - 10 Yrs of home owner use.. there's a reason they use echo stuff.. they don't wear out. A lot of guys use the pas225, which is not a commercial rated piece of equiptment...

Food for thought.
Posted By: Murph Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/18/14 11:47 AM
Re. they don't wear out...
They do if you don't mix oil in your gas. Of course, nor should they survive that. I'm just a bit bitter that my Echo blade cutter I bought to keep clear an area where we planted some young trees was destroyed by my Dad who borrowed it and poured the wrong gas container into it. No warranty of course either for that.

Anyways' I'm just happy to still have my Dad at this point so I can forgive his mistake. I am losing my never ending battle to my stupid neighbor's bamboo though. So I may need to reinvest.

If you ever see a neighbor planting bamboo, thinking it would make a nice privacy line, DON"T LET HIM! Do whatever it takes short of gunfire. I lose about 2 half days a month from late spring till late fall getting rid of the stuff. That valuable time adds up over our limited summer season.

Hmm where is that rant of the day thread again?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/18/14 01:08 PM

Hmm where is that rant of the day thread again?

Search terms: "Get off my lawn!"
Posted By: JohnK Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/19/14 02:10 AM
Adrian, the trimmer tests are in the May CR issue. Several of the Echo models got a "recommended" rating, including the 225(the PAS version wasn't specifically tested)Alex uses. The top-ranked model however, and one of the less expensive(about $130)was the Stihl FS-38(curved shaft, bump feed).

A point they made which should be significant to us is that the gas-powered models were loud enough to require hearing protection(generally above 80dB, which might be surprising to some who casually discuss 100dB listening).
Posted By: dakkon Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/19/14 02:32 AM
poured the wrong gas container into it.

Anyone i loan my equipment to i have buy the below fuel and use it.. This way i don't have to worry. I've done this with my chainsaw as well as other 2 cycle power tools... I figure if i'm loaning out a several hundred dollar power tool, they can spend the 6 bucks... Granted a father is a bit different. But, for a family member i would give them their own bottle... For future reference.

BTW, this is the only fuel i use in the chainsaw. Due to the fuel lines not being easily accessible, and every fuel station in my area has some percentage of ethanol in the fuel, even premium.....

Good luck Murph.

http://www.trufuel50.com/
Posted By: MichaelTrottar Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/20/14 11:29 AM
Some periods i wish i would have gotten the PAS, which has a bigger engine.. But, that device would have been another 150$.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/21/14 04:13 PM
Anyone used a Jonsered trimmer? there's a good deal on one locally but can't find much in the way of reviews.

Jonsered
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/21/14 04:52 PM
Oh Jeeeesh, just buy a trimmer already! smile
Posted By: MMM Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 06/22/14 08:58 PM
My weed wacker never start leaks fuel over everywhere finally stopped working. So I bought a new one.

I went with the ECHO. I decided to get the GT225 over the SRM225 because I wanted to be able to string my own pre-cut lines over some fan-dangled auto feed that I never found worked right for me anyways.

I was thinking that you can buy a braided steel cutting line and use that if you find that plastic doesn't work for you. To cut my own lines is no big deal. The pre-cut ones are a total rip off. They sell a 280' spool of the .095 for $16 compared to 50 precut 8" lines for $13. I figure I can cut 400 of my own for the $16.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Grass/Brush Trimmer - 08/11/14 01:43 PM
Bought the Jonsered brush cutter on a super deal locally...$149 vs the reg price of $249! used it a couple of times so far, easy to start, initial quality seems very good, well balanced, has a 1.1HP motor so it's reasonably powered. It is a tap'n'go style but it appears to work well.
© Axiom Message Boards