Axiom Home Page
Posted By: AAAA The Gift of Geek - 12/29/14 03:19 AM
We left the island for the weekend to visit my wifes folks in NB. I knew before we left I was hanging a TV for them so I grabbed my copy of Disney WOW as well.

After we were done hanging the TV (60" sharp LCD- Lower tier) I did a quick and dirty settings optimize and learned the price for "the geek squad" to come out, hang a TV, make the connections and set up the picture is $600! I also optimized their smaller samsung 42" LCD and achieved a pretty nice picture on it.

I also set up their beloved BOSE 2.1 system and used restraint when asked "pretty good for $500, eh?" My response "I guess so, I'm not sure what I'd buy for $500 right now."

The sharp came a huge leap with a very minimal effort in time and cost. The samsung was much closer from factory, but still a noticable improvement. They were thrilled with the result and "booked" me for more work in the near future.

It is rewarding to help others out with your craft, whatever it is. They saved money and were jazzed about something I take for granted. I know it gets tiring to hear about someones computer needing help, or wifi setup, or to see someones HTIB or TV aspect ratio setup wholly incorrectly.

'Tis the season to help someone out. Feels great. They will be blown away by what you have to offer. wink
Posted By: Lampshade Re: The Gift of Geek - 12/29/14 03:36 AM
I can't remember what forum he was on, but the producer for WOW is a pretty nice guy to talk to. Of course he got ripped pretty good by people who disagreed with his ideas.
Posted By: fredk Re: The Gift of Geek - 12/29/14 05:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

It is rewarding to help others out with your craft, whatever it is. They saved money and were jazzed about something I take for granted...

Particularly when it's family. I spend several hours rolling my dad's computer (which he unfortunately didn't consult me on before buying) back to Win7 because he hates Win8. I've enjoyed many years of construction/repair advice from my father, so it's nice to be able to give back for a change.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Gift of Geek - 12/29/14 11:44 AM
I'm not as knowledgeable as most of you, but I absolutely LOVE being able to help friends and relatives with their computers. I couldn't do a rollback to windows 7, but I can help solve software problems and help keep a computer running clean. I do a lot of long distance work using Teamviewer (TeamViewer.com). Works like a charm.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: The Gift of Geek - 12/30/14 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
long distance work using Teamviewer (TeamViewer.com). Works like a charm.

Indeed a good program though i've found if both computers don't have the latest update, running the same version, you can have frustrating problems getting connected.

I used to use Logmein/Hamachi but compared to Teamviewer, the sign in, setup and connection method is stupidly more complex.

Why did MS ever have to kill off Netmeeting?
Such another simple application that worked so well in this regard.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Gift of Geek - 12/30/14 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Indeed a good program though i've found if both computers don't have the latest update, running the same version, you can have frustrating problems getting connected.
I've never had a problem. Of course, I'm dealing with folks who are not computer savvy so I have them download the "For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport" version. They feel more secure knowing once we are finished, there is nothing of the program left on their computer meaning nobody can access their computer, even me.
© Axiom Message Boards