Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme 12' desk - 01/27/15 10:32 PM
So I think I'm finally getting my garage converted. We'll be moving our computers in there so we'll need a desk. The best solution I can think of is a 12' long shelf/desktop along one wall. I've found a guy on Etsy that can make some very nice heavy duty reinforced brackets. This place is local and can provide the wood (144"x24"x1.5" african mahogany). It's real nice, they'll even bullnose an edge for me, but will cost about $600 - unfinished! That brings an extremely simple shelf/desk to $750.

So my question is...less expensive solutions that will still have the same look/feel I'm going for - any ideas?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 12' desk - 01/27/15 11:49 PM
hehehehe...just called the place. That online price was wrong. I've got two quotes now, both are north of $900 for a piece of lumber like that in walnut (didn't get price for mahogany, but it's likely similar). I thought $600 was too high! WTF!?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 12:39 AM
I am completely unsurprised by that price. A 12' long 2x12 of cheapo pine will run you north of $50. More exotic woods... well, they're much more expensive than pine even in easier sizes like 1x4s!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 01:10 AM
I may just have to suck it up then. This might be too beautiful to say no to.

http://shophouseofhardwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/custom-hardwood-tabletops.jpg
Posted By: brwsaw Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 05:16 AM
I'd consider laminating and staining my own before spending that much on a slab.
It does look nice but so does the wad of $50's is robbing from you.
Posted By: CV Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 07:26 AM
I'd love some pretty wood shelves as opposed to the melamine ones I bought for my media storage for $11.something apiece, but I decided to be thrifty and lazy. I'd love to swap out what I've done with something nicer down the road, though, but yeah, I think I'd want to learn to finish the wood myself rather than plunk down that kind of change.

Those brackets and that wood would look very nice.
Posted By: fredk Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 07:50 AM
CV, I believe the price is unfinished. I'm not surprised at the price. We've cut down most of the worlds large trees. What's left is very dear.
Posted By: CV Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 07:56 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
CV, I believe the price is unfinished. I'm not surprised at the price. We've cut down most of the worlds large trees. What's left is very dear.

Oh, yes, I glossed over that. I'll be in the budget section of the lumber yard.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: 12' desk - 01/28/15 10:44 PM
Reclaimed wood would get my first vote. More character, better wood, etc.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 12' desk - 01/29/15 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
Reclaimed wood would get my first vote. More character, better wood, etc.

And a better story.
To say that yep, my desktop came from a sunken Spanish galleon beam...is super nifty.
Posted By: fredk Re: 12' desk - 01/29/15 07:16 PM
"Yep, reclaimed wood. got it when they tore the McDonald's down the road down."

Hmm... doesn't have the same ring as Spanish galleon wood. Wonder what that stuff is going for.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 12' desk - 01/30/15 12:40 AM
Who the hell would ever tear down a Mcdonalds?
I mean, Canadian Target stores, sure, but McDonalds?
© Axiom Message Boards