Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MMM Buying a new Cell Phone -- Need HELP - 05/21/15 01:39 AM
I am not a cell phone power user. I have had for my past cell phone a Nexus S (that my wife lost) and a Nexus Galaxy. This last one gets horrible reception and lasts about 18 hours on standby charge or 3 hours talk. I have tried replacing the battery and it doesn't make that much of a difference.

So I am booting Wind Mobile to the curb and buying into a new cell phone with Kudo/Fido/Virgin...

I'd love to get an iPhone6+ but simply cant justify the cost or afford one.

I have considered the Nexus5.

Pros: has Android 5.1.1 and google does actually update the device for a bit.
Cons: bad battery life, camera sucks. no SD card slot.

I have considered the LG G3

Pros: SD and double battery life over the Nexus5
Cons: Still on 5.0 (though they might upgrade it to 5.1.1 as LG made the Nexus5)

I have considered the Samung Note 4 & G6

Pros: very fast device.
Cons: price and still no word on Android 5.1

I want a phone for the next 2.5 years that will work reliably.
Posted By: MMM Re: Buying a new Cell Phone -- Need HELP - 05/21/15 11:10 PM
I ended up going with Koodo and getting an LG G3 phone. the cost from each of the lower cost cell phone providers worked out to about the same no matter what one you went with. Koodo and Virgin use the same towers so their coverage is identical.

I went with koodo as they technically sold the G3 for less money. The cost on contract was the same, but if for some reason you lost your phone, your early upgrade replacement cost on koodo was cheeper as they charged $460 for their phone where as Virgin was charging $699.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buying a new Cell Phone -- Need HELP - 05/22/15 12:13 PM
I work for a phone/TV/Internet company so I can't answer without perceived bias.

Actually, to be honest, I am very distanced from the Mobility side of the biz. So I only know about phone models from what I read on the same blogs you have undoubtedly already read. It's actually the only piece I don't get involved in.

Sorry I Couldn't be more helpful. I do have access to phone experts though if you have a specific question on the gear. I can't comment on service, for obvious reasons.
Posted By: MMM Re: Buying a new Cell Phone -- Need HELP - 05/24/15 12:05 PM
Just a word of warning.

My tab contract with Wind Mobile had ended so I thought I was free and clear to move myself to a new Cell provider. The process is supposed to be that you don't cancel your account with the old cell phone company as then you would loose your telephone number. So you need to take in your old contract to the new provider and they port your number over.

Well it seems that some .. ie WindMobile didn't like this and mysteriously decided that my phone suddenly did have $300 worth of a TAB on the phone and stuck me with a bill for $430 for moving my phone made up of charges for another months service even though I effectively canceled with them, Data charges for my phone after it was ported to the new provider and this TAB.

Seems all is not well in the Telecom market place.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Buying a new Cell Phone -- Need HELP - 05/24/15 05:43 PM
I had a mixed experience with Wind as well. They tried to pull the same thing on me. I gave up my number and told them I was ending my contract because I was leaving the province. (I was) It was a 1/2 hour call with the customer retention department before they let me go. Painful.

We also had issues buying my Wife's phone though different Wind locations. It turns out they are all franchises and not all are official wind stores. The unofficial ones rip you off by selling you things that are normally included with the activation of your phone... or charging you to activate the phone period (which can be done online for free.) They tried to charge us 50$ to activate and another $50 for a sim card! I went up one side of him and down the other and went to an official wind location. Night and day difference. I would not go wind again, even though it was the cheapest option at the time.
© Axiom Message Boards