Axiom Home Page
Posted By: AAAA Removing stickers before staining - 05/24/15 10:24 PM
Does anyone know a good method to remove the adhesive residue left by a sticker so stain will take evenly to the area?

I'm thinking I might just have to sand it out prior to stain. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/25/15 01:48 PM
And they always put them on the good side! Denatured alcohol.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/25/15 02:01 PM
maybe you can try "GOO GONE" which i bought at Canadian Tire.
sticker says: "removes stickers, grease, gum, crayon, tape.

tried it a few times, and it works well.
Posted By: Murph Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/25/15 02:26 PM
I use Peanut Butter for this all the time, depending on the material.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 08:39 AM
Here I was thinking summer hiatus had began and you guys spring into action. Thanks! I'll try the denatured alcohol first.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 09:06 PM
TREVOR! DO NOT DO THOSE THINGS! They will leave residue behind in the pores and grain lines of the wood. That's exactly what you are trying to avoid!

Since it's all about poison at this point, if the den. alc. and some gentle sanding doesn't work, go straight to "dead man wiping," and use lacquer thinner. Seriously.

I know a guy who says it replaces everything else and he needs to keep only it in his work van. On the other hand, for someone only 62, he's been drooling when he speaks lately, so...be careful.

Lots of ventilation. And, unless it's an explosion-proof fan, no fan.

xxoo,
Everybody's Favorite Pedant,
Bob
Posted By: AAAA Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 09:15 PM
I figured I'd go with your advice cause you are in the know. The kisses and hugs confused me. Are you off your meds? Call someone an asshole, quick!! laugh

Good Ole Bob. Thanks for looking out!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
I figured I'd go with your advice cause you are in the know. The kisses and hugs confused me. Are you off your meds? Call someone an asshole, quick!! laugh

Good Ole Bob. Thanks for looking out!

They were for everyone who hates any advice I give, but read my posts just the same. JB is not an a-hole, at all. Murph is a major one, which is why we're good.

As for the meds, I purposely miss two doses before I login here. The rest of the time I'm always on meds.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 09:33 PM
A little over 5 years ago, when I was new here, a whole bunch of people made fun of my recommendation that one cleans all shellac-based products with denatured alcohol. Really; posts of moving images of "me" on fire, the whole lot.

The truth is, if I told them shellac was made from crushed beetles (there's a wicked die-off of the lac beetle in China right now and the price has soared), and, wait for it, den. alc. (only!), they really woulda had a howl.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Removing stickers before staining - 05/26/15 10:13 PM
Fascinating. Thanks for the info on the lac beetle. Cool.
© Axiom Message Boards