Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Over Ear Headphones - 05/27/15 12:49 AM
So its summer and I like to listen to music while I walk the dog but ear buds just are not cutting it. I am looking for an over the ear headphone that is not too big and is decently light. I listen mostly to classic rock so the midbass the kick drum have to sound tight , not boomy or bloated.

So if you were buying or have bought headphones what is/was your favorite.

Richard
Posted By: 7800 Re: Over Ear Headphones - 05/29/15 12:11 AM
I've got nothing to compare them to but I'm happy with my Sennheiser 558's. I listen to mostly modern and classic rock through a Marantz AV7701 and Arcam BDP 300 as primary source. I'm like the open design as I'm not cocerned with sound leakage. The lower end sounds tight me.
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/02/15 01:48 AM
Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a great set for the price.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/02/15 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By 7800
I've got nothing to compare them to but I'm happy with my Sennheiser 558's. I listen to mostly modern and classic rock through a Marantz AV7701 and Arcam BDP 300 as primary source. I'm like the open design as I'm not cocerned with sound leakage. The lower end sounds tight me.

That's too funny, I bought a set of these for my kid Christmas 2013 , never thought to try them. I will see how they sound being powered by my iPhone.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/02/15 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By 1sweetspot
Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a great set for the price.

I will look into these as well, Amazon is great about returns.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/02/15 10:27 AM
I love my ATH-M50s. That said, I would use IEMs rather than over ear headphones for dog walking, particularly in summer.
Posted By: 7800 Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/02/15 06:20 PM
That is quite a coincidence! Not exactly a rare item but still...If you plug them in to your home setup I'd be curious as to your opinion on the sound.
Posted By: Wid Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/03/15 12:39 AM

I like my IEM's but not while out walking, I like to be aware of what's going on around me.

I highly recommend Koss KSC 75's. They are pretty cheap and sound WAY above their price point.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/03/15 10:02 AM
Ditto the Widster.
Posted By: MMM Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/18/15 09:25 PM
I just picked up a set of the M50x and they sounded OK. But then I plugged them into an Audioengine D1 and that brought them to life on my mac. The detail and crispness of the sound was amazing.

I am curious now if I should be looking into something like i Fiio E11 or E12
Posted By: AAAA Re: Over Ear Headphones - 06/18/15 11:05 PM
Cool Matt! My father in law has the AE D1 with the ATHM50s as well. Over the course of about a year of listening to them he stopped listening to his computer speakers altogether.... They are a pretty great combo.

Then someone had to go ahead and get him powered M2s..... Now he resorts to the cans as plan B when hes shot "the look". laugh

hope you like em for a long time to come. smile
© Axiom Message Boards