Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/03/15 12:49 PM
I got the notice to install on my office PC and my laptop.

I was thinking about waiting a few weeks...Until MS gets to about the tenths service pack.... But I really hate Windows 8 that's on my laptop.

Anyone have a report on 10 yet?
I upgraded 2 laptops at our house to Windows 10. Upgrade was surprisingly easy... BUT...

Both were old enough laptop models that Dell didn't have Windows 10 audio drivers for them... Yes, AUDIO DRIVERS! Like one of the most basic things.

Everything else worked but sound. There is an option under Settings where you can roll back to your previous O/S which I had to do on both laptops. That worked flawlessly too.

I am holding off on any more significant computer at our house for the same reasons that you are (waiting for service packs, etc). The two laptops are used pretty much just for web surfing and the occasional Netflix/movie watching, so they were pretty basic installs. Both were Windows 7 before the upgrade.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/03/15 04:09 PM
I usually wait for the first service pack. That said, Microsoft has been pretty good with the last few Windows releases. Win8 was a good (clean) release, even if you didn't like the forced move to tiles. I got around that on both my kids computers with a 3rd party shell.
Posted By: CV Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/03/15 06:34 PM
It sounds like they won't be doing service packs going forward, but rather continuous smaller updates.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/03/15 08:50 PM
Service packs are just roll-ups of a bunch of smaller releases. They'll still do that for the professional/enterprise crowd. SP1 is usually the point of stability for a new OS release.

Alternatively it would be a 10.1 or 10.2 release.
Windows 10 is the best to date IMO. It is a great operating system.

Don't wait for the "get windows icon" taskbar thingy.

The easiest and fastest way to get windows 10 is from here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/04/15 04:59 AM
Hey Bluejays, is this a full OS or just an upgrade? I would like to install in in a VM to play for a while before I upgrade.

Hmm, If I installed my home premium in a VM and then up graded it... As long as it lets me upgrade an unlicensed install, that should work.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/04/15 05:08 AM
Very cool! Looks like its a full on ISO creator that gives access to Win10 Professional as well. I can set this up in a licensed VM at work for evaluation.
Originally Posted By fredk
Hey Bluejays, is this a full OS or just an upgrade? I would like to install in in a VM to play for a while before I upgrade.

Hmm, If I installed my home premium in a VM and then up graded it... As long as it lets me upgrade an unlicensed install, that should work.

I ran the 64-bit tool and did the automatic upgrade option (no usb or dvd needed). It gave me the full 64-bit windows 10 home edition.
I am sincerely curious as to why so many people hate on Win8. What is it that you don't like about it. I updated my laptop last nite, went off without a hitch and honestly so far I don't care for the edge browser but I will give it some time.

Rant On smile
I am using Windows 8 on my work Surface Pro 3 and have zero issues with it. I actually use it more like a desktop replacement in the office with full dock, 2 external monitors, full keyboard/mouse, and wired ethernet. I use the touch screen and non-touch monitors together just fine.

I think that for someone that doesn't have a touch screen display, then the system is a bit cumbersome, but that is why there is a "desktop" option.
I am not a computer super user but I have served movies to my xbox 360's ,I run a bunch of different bluray software and have a dozen devices on my network with zero issues. The only thing I have done is added a program called Start8 and run desktop mode and it looks like im on win7. I find the network portion a little less friendly than in Win7 but 8.1 is quite stable and solid for me.

For anyone interested in a clean install the upgrade needs to be done first before the clean install so as to register your hardware with MS.

this article explains it.
Posted By: CV Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/05/15 06:06 AM
Well, I did the upgrade. We'll see if I have any issues, but so far so good.
Not to mix topics, but does your girlfriend like Win 10 Charles? wink
OK, I'll have to click the button this weekend.

How do I find this so called desktop option? I freeking hate this stupid "app" interface. I put icons on my desktop for programs I use often, and I find it easier to find programs not used frequently the old fashioned way > programs all......
Originally Posted By Socketman
I am sincerely curious as to why so many people hate on Win8. What is it that you don't like about it. I updated my laptop last nite, went off without a hitch and honestly so far I don't care for the edge browser but I will give it some time.

Rant On smile

Use firefox or chrome.

I changed a lot of the privacy settings (the stuff that automatically gets sent to MS, deleted a bunch of apps and what downloads in the background, cleaned up the start menu, removed the search in the taskbar. I made the look very minimal. It runs great.

I made some recent additions to my PC and should fire up GTA 5 and Witcher 3 in 4k and see how these games run with windows 10. Haven't had the time to test any gaming out on Windows 10 just yet.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/05/15 05:08 PM
Did you remember to uncheck the "email your firstborn to Microsoft" option?

The most important item to change appears to be how the computer updates. MS sets your computer to be able to stream updates to other computers on the internet by default. I can't see how they thought that was a good idea.
Swiftpoint GT
I upgraded my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 yesterday afternoon. I've experienced a couple of slowdown periods yesterday. Today, so far, no slow downs. I'm using the 'free' version of Google Fiber that gives me 5 mps (better than my Time Warner 1.5 mps).

It seems very similar to Windows 8.1, except the APP selections show up in the lower left box after clicking on the start button, and you can have multiple desktops, which I haven't tried yet.

There is no Guest account for visitors that just want to check their facebook pages, etc. They would need to either use your account, or setup their own account on your computer.

There is an option to switch to a local login (before Microsoft account access), if you choose, but you can't toggle back and forth, it's either one or the other.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/13/15 05:42 PM
CatBrat. The guest account is just a standard user account automatically created by the OS at install. The may have gotten rid of it in windows 10 or it may just be disabled in your local security policy.

There is no need to link your computer to a live account, though MS has done their best to make you think you do.
So far not really impressed , just a bunch of window dressing . Keeps turning my computer on in the middle of the night to update and so far no way to change that behavior to a sensible time.
Edge is pissing me off. As far as the OS, I really do not have anything to say, good or bad. I like it on my touch screen laptop more than 8.1, but on my desktop....can't tell much of a difference.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/16/15 02:07 PM
Windows 10 worked fine for me for 2 days. Then, there was an update that disabled my Start button. I spent hours trying to correct it before I gave up. I've now gone back to Win7.
Posted By: onn Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/19/15 10:52 PM
I installed Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago be uninstalled it last night. I got tired of trying to boot up my laptop and the constant freezing of my screen frown
Sorry to hear its not working out for you, is the laptop fairly new? You could try a full clean install that may help. Something I found that I appreciate is the ability to click on the network icon in my task bar and get straight to the advance network setting and it has some extras in there as well. Its taking a bit of getting used to since I was running 8.1 with Stardock so it looked and acted like windows 7 but I am slowly getting used to 10. Still don't like how pushy windows update is , seems to be a lot of updates and then rebooting but hopefully that will slow down soon.

Richard
Been having problems with my laptop keyboard since the upgrade, that requires a re-boot. No key will work. Not sure what's causing that. Re-boot fixes it though. I still like 10 better than 8. I still don't like Edge.
Posted By: fredk Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/24/15 03:50 PM
Thought I'd post here while I'm waiting for my third download of Win10 to complete.

My son has been having more and more bluescreen and other OS failures over the last month. We finally ran checkdisk to verify there were no hard drive issues and did a mbr/bxd repair only to have it get corrupted later the same day.

While perusing the windows system log, we noticed a number of occurrences of "failed to install Windows 10" log messages. I checked and he had updates set to install automatically. Turned that off and his computer now seems fine. Hmm...

PS. Anyone want a Win10 install disk in Czechoslovakian?
I haven't had a single problem going from 8.1 to 10.

The only thing I had to do was update the driver of my ethernet adapter for Windows 10 on the Asus website.
Posted By: CV Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/25/15 05:36 AM
No issues here yet, either.
Two interesting Forbes articles regarding "free" Windows 10.

Subscription based?

Windows 10 starts charging for missing features

And lastly, an interesting post in their comments section.

"You can also use a product key reveal program after you upgrade and find out what your product key is. I upgraded & desired a clean install so used Belarc Advisor to find the product key, made a note of it, and did a clean install like I would normally do and it activated Windows just fine the 2nd time. I also now have a product key in case I want to do a clean install again and won’t have to depend upon the MS servers to remember my equipment."
Posted By: INANE Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 08/29/15 08:56 PM
As a user I think Win 10 is great, as a SA I'm not sure yet.
Any newer thoughts on the Win 10 update? I weird friend asked me, so I thought I would ask you guys.

I'm also tired of the incessant pop-ups!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 01/01/16 11:14 PM
I'm still holding out on my main computer, but I'm running it on my laptop. So far, so good.
Seems to be running just fine so far on both my puters.
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Any newer thoughts on the Win 10 update? I weird friend asked me, so I thought I would ask you guys.

I'm also tired of the incessant pop-ups!

Scroll 3/4 of the way down the page to find GWX.exe uninstall instructions.
What pop-ups are this GWX supposed to be responsible for?

Only pop-ups I get are browser related. I moved to Chrome, and installed AdBlock Pro to stop that nonsense.
Originally Posted By michael_d
What pop-ups are this GWX supposed to be responsible for?

Only pop-ups I get are browser related. I moved to Chrome, and installed AdBlock Pro to stop that nonsense.

Upon loading Windows, you frequently get a pop-up box appear above the taskbar. It doesn't have a fade time, so you have to manually close it.
I successfully loaded Windows10 on an OLD, Core2 Duo previously running Vista. It was a triumph. No regrets.
I have been at home all morning doing all day conference call meetings with my employer (which is a managed services contractor) so that I am not at my client's site and can participate more freely. Anyway, I am on my Surface Pro tablet for that, and decided to "click the button" on my primary desktop machine...

I did the typical cleanup of a few things, but not much, and just hit "go"... Took about an hour to install, maybe a little less. Everything but 1 thing is working 100%. The 1 thing that isn't working was the old Windows 7 backup/restore... So I just cleared my 4TB external backup drive, and set up a new backup under the new Windows 10 backup/restore. Sure, it will take a while to back everything up due to it being a USB connected drive, but considering everything else is running perfectly, no complaints here.

The computer boots faster, and applications seem to load noticeably faster as well.
Posted By: MMM Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 01/21/16 12:55 PM
I am a bit stuck in I would like the media so that if/when win10 screws up, I can re-install.

The microsoft web site will download the first 2.15gb of the 3.7gb iso file then just stop. I have tried it 3 times and no luck.

Guess windows 10 is not so stable for me as it crashes on my download.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 01/21/16 01:40 PM
I have been running it since the release - and some pre release candidates - on a fleet of computers, and I have not had any issues.
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I am a bit stuck in I would like the media so that if/when win10 screws up, I can re-install.

The microsoft web site will download the first 2.15gb of the 3.7gb iso file then just stop. I have tried it 3 times and no luck.

Guess windows 10 is not so stable for me as it crashes on my download.

Interesting. I've downloaded the media twice (32 bit and 64 bit) and had no issues downloading it.
Posted By: MMM Re: Windows 10, should I click the button yet? - 01/21/16 09:43 PM
tried again today 3 more times and got a 736mb and two more 2150mb files of which zero of them work.

Not good for us with a capped bandwidth. It's a 50mb DSL service so it's not like a slow connection. oh well.
I have done the update on 1 desktop and my laptop, both were running updated 8.1 from original Windows 7 loads. Both went very well and have had no issues. Over Christmas Windows 10 OEM disc went on sale so I decided to buy it in the event I ever purchased a new SSD for my laptop, as luck would have it the SSD I wanted also went on sale so I installed the new SSD in my laptop and installed the fresh Windows 10. I have to say the fresh install is much nicer than the updated version but it could also just be the SSD making things seem better.
As a friendly public service announcement.....

If you ever find yourself trying to figure out why all your windows are maximized, and they will not allow you to reduce their size (not minimize), and task view behaves strangely.....

Chances are, you are in tablet mode. Click on that notifications button at the bottom right corner. Unclick/unselect tablet mode.

Took me about two friggin hours to figure that out yesterday.
Originally Posted By michael_d
As a friendly public service announcement.....

If you ever find yourself trying to figure out why all your windows are maximized, and they will not allow you to reduce their size (not minimize), and task view behaves strangely.....

Chances are, you are in tablet mode. Click on that notifications button at the bottom right corner. Unclick/unselect tablet mode.

Took me about two friggin hours to figure that out yesterday.

You poor b@stard.
I'm avoiding Win10 unless i'm allowed to decide on what updates i want and don't want.
I'm looking at a list of "updates" on Win7 at the moment which won't be going on my computer. Thankfully that option still exists on this OS.

I see Linux somewhere soon in my future.
© Axiom Message Boards