Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobKay R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 09:16 AM
I cannot believe it! Long bout with cancer @ 69. Whoa!
Posted By: MMM Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 12:43 PM
He lived hard, and partied harder. Gave us some great music and will be missed. Will have to raise a glass of Glen and toast him tonight.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 01:44 PM
I saw someone else on the internet say "The last interesting person has died." I'll be on a Bowie binge until further notice.
Posted By: Adrian Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 03:17 PM
Surprised by this news, I never knew he was ill. He's left us some great music. RIP.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 03:57 PM
Check out his last video - Lazarus - released late last week...totally haunting....
Posted By: Eno Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/11/16 11:25 PM
RIP Mr Bowie. You were a big influence in my musical tastes throughout your entire illustrious career.

Wham Bam, Thank you Man!
Posted By: fredk Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/12/16 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By Adrian
Surprised by this news, I never knew he was ill. He's left us some great music. RIP.

Nor, it seems, did a number of long time musical collaborators.

Sad day.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/12/16 01:01 AM
All day long, I kept hearing news of David Bowie’s death, but I kept hearing the same stuff over and over: That a British astronaut tweeted from the Space Station, with the background track of Space Oddity in the background.

As I listened to various Bowie tracks today, I wondered how well I could mix them.

I’m no DJ. I just did this as a fun experiment. But I thought some might enjoy it. It runs about 12 minutes but highlights (I think) 19 various better-known tracks. It’s a nice reminder of some of what he left behind.

The video bandwidth is low to keep the file small, but the audio quality is pretty good so feel free to crank it!

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u3s59b5npnxqwh/Bowie%20Multitrack%20Video.mp4?dl=0
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/18/16 07:24 PM
I probably wouldn't have even pulled up this thread if it wasn't started by Bob. Wow, what a disappointment. I mean, I'm saddened by Bowie's passing, but the lack of pithy, heartfelt, personal stories here is just...

Service around here is going all to hell.

Mark, I streamed your mix and enjoyed it. Thanks for doing it and for sharing it.

Anyway...

It's a rare thing to be innovative, smart and successful. That's why Bowie was so iconic.

I first became aware of him when "Fame" took the country by storm in 1975. I was 11, and it pretty much blew my mind relative to song structure and technology. Six years later, I bought myself a CD player (hot new tech!) as a high school graduation present, and ChangesOneBowie was one of the first disks I acquired. Since I didn't have THAT many disks, I consumed that thing voraciously. I know it's a compilation, but what genius.

Just a couple years later, Bowie released "Let's Dance" and I was transfixed. Fortuitously, I attended his related tour performance of the first concert in the newly opened Tacoma Dome (the Tubes gloriously opened). It is a great memory of a spectacular show.

David and I didn't really do much together after that beyond revisiting the glory years. He tried to challenge me but I didn't want to be challenged.

But he nevertheless leaves me with an overwhelming sense of how great art can invigorate lives.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/18/16 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By tomtuttle
the lack of pithy, heartfelt, personal stories

Dave and I used to go clubbing when we were all Young Dudes. But I was seeing Jerry Hall and he started seeing Iman and those two didn't get along with each other, so Dave and I just kinda stopped hanging out so much.

It was never reported in the press or Fanzines, but he really, really liked pistachio ice cream.

I didn't want to post earlier, lest people think I'm just name dropping. The way my friend Morgan Freeman does.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/18/16 10:41 PM
That's better. Sounds awesome.

Related: Mott the Hoople drummer Dale Griffin has died. Another thing I meant to mention earlier was how Bowie led me to discover so many other artists that I may not have found otherwise (like Mott the Hoople and Roxy Music).
Posted By: BBIBH Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/18/16 10:44 PM
Lemmy as well, now Glen Frey.....
Posted By: Lampshade Re: R.I.P.David Bowie - 01/18/16 11:26 PM
Much information was brought to light this week about David Bowie.

This was my favorite: (headline from Rolling Stone online)

Slash Recalls Finding Mom Naked With David Bowie
© Axiom Message Boards