Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Haoleb Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 04:37 AM
A couple of weeks ago i moved my system around, one because i was getting tired of the way my room was arranged, and because i wanted to be able to use my 2 channel system for when i watch movies or play games insead of the small system composed of old componets i had. So i got rid of my old la-z-boy chair and brought in an old couch, big one. like 9 feet long. And moved my ht and stereo system together. The sound i think is the same, if not better now. Although my listening seat isint nearly as comfortable. And lastnight i fooled around with speaker placement and came up with a less toed in setup. With them not toed in at all, i lost some of the focus and detail to the soundstage, so this is the perfect solution. Not as small of a sweetspot and confined as before, and still detail and precise. The rack is made my myself, and i finally put the finish on it a couple months ago, looks ALOT better than it did plain. Got the speakers on spikes and biwired with my Audioquest type 4 for the highs and some 12 gauge RS mega cable with bannanas for the bass. Dvd player is just the PS2 and tv is just a 19 inch toshiba. Not much but good enough for me! And also as you can see the couch i raised up on some bricks to make it to the best height for listening.

Posted By: Haoleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 04:41 AM
wow, i just noticed somethin weird. on three of those pics i took you can see a white circle, in different places in each one. its not something on the lens thats for sure. couldnt be light reflections. Ive seen this phenomena on tv when people photograph haunted locations. perhaps there is a spirit amongst me! Who could blame em, id wanna come back and listen to great music on this system too. i better go play some music now to keep it happy
Posted By: JohnK Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 05:14 AM
Yes Brandon, I had same thing happen; it turned out to be evil spirits who wanted to control my system. You'd better call a priest for an exorcism.

Nice setup, but you know what sushi is going to suggest that you need.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 06:03 AM
Yeah, thats why i have the blinds, when i get the projector i can just close the blinds and viola, the big screen!

I dont watch many movies so what ive got is fine, of course a big flatscreen would be very nice but i aint made of money
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 06:11 AM
I guess I'll stop complaining that my TV doesn't live up to my speakers. LOL
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 07:32 AM
I really like the angle on your first shot. It gives it an ominous feel.

Oh, and I think I have an explanation for those white circles. You'll notice that they only occur in the photos where there is bright glare from your flash. In the second and third picture, the flash glare is on the TV. In the fourth, it's on the window. The circle locations are definitely consistent with lens flare. Sorry to ruin your haunting hypothesis.

Posted By: littleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 12:16 PM
Just curious, what receiver are you using. I don't recognize it.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 03:26 PM
Its not a reciever. its a 2 channel integreated amp.

NAD C370
Posted By: chrono Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 06:08 PM
wow i never realized how deep the M80's are.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 08:22 PM
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Those things are immense! (in one dimension, at least).
Posted By: OGS20 Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/22/03 09:57 PM
I think he meant the tuner? A Sansui 515/717 ... ?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 01:35 AM
well. whatever he meant.

NAD C370 amp
Cambridge D300 cdp
Sansui Tu-517 tuner
My own design air mass isolation device.

and axioms M80s
Posted By: Joe90 Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 01:47 AM
OK, I'll bite..."air mass isolation device"???

Cheers.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 01:57 AM
From Websters: "air mass isolation device" (noun) - chunk of wood with metal spikes on the bottom. Sometimes stained so it doesnt look just like a chunk of wood with spikes on the bottom, but an EXPENSIVE chunk of wood with spikes on the bottom.

Alright, maybe thats not exactly right, but im still at work and cranky =)
Posted By: Joe90 Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 02:14 AM
Works for me twop...provided your quoting from Webster's unabridged version. What about a painted (versus stained) inexpensive chunk of wood with expensive spikes on the bottom?

Cheers.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 02:35 AM
If I recall correctly he opted for the cheap, stained piece of wood with a tire innertube. I find it VERY hard to believe that will make a cd sound better, but at least he didn't pay hundreds of dollars to find out.

Posted By: Haoleb Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 02:59 AM
Yes, its a peice of 3/4 inch birch plywood with "retainer" peices on the outer edges with an innertube in the middle. No, i dont believe it makes much of a difference. I have done listening tests and i coulndt really detect any differences. It certainly didnt sound any worse with it. But it looks cool and it DOES keep vibratings from the floor getting to the cdp. for instance once i set it on top of my sub and played music and you can feel the vibrations on the sub but not on the platform. Now i know ya'll want me to make you one too. sorry im booked till 2007.

My isolation platform how to.
Posted By: sushi Re: Moved my system around. Pics. - 09/23/03 05:52 AM
Very nice two-channel system indeed, Brandon!

And you are possibly the first person I know who did bi-wiring with the RadioShack wires. Umm, I like the attitude! HAHAHA...
© Axiom Message Boards