Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brwsaw Output setting - 02/14/19 01:05 AM
Today I changed a setting on my Panasonic bluray player while listening to CD's and thought I would share after I recognized the instant change in sound.
My bluray player is connected by HDMI and has a built in option to select HDMI as the output for audio or to allow the player to decide (auto).
I changed it to auto and the moment I did the SQ improved.
My player is still connected by HDMI but my AVR display confirms an analog signal is playing.

It sounds more complete.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Output setting - 02/14/19 04:15 AM
What prompted you to experiment so wildly?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Output setting - 02/14/19 06:27 AM
I changed 1 thing. Lol.
I didn't know it was there previously.
I certainly wouldn't have expected quite as much change.
More good news when I stop. Lol.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Output setting - 02/14/19 10:48 AM
How does it feel to discover something new?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Output setting - 02/14/19 05:02 PM
Did you know you could pass analog through HDMI? I've been under the impression its a digital signal cable.
I need to try on pure direct and see if the signal changes back/shows 2.1 or anything other than "analog".

Edit: With respect to experimenting I was sure I already had it on the best option (PCM).I would have expected the same sound from both settings given the same information is being sent over the same cable.

Edit:To confirm it already sounded good. Now it simply sounds better.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Output setting - 02/14/19 05:10 PM
My hope is someone else will read this and experience the same change.

1% for free.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Output setting - 02/15/19 01:07 AM
Yes, maybe others can benefit.

I always expected that HDMI cables could be used for analog signals. It's a very tight tolerance cable designed for digital and that also makes it great for analog. However, the distance has to be kept to within a few feet because the gauge is small.

I think the problem with PCM is it has to be converted at least twice before it gets amplified. If the conversions aren't clean, a lot of nasties degrade the signal.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Output setting - 02/15/19 07:25 PM
So would you recommend an actual analog connection or switching back to Bitstream?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Output setting - 02/15/19 08:23 PM
I recommend whatever sounds better. I'd expect analog to sound better provided the cable isn't ridiculously long and not immersed in an electromagnetic battlefield.
© Axiom Message Boards