Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Audio Science Review Forum - 04/01/20 07:51 PM
There is a forum I stumbled onto trying to find info on an old amp I have.

Audio Science Review.

Seems like a pretty good alternative to AVS. Lots of measurements and gear reviews based on objective data. Good resource and quickly growing database.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Audio Science Review Forum - 04/01/20 08:53 PM
I found this site when I was looking at the 8805. The main guy, Amirm, is pretty harsh on gear ... really digging into the measurements. I think before the 8805 he mainly tested things like dedicated A/D's ...

He gave the 8805 a pretty poor rating as the path he tested had an S/N of about 90db. Also the THD went through the roof once the test tones got over 5khz because of harmonics you could not hear ... still he had a point ... for the price of the unit it should have been filtered out. Can't remember anything else on the 8805.

Anyway for a unit this complex with everything but the kitchen sink in it ... I kind of have to give it some leeway ... so, I bought it anyway. It will be good enough for me for a while.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to understand what's being measured and how that relates to what you hear to make realistic decisions.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Audio Science Review Forum - 04/01/20 09:22 PM
Yeah, he lambasted the NAD T777v3..... I own one and can say I’m pretty happy with it.

I like how gear within categories is ranked by measurements. Can find some strong options at good prices. Easy to see trends in certain manufacturers...
Posted By: rrlev Re: Audio Science Review Forum - 04/02/20 03:25 AM
Amirm recently tested the RMC-1.

I've been following this processor waiting for it to come out and then waiting for it to stabilize (Emotive seams to think early RMC-1 buyers are it's beta testers). Even now the unit has not fulfilled its promises (think that Dirac is finally being released for it). It's one of the reasons I went with the 8805 ... I wanted a fully debugged and working unit.

Anyway, the RMC-1's measurements came out not much better then the 8805. Amirm gave it the same score. That was unexpected. The RMC-1 is supposed to have a fully differential path which I would hope would serve some real world purpose (like to eliminate noise from other sources in the box) ... Since I didn't really dig into his review I can't really draw any conclusions but it's a very interesting data point.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Audio Science Review Forum - 04/02/20 10:06 PM
I was really surprised to see a behringer 800 get his recommendation. It measured pretty well and is very affordable compared to other amps.

Yes, he is really hard on gear, but I really think efforts like this will make some companies more accountable to results if they are compared in a black and white scientific manner to others.

The PS audio amps did pretty well. Wonder how the Axiom amps would do.
Posted By: rrlev Re: Audio Science Review Forum - 04/03/20 04:13 AM
I think he's starting to take price into consideration on giving out grades ...
© Axiom Message Boards