Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Sight - 10/25/20 03:11 PM
If our brains were located lower on our bodies, would seeing feel like looking through a periscope?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 03:50 PM
Assuming all neural connections are maintained, the field of view wouldn't change by relocating the brain. Likely though we would have never evolved into what we are now. We are the way we are because our current design works!
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/25/20 04:44 PM
You don't think you'd be thrown off by feeling where the rest of your body parts are in physical space?
Posted By: brendo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 05:29 PM
Your brain/body would make up for it. So one probably wouldn't even realize such abnormalities.

Kind of how the eyes work, We tend to have a cross eyed view naturally that our brains automatically correct. Similar to if one looses a sense or senses hearing or sight the other ones will increase to make up for it.

Japan has the technology to make such studies. Not sure if the person still exists but they had the first bionic Man/Person back around 2000. It pays to have produced most of the worlds top neurosurgeons since to 80s. Being of such importance they could easily get the next Billionaire willing to try. Not only to better science, but also become legend.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 05:42 PM
No. Proprioception is not a function of the brain's location.

The brain constructs a picture of the world by assigning various weights to signals from mechanosensory and visual neurons using mnemonic experiential data and patterns of neural activation.

The brain caries this out no matter where it's located provided the neural pathways are intact and not subjected to other stimuli like noise. I can therefore place your brain in a jar, and provided I've maintained the integrity of your neural pathways, you wouldn't know the difference until I showed you the jar.

I know this because one of my hobbies is neuroscience.
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/25/20 05:50 PM
Show me the jar, please.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 05:54 PM
I would never. You'd soil your shorts.
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/25/20 06:36 PM
It's a fascinating answer, that your senses will conspire against you knowing how your body is assembled unless you're built like we're built.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 06:41 PM
Our senses are actually very primitive. I urge everyone to watch this fascinating video rooted in science.

https://www.ted.com/talks/anil_seth...r_conscious_reality?language=en#t-433443
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/25/20 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo
Our senses are actually very primitive. I urge everyone to watch this fascinating video rooted in science.

https://www.ted.com/talks/anil_seth...r_conscious_reality?language=en#t-433443

I think I saw that before, but it was nice to hear it again. Not too convincing a talk, though, since I still fear the end of my consciousness.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/25/20 07:09 PM
It's a legitimate fear for our species. We need human consciousness to be more mobile. We have all our eggs in one basket called Earth.

If you can hang in there until 2050, maybe your consciousness can be preserved.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Sight - 10/26/20 02:20 AM
It would be tricky to implement - IIRC the eyes are wired right into the front of the brain using some extremely wide nerve bundles. I'm not sure that would work if the eyes were a few feet away from the brain.

On the other hand it seems to work fine in science fiction, from Pierson Puppeteers to Uniocs:

Puppeteers

Unioc
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/26/20 02:24 AM
Obviously a wireless adapter would have to be used, John. Sheesh!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/26/20 02:35 AM
You guys remember Yendred, the zippered-sphincter boy from The Planiverse? Love that book. If you have young kids, and you want to get them hooked on STEM, that's a good one.

https://www.amazon.in/PLANIVERSE-Dewdney/dp/0671463624
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/26/20 04:55 AM
Obviously a wireless adapter would have to be used, John. Sheesh!

We just need to develop spooky signal processing at a distance? Are there any lifeforms in sci-fi that utilize quantum entanglement?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/26/20 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by CV
[quote=Mojo]Are there any lifeforms in sci-fi that utilize quantum entanglement?

You mean...like...humans? We're stranger than fiction you know.
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/26/20 04:03 PM
You mean...like...humans? We're stranger than fiction you know.

I mean on a biological level.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sight - 10/26/20 10:50 PM
That's what I mean too. We are quantum entangled.
Posted By: CV Re: Sight - 10/27/20 06:30 AM
That's what I mean too. We are quantum entangled.

I'm dim on too many subjects. You'll have to explain how our bodies are using quantum entanglement to our advantage.
© Axiom Message Boards