Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 07:45 PM
Here you go guys...

Posted By: Saturn Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 07:48 PM
Thanks Spiff. Watch this be the last post.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 07:56 PM
I'd post, but my network is dead.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 08:09 PM
.......? must be an inside joke..
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 09:08 PM
hahhaha

i am on the outside
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/19/03 10:22 PM
Read the last few posts on this thread. It should clear things up.

Though it seems as soon as I posted this new thread, the network discussion ended.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 04:12 AM
If your network has hubs, that could definitely be a problem (force half duplex, generally slow things down). Also, I must point out that forcing full duplex instead of auto can break certain computers' networking. There's a whitepaper from Cisco around somewhere about it. I spent many moons trying to figure out the problem (not having access to the switches...). Also, what kind of backbone is there? If it's just a 100 Mbit backbone, you're toast. Also, if your servers are all on 100 Mbit, you're toast. Fun stuff...
Posted By: Saturn Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 05:31 AM
Oh...
you mean thats basic Network 101. Who did we hire then?

ps Ahhh....thats explains why the Network Manager's other side job is Kids educational Toys. She has the damn lunch full of her advertising crap.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 05:34 AM
Sometimes it has to do with momentum; you know, things just keep getting added on. Other times (sometimes the same times) it has to do with budget. Bigger companies seem to have a harder time turning around their networks. One of my clients was a large, large company, and we had to try to convince them to go to 100 Mbit for one group for a few years. At one of my other clients, a much, much smaller shop, I could get them all on Gbit for cheap. (Yeah, I know, not full utilization, but when the tech gets there on the desktop, they'll be ready).
Posted By: Saturn Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 05:38 AM
Ken;

I just checked your profile. Your in IT. Get some Axioms already you curmudgeon!!! You should be able to afford it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 05:43 AM
No, no, you see, I get a small amount of money every month for myself. Everything else goes to the household. And I'm still paying of my computer. And I work for a small company that hasn't given me a raise for 2 *%&*!! years. I shouldn't complain, though; I know people have been laid off and taken pay cuts.
Posted By: metier Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 07:04 AM
yes hubs very bad for networks, as far as auto and hardcoding speed and duplex, if you have a device that only supports auto then set any device connecting to it to auto, otherwise try to set everything to the fastest speed and full duplex if it supports full duplex. Because the problems arise if say you have 2 devices, they both can run 100 full duplex, you hard code 1 device to 100 full duplex, the other device to auto, the auto device will more then likely negotiate at 100 half duplex, which is bad, because you going to get either late collisions or crc errors, which is going to degrade your performance.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 07:06 AM
A better explanation than I had. Thank you.

And, after looking at your profile, I can see why.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 07:58 AM
I'm going to be setting up a pix in the new year. If I run into any snags, I'll drop you a line
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 08:00 AM
See, now I'm jealous. All I get to play with is Sonicwalls and the occasional Netscreen.
Posted By: metier Re: Land of the Dying Networks - 12/20/03 08:26 AM
Peter I would be more then happy to try and answer an question you would have on the Pix. I've learned so much about stereo equipment from Y'all, that it's the least I could do.
© Axiom Message Boards