Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mwc Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 12:35 AM
Whadaya think guys? Should I wait for Intel to "change HDTV as we know it" before I buy a new TV?
news.com.com/2100-1041-5126641.html
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 12:45 AM
I can't wait. I've heard nothing but great things about the PQ of LCoS. Go Intel!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 06:08 AM
Something like this might even get me to replace my 12" Philco.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 06:04 PM
Anything that helps to drive down those bloated prices is a good thing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 06:10 PM
Now you're just toying with us...

BTW, I agree with Peter.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 10:20 PM
If you didn't read the whole article in the link, here's the best part:

"By contrast, the technology used by Intel employs vast arrays of tiny electronic shutters that can alter the amount of reflected light, an approach that may allow companies to make big-screen TV sets using rear-projection technology that matches or exceeds the quality of flat-panel TVs at a much lower cost than plasma and conventional LCD."

Big screen, exceeds flat panel quality, cheaper then plasma and LCD....I'm drooling in anticipation already.

Maybe I will only have to wait 1-2 years instead of 5 or so before getting an affordable big screen with a good picture (no, I don't want a front projector in my family room)

Actually, maybe I didn't need that part in the parentheses without Sushi around
Posted By: mwc Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/20/03 10:30 PM
I worry that if I wait for this technology to come out, it won't be any less expensive because they will find a way to make us spend more on new/old features if you want the "good ones"(TVs).

What a dilemma! I have the resources to get a nice TV now but I don't know if I'll be in the same situation in a year or so .
Posted By: md55 Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/21/03 12:16 AM
I have no doubt that the technology is going to get better and cheaper. These are the very early days of HDTV and you are paying a big premium as an early adopter IMO. What I'll bet is that if you don't bank your money and wait, in that year or two you will be wanting a new set and kicking yourself for having spent twice as much for something you want to replace.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Intel to change HDTV as we know it? - 12/21/03 12:32 AM
Yes, so take that Tv money, invest it somewhere, but one in a year or two, and enjoy spending all of the leftovers from the lower price and and investment growth on more HT EQ!!
© Axiom Message Boards