Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Grexx Wood or Vinyl - 02/26/04 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if you get Wood or Vinyl when you choose your custom matte. For $95.00; it should be wood veener right?
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/26/04 10:54 PM
Unfortunately, all veneers are vinyl...even the customs...but they look impressive...I have M60's, VP150 and a set of M22's all in the Custom Warm Cherrywood and they look VERY nice.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Grexx Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/26/04 11:48 PM
Damn they charged that much for vinyl? Thats an expensive upgrade. I would of thought thats wood veener.

Is $95.00 a pair or each speaker?
Posted By: JSkip Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 12:09 AM
They say it's "per model", so I would assume it's for the pair. Although I liked some of the custom finishes, $275 for the system was too expensive, so I went with the Boston Cherry. They are very nice.
Posted By: Grexx Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 12:47 AM
How does the Vinyl compare to Wood Veeners?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 12:52 AM
Although the price for getting the high gloss veneers seems a bit steep, i challenge ppl to find another company that offers as many finishes for their speakers.
I can very much understand how there might be a larger overhead for making individual orders of specific finishes.
That option always comes with a cost.

That being said, the Axiom vinyl finish is very good and certainly very realistic. You can only tell once up close and if your guests know nothing about speakers, they will swear it is real wood.
Posted By: Grexx Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 01:02 AM
Thanks for the input guys
Posted By: jakewash Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 05:21 AM
My maple ones even feel kind of like wood. They have a kind of grainy feel to them, much like the glue on shelf edging. My wife thinks they look great.
Posted By: Grexx Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 02:08 PM
Some speaker company calls it Wood Grain Veneer and some calls it Wood Grain Vinyl.

What does Axiom uses?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 03:44 PM
who cares, its as close to the real thing as your gonna get, lets put it that way. lol.

If your very concerned about it for something like 10 bucks which is refundable with purchase i think, axiom will send you a sample of the veneer you want.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 04:25 PM
Grexx, it is vinyl, not a veneer.
A 'veneer' in the context of loudspeakers suggests real wood.
This vinyl does have a wood grain texture to it, not a huge texture but it is there.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 11:15 PM
Frankly, at my age I'd give ANYTHING to get some real wood. Sigh....
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/27/04 11:37 PM
I see Peter's got himself some stiff competition. (Yes, the pun was indeed intended.)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Wood or Vinyl - 02/28/04 12:51 AM
Thank you for understanding the point I've been trying to make.
© Axiom Message Boards