Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bigjohn TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/11/04 09:20 PM
i went to this website to try and order some sacds on line. if you go to this site and look at the 'types' of sacds, it can get confusing. there are: hybrid stereo, hybrid multi-channel, single layer stereo, single layer multi channel, and some offered in mono?? what does all that mean?

which ones should sound the best? which ones should i stay away from? how do i decifer what all that means?

please give any advice or expertise. i am fixing to start purchasing these types of sacds/dvd-a's, and i want to be sure i am buying the right ones. this is all new to me, so be kind.

PS- the same website also sells records, i might just scoop up an armload of vinyl!!

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/11/04 09:23 PM
Google, John.. Google! *G*

http://timefordvd.com/ref/SACDCompatibility.shtml

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/11/04 09:59 PM
John, the site that Bren linked probably explains the different types of SACDs well enough, but you'll be happy to know that your question about what should sound best is essentially impossible to answer accurately. The quality of any type of disc depends on the quality of the original recording, mixing and mastering(in the case of an older recording newly released, remixing and remastering can result in a substantial improvement in sound over the original release). Although SACDs and DVD-As use higher sampling rates and/or bit numbers to achieve theoretically higher resolution, it's doubtful that this is actually of audible benefit; in any case, the recording, mixing and mastering swamp any difference in sampling rates or bits. An interesting explanation of this on another board by an engineer and movie music editor was linked here by me last year(search "soundhound", which he previously used).

One point that's clear is that if you wanted discrete multi-channel sound, obviously you should get that type of disc rather than one of the stereo SACDs.

Posted By: snippy Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/11/04 11:57 PM
Hybrid means it has a CD layer as well as the SACD layer. I am hoping you know what Multi channel, Stereo and Mono are.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 03:31 AM
OK, got it.. i will stick to the hybrid multi-channel.. i think thats what i am going for with buying an sacd in the first place!

thanks

bigjohn
Posted By: SpockTheater Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 03:49 AM
Hey John...I know you're into Bluegrass so you might want to pick up a copy of the Nickel Creek Hybrid SACD. I haven't been able to listen to the 5.1 mix yet since I won't have my surrounds up till this weekend and I need to get the center channel wired, but I think you'd REALLY enjoy these kids (if you haven't already heard them) OH!! and see them live if you get the chance. Hands down the BEST acoustic show I've ever seen. \m/
Posted By: bigjohn Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 04:01 AM
spock- yeah, i saw that 'nickel creek' sacd when i was looking for some others. those are some talented kids. i liked what i have heard from them thus far.

i got to see allison krauss and union station live this past winter, and that was by far, the best acoustic show i have ever seen. i have their live album, and it is now avail in sacd format.

oh the decisions!!

bigjohn
Posted By: ksimple Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 05:46 AM
Yes, I curse you for your link. How many of you have 'wishlists' at amazon.com, etc.? How many do you have in your list? I have 102. Also, I love Netflix, and have 60 movies in my que there. Now I have more. MORE.
Posted By: player8 Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 06:22 AM
Definitely stay away from the Thriller SACD. I actually think it sounds worse (definitely not better) than the CD version. And always Pink Floyd's DSOTM is highly recommended.
Posted By: snippy Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/12/04 09:38 PM
Yes I also have read that the new Thriller CD remaster is superior to the SACD version. Really drives home the point of how important a good mastering job is.
Posted By: JohnK Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/13/04 01:29 AM
John, while you're at that site you should pick up this .
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/13/04 05:46 AM
bigjohn,

I'd definitely pick up Alison Krauss and Union Station Live on SACD, even if you already have it on regular cd. The surround mix is very subtle, but extremely well mixed - it does an awesome job of recreating the space of the hall. A couple times I compared the cd layer to the sacd layer on select tracks, and there's no doubt about it, the SACD is much more involving - just clearly better, imo.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/13/04 01:46 PM
i am definitely looking for some different sacd's to audition on my new system. thanks for all ya'lls input, and i will let ya know what i think as i start to listen to a few.

BTW- my local selection of sacds and dvd-a's is very poor. we have a hastings, sam goody, and one other place out in the mall, but i never go out there. avoid it like the plague. i guess were just a little slow to catch up to the rest of the world.. thats a good thing sometimes.

bigjohn
Posted By: snippy Re: TYPES OF SACD'S - 05/15/04 02:14 AM
For DVD-Audios, try out www.dvdplanet.com, they have good prices.
© Axiom Message Boards