Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bigjohn AUDITIONING A POLK AUDIO 404 SUB - 05/28/04 05:46 PM
just wanted to throw this out there.

i am going over to a buddies house this weekend to listen to his new polk audio 404 sub. he says it is not "living up to expectations", and wanst to see if i can come over and try and trouble shoot it with him. ya know, being that i am the big HT expert and all(yea right).. anyway, i dont even know if his receiver is set up right, cause he didnt have a sub at all before this. so i may need to set the speakers to 'small', and change setting to 5.1, etc.. i will have to wait til i get there and see what he has going on

if anyone has the polk 404, or has heard one. is there anything 'special' i may need to know.. are they boomy or tight? he has it set up behind the couch, behind the listening position, so maybe that has something to do with it. i am taking the RS SPL meter, so hopefully i can find out whatever the prob is.

any info or knowledge that ya'll may have on the polk 404 sub would be appreciated.. thanks.

bigjohn
Posted By: m_underwood Re: AUDITIONING A POLK AUDIO 404 SUB - 05/28/04 05:56 PM
My parents have a PSW 303, and if the 404 is anything like it then its quite boomy.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: AUDITIONING A POLK AUDIO 404 SUB - 05/28/04 06:04 PM
i believe the 303 has an 8in sub w/150watts.. and the 404 has a 10in sub w/200watts. the 404 is rated at 25Hz, so i dont figure it should have any probs getting low.

thanks for the input madman!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: AUDITIONING A POLK AUDIO 404 SUB - 05/28/04 09:58 PM
In a word - Bleccchh! Of course - that is non-technical.
© Axiom Message Boards