Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Another Tivo question - 06/15/04 01:53 PM
The phone connection for the tivo...

I got a phone line run in wall in my living room to the spot behind where my tv will be in preparation for someday having tivo, but I need to know how to terminate it.

Which of these connections do I need to get?

Voice Grade 6-Conductor USOC Connector
Voice Grade 8-Conductor USOC Connector
Category 3 QuickPort Snap-In Connector

The electrician I got has been most excellent. I'll take pictures of the very slick in-wall setup I've got. Behind the audio rack I'll have in-wall jacks for both surround speakers, cable tv, phone, and even an RCA jack for the sub that'll be in the rear of the room.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Another Tivo question - 06/15/04 03:20 PM
Out of the three, I'd choose the 6 conductor, but what you're looking for is an RJ11 four conductor jack. The second two are RJ45 (usually used for ethernet). I'm not certain what 6 conductor ports get used for but it would work for you if you just use 4 of the conductors (or 2, if your phone line is cheap).
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Another Tivo question - 06/16/04 12:37 AM
Honestly, it doesn't matter. If your contractor uses CAT5 cable, which is used for network cables like ethernet, it uses 4 pairs of wire. You can use a regular phone jack to terminate it so it should be fine. You'd only need to use a 6 or 8 conductor if you actually used the cable as a network connection. In my house, I ran 2 CAT 5 cables, 1 for phone use and the other for network use. I have one terminated as a phone and the other as an 8 conductor.
© Axiom Message Boards