Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CosmicVoyager OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/10/04 06:01 PM
I have a strange question. I'm a network administrator myself and would like some feedback.

My question is this: Were can the log files be found or located for net send? Friday we had a joker send out a message to the entire domain that said "eat sh*t f**kers". The PC name was displayed but can't be found. The DHCP logs show the IP and Host name. Active Directory does not have a record of this PC. I'm chasing my tail, because HR wants someone’s head. I’m starting to believe that it’s a lost cause. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Posted By: INANE Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/11/04 05:52 AM
...only a guess but I'm thinkin it wouldn't be logged unless you have auditing enabled

?

Posted By: James_T Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/11/04 06:09 AM
Do you keep logs of authentication? Where I work we have logs where I can do a search for computer names with the associated user ID. It shows me that a specific ID authenticated to the network via a specific computer (or exchange or whatever). You might be able to find it that way. However, if it was a personal PC (a laptop) just using your network it probably would not show up.
Also, if you don't have this configured it won't be tracked...

jr
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/12/04 08:00 PM
Is there any way you can track down the MAC address of the offending computer? If you can get the MAC, the you may be able to track it to a specific network jack in your building.

If you use Cisco switches, and the offending computer is still on the network, then you can track it down to a specific port with the show mac-address-table address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx command. You'd have to run this command on every switch until you found a match.
Posted By: INANE Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/13/04 03:34 AM
MACs can be spoofed thou

Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/13/04 03:47 AM
I doubt that anyone dumb enough to do a broadcast insult over a network is smart enough to spoof a MAC.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/13/04 02:51 PM
do net send messages get saved in the event log?

no wait, i don't think they do... or maybe they do...

damn, i'm out of practice!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT- Attention Network Admin - 07/13/04 09:47 PM
True, MACs can be spoofed, but you could still trace the spoofed address to a switch port.
© Axiom Message Boards