Axiom Home Page
Posted By: littleb OT: optical mouse - 07/27/04 12:22 AM
I bought my first optical mouse. K-O-O-L
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: OT: optical mouse - 07/27/04 12:40 AM
Yep - optical mice rock. I've had one for quite a while now. I always hated having to clean the gunk off the rollers and the ball.
Posted By: Ajax Re: OT: optical mouse - 07/27/04 01:11 AM
Me too, Adam. It makes a huge difference. I recently got my first wireless optical. I have a left handed brother, and it's so convenient to just move the mouse over to the left side of the keyboard.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: optical mouse - 07/27/04 02:27 AM
Yup. I love my MX700. Optical mice rock. Although they still get a little gunk on the pads that you need to clean off every once in awhile.
Posted By: INANE Re: OT: optical mouse - 07/27/04 03:46 AM
MX700 is what I have myself, amazing mouse. It's wireless and optical, which used to be a big no no in gamming, but this mouse not only overcame the negatives, its downright one of teh best gamming mice you can get!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/02/04 06:21 AM
Time to junk thos MX700s, folks. Try the Logitech MX1000 on for size. It's got a friggin' laser beam!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/02/04 06:46 AM
Yeah. Me want. Hey, I need a new wireless mouse for the Mac...
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/02/04 07:00 AM
for $140, I expect it to move in response to my telepathic commands.

(aka $140 for a mouse is waaaay too much)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/02/04 02:09 PM
Jeez! I thought I saw it for $80. Oh well, just wait for it to show up in my Amazon gold box, I guess...
Posted By: alan Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 01:46 PM
Hi,

I left my optical mouse up at the Axiom plant last trip up--Amie found it--so I'm using this annoying touch pad thing on my laptop. Have you noticed optical mice don't work on some surfaces--polished desks, etc.? Mine becomes erratic on a varnished surface.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 03:03 PM
Ayup. Some are better than others, though. Apple's are pretty bad, but Logitech's are fairly reasonable. This laser mouse purports to solve this problem, but we'll see.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 03:13 PM
I've got two Logitechs - an older cordless ball-type mouse at work and a cordless optical mouse at home, and both are wonderful. The one at work still requires removing the ball and cleaning the gunk from time to time, but it's still head and shoulders above any regular mouse I've ever used. It's almost four years old and I've never had any trouble with it. The optical Logitech at home is even better. Both are amazingly comfortable and well built.

The one feature I CANNOT live without is a thumb button. I've assigned the thumb button on both mice to act as the CTRL key (CMD for you Mac folks), and this speeds up shortcuts and combined keystrokes by a factor of 10. If you've never tried it, give it a shot. You'll never look back.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 03:18 PM
I dunno... The reason I use command/control keys is so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard.

I've been using Kensington mice for a few years, and recently upgraded to a Logitech MX700, which is (was, now?) the god of all mice. I then got a v3 Microsoft Intellimouse (which sort of fell in my lap), which is nice, but not nearly as nice as the MX700. Can't wait to see the MX1000.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 03:24 PM
I guess some of it probably boils down to what type of work you're doing. I do a lot of hand coding, but there are also plenty of CTRL-this, CTRL-that combinations. Plus, I've got all the grace and coordination of a rhino. My fingers keep getting in the way of my other fingers...

I agree about the Microsoft mice. They're okay, but once I tried Logitech I knew I was home.
Posted By: James_T Re: OT: optical mouse - 09/03/04 05:43 PM
I made the switch from MS to Logitech mice myself. I liked the MS mice, but as a gamer the Logitech MX900 (yes I spent that much on a mouse) was just way too much better to pass up (plus I got bluetooth in the process. The mouse response is fantastic.
Soooo. The MX1000 looks cool as hell.

jr
© Axiom Message Boards