Axiom Home Page
Posted By: curtis Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 05:21 PM
Because I am so envious of it, I thought I would show off my Parents' custom entertainment center. (Jack has already seen it)

You can see the center channel sitting by itself in the left corner of the room, a STF-2 for the time being in the right corner. The 27" TV will be replaced by either a 50" or 60" DLP/LCD/LCoS type unit. The antenna on top looks tacky, but that is for a wireless microphone system...karaoke. That is my old HK525 in the entertainment center. Not finished yet, but it is getting there...I have fun playing music when I am at the house.

Posted By: bray Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 05:24 PM
SUPER COOL!!!
How much did that set them back?
That would look great in house.

Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 05:27 PM
My Father worked with a company in downtown LA on the design....which is actually a modification of something they had on display. Anyways...delivered, it was $2800.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 06:02 PM
Curtis has infected his own parents with the quality audio/video bug. It's a cruel thing for a loving son to do. Can upgrade-itis be far behind?
Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 06:44 PM
hehehe...actually, my Dad is the one that infected me in the 70's....and then with three active boys, he did not have time anymore.

They had been thinking about re-doing the livingroom for a long time, and finally my Mom said...."just do it". So they got rid of the old stereo equipment. Dad wanted speakers like mine, my HK525 was fine for them after I upgraded, and the STF-2 I got used(was going to use it in future for a small setup). If I get a new maple VTF-3MK2, I will give them my old VTF-3.

They have been looking at TVs for the past 5 months. That purchase will give a boost to my upgradeitis.

My Mom says "We are spending your's and your brothers' inheritance." I told them to go right ahead...they deserve it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/25/04 07:11 PM
In reply to:

My Mom says "We are spending your's and your brothers' inheritance." I told them to go right ahead...they deserve it.

Bravo! As sole caregiver for my 92 year old mother (happy birthday, Mom), IMHO, you have things in their proper perspective.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 01:21 PM
Jack:

Is today your mom's birthday? If it is Happy Birthday to your mom bud!

92 huh, wow that's awesome. Hell I'll be lucky if I see 50.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: Ajax Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 03:12 PM
It was yesteday, the 25th, but thank you just the same. Yes, both she, and I, are awed that she lived this long.

The things she has seen in her life. WW I, radio, the proliferation of the automobile and the rise of commercial flight, the depression, WW II, television, man on the moon, computers. Holy Cats! What a ride!

Thanks again, Kurt.

Posted By: BigWill Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 04:44 PM
That maple sure is pretty. Is the thing solid maple?

Looks like MA Silver 8s for fronts, eh?

I hope they get a black TV.
Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 04:53 PM
birdseye maple veneer.

Ascend Acoustic CMT-340m's on their customs stands.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 05:04 PM
That's dang beautiful!

Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 09:02 PM
You know spiff, now that you own a home, I think it is time you do something like that.....a custom entertainment center to hold a new TV.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 09:23 PM
I already spent a pile of cash on a new cabinet to hold my gear. I've already done the measurements, and a nice 62" DLP set will fit very nicely on top of it.

Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 09:24 PM
is it too early for a home equity loan?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 09:30 PM
LOL...

We're gone totally over budget, have run out of money, and still haven't finished fixing the things we wanted to.

The latest dilema is that we bought the hardwood needed to have the stairs redone in hardwood (they're carpeted now). We purchased the materials, and were given an estimate of approx. $500-600 to have it installed. I've called numerous people to have the work done, and the lowest bid so far is about $800. All the others have been over $1000. We simply don't have that extra cash right now! Grrrrrrrr...

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 10:23 PM
curtis - what a great looking unit. (of course it would look better surrounded by Axioms ). It looks so.... California-y.

Jack - in you list of things your mother has seen (and endured), you forgot to add 50+ plus years of exposure to yourself!!! . Give mom a big 92 birthday kiss for me. That is an impressive accomplishment. It's too bad the body and the mind often don't keep up with us as we age. With the accumulated wisdom of the years, it would be a daunting combination. Let's hope for many more.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/26/04 10:42 PM
Thanks Ray, and Amen. The 50+ years of exposure to me is probably what caused her dementia. Mom says "tell him thank you." She's a doll!
Posted By: snippy Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/27/04 03:01 PM
Why didn't he get Axioms in a custom finish to match the entertainment center? I hear Ascends sound great, but their looks leave a lot to be desired. And with that entertainment center, one would think they would want a good looking speaker.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/27/04 03:30 PM
The only truly ugly Ascend speaker is the 170. Their 340's are actually a pretty decent looking speaker.

I believe they've started to offer some custom finishes as well.

Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/27/04 11:27 PM
In reply to:

Why didn't he get Axioms in a custom finish to match the entertainment center? I hear Ascends sound great, but their looks leave a lot to be desired. And with that entertainment center, one would think they would want a good looking speaker.

I don't know snippy....maybe because they sound better? They will be using 170's as surrounds.

Actually...my Parents are retired and watch their money. My Mother did not complain of the looks, and they both love the sound. It is fun to see my Dad get the enjoyment he does from listening to his music(he burns CDs with the best of them)...it is also fun when my Mom tells me about him enjoying the music as well.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 12:40 AM
I would love to hear Ascends sometime. They must be pretty good for so many folks to like them.

Some M60s in the high gloss Maple finish really would have looked nice though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 12:58 AM
In reply to:

They must be pretty good for so many folks to like them.

Are they a sponsor of audioreview.com, though?
Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 01:43 AM
In reply to:

Are they a sponsor of audioreview.com, though?

I see they are a "partner store", just like Axiom and many others. I have never seen an ad(banner or pop-up) for them.

Will......if you are ever in Beach Cities area....you know you are welcome to stop by for a listen.

IMO....a lot of folks try to match furniture colors/finishes, in a lot of cases, if it is not an exact match, it may not look as good as something with more contrast.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 02:57 AM
Dude! I'm from Redondo! My parents still live there. Maybe I'll drop by sometime.
Posted By: curtis Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 03:07 AM
just let me know when!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 03:11 AM
[Ken] I'm walking up to your front door right now! [/Ken]
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 04:01 AM
I'm in your home state lub dub. lub dub. I'm in your town Lub Dub. Lub Dub. I'M OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR! LUB DUB! LUB DUB!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 06:12 AM
Chicken Heart?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 06:21 AM
Bingo!

I've always loved that one...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/28/04 08:32 PM
Bill Cosby is a genius story teller. GENIUS.

Posted By: dmn23 Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/29/04 12:57 AM
You say "Redondo Beach" and I immediately think Patti Smith, Horses. "Tonsils" and "The Playground" were always two of my favorite Cosby sketches.
Posted By: spiffnme Maple Hsu - 08/30/04 07:33 PM
Since Curtis mentioned it...I went looking for a picture.

Maple Hsu
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Maple Hsu - 08/30/04 08:22 PM
Daddy like that Hsu...
Posted By: curtis Re: Maple Hsu - 08/30/04 08:39 PM
Yeah!

It would match my room well....especially since I use my sub as a pseudo end table. The added bonus for me is it is down firing. My older VTF-3 is front firing, and I worry about my 7 yr old's and 5 yr. olds knees going through the grill and into the driver.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Maple Hsu - 08/30/04 09:33 PM
That would look sweeeeeeeeet in your place Curtis. (Much like that monster SVS did!)

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 04:30 PM
In reply to:

"Tonsils" and "The Playground" were always two of my favorite Cosby sketches

"BUCK, BUCK" and the whole "NOAH'S ARK" are great also.

oh, and the one about racing the soapbox cars down suicide hill..

bigjohn
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 07:50 PM
"Buck, Buck"...that was the Revenge album, right? I've killed far too many brain cells. Was that the one with Fat Albert and a game kind of like Capture the Flag?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 08:09 PM
YES.. 'buck, buck' and '9th st bridge' are both on the 'revenge' album. probably two of my favorite stories from cosby. i got all of my dad's hand-me-down vinyl, so i have almost the whole cosby collection. they are still VERY funny, everytime i listen to them.. in fact, sometimes when we have parties, i play an album, and half the people are laughing their a$$ off, and the other half are trying to figure out who the comic is!! when i tell them its cosby, the general reaction is, "WOW, cosby did stand-up?" i just wanna slap 'em!!

bigjohn
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 08:18 PM
The are hilarious. I can remember vividly listening to all of those old records growing up, and they were already 10 years old or more by the time I first heard them. I think I'm going to see if I can find some CD copies on the way home today.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 08:48 PM
cool.. let me know if you find any.. i am sure they will have the common ones like 'himself' and 'the best of' but you might have to special order the more 'rare' titles.. i think 'revenge', 'wonderfulness', 'to russell, my brother', and 'i started out as a child' are the ones to have for sure.. the original 'best of bill cosby' is just that, the best of.. its samples from his first 4-5 albums, and is definitely funny.. but stay away from the new '20th century master: millenium collection'.. it is supposed to be a greatest hits, but they chose the least funny skits to put on this cd.. not a good collection in my opinion.

bigjohn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom entertainment center - 08/31/04 09:47 PM
I've got a set of 3, but I don't remember which ones they are. I'm pretty sure one is To Russell...
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Custom entertainment center - 09/01/04 03:13 AM
Hoo boy... I kind of had a "guilty pleasures" moment at Tower this afternoon. Lost focus and bought The Psychedelic Furs' Greatest Hits. And then I found out that ten bucks gets me in to see Joan Jett tomorrow night. Oops.

The good news, though, is that Tower seems to have everything Cosby ever put out. I was genuinely impressed. They had everything you mentioned, plus "Why Is There Air?" I'd forgotten about that one. The later stuff like "Himself" is funny, but I don't think it holds a candle to the 60s records. I actually saw him do stand up in Albuquerque around '83 or '84, and it was a terrific show, but when I think of Cosby I always hear him yelling "ICE CREAM! WE'RE GONNA EAT ICE CREAM!!!"

As a side note, I'm actually kind of glad I didn't pay full price at Tower. I just checked Amazon and most (if not all) of those records are available for less than $10.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Custom entertainment center - 09/01/04 01:54 PM
In reply to:

"ICE CREAM! WE'RE GONNA EAT ICE CREAM!!!"

yes, the tonsil bit cant be beat. the funniest part is just how true that story is. i was promised TONS of ice cream, never got it.

that is VERY surprising that tower had all his old stuff. thats good to know. hope you enjoy joan jett.. chicks with guitars are sexy!!

bigjohn
© Axiom Message Boards