Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 06:13 PM
A friend of mine recently bought a big 57" Sony tv. Nice. But he's been running a Pioneer HTIB setup for his sound. very

I managed to get him to try something else. I couldn't get him to go with Axioms, as they were too big for what he needed/wanted in his room, and still a bit more money than he wanted to spend.

So, I got him to give the Hsu Ventriloquist system a try with their STF-1 subwoofer. While the system doesn't hold up to what perhaps he could have had with a pair of M2i's, VP100, and QS4's, it's not that bad either. For $500 delivered, it's a hell of a bargain. The STF-1 sounds just like all Hsu subs, clean and tight. Perfect for a small room. A nice first step into home theatre. So...if you know anyone who's afraid to put their toe into HT, that little Hsu system may not be a bad first step. You know of course they'll eventually want to upgrade...then you can hit them with the full Axiom package. <----- evil grin.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 06:18 PM
craig- i am glad to see you gave this system your semi seal of approval.. i think my brother-in-law wants me to build him an HT system. he is on a $1000 budget, and thats for speakers, receiver, cd/dvd, and cables.. so i was trying to figure my options. i had some interest in the ventriloquist set-up, but have really only heard one review on it. now i got two. thanks..

bigjohn

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 06:26 PM
For a first foray into HT, it's a good deal. As you probably know, I prefer to get people to buy only what they can afford and build a system piece by piece. But, if HT isn't your bag, and you just want a decent sounding system for a small amount of money, you certainly could do worse than that little Hsu system. As a bonus, it's got huge SAF due to the little bitty speakers.

It put a great big smile on my friends face. He's already told me that if he ever sells that condo, and moves into a "proper" house, I'll be hooking him up with a "real" system. He's already witnessed what a small upgrade can do. Being in a large condo complex, a major kick butt system would really be a waste. He'd have his neighbors pounding on his door all the time.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 06:35 PM
spiff,
Perhaps this was the evil smile you were looking for?

My father is also considering a HT setup of some sort, but cannot afford much and probably wants to keep it small. I'm hoping to get him to go the route of some M2s, QS4s and a VP100 but i may also look around for some used VP50, and possibly M1s or MZeros.
Sub is yet unknown but likely the EP175.
I will do some further reading into the Hsu system.
Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 10:04 PM
I've recommended the Hsu system to a few on these boards before.I have had it for a year now and for the size and price it is a good sounding system.I guess no one believed me,now thats it has Spiffs approval you boys are willing to at least research it.Oh well at least now you know what I said about it is true.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 11:18 PM
In reply to:

Oh well at least now you know what I said about it is true

wid- i think you were the person that had told me about it before.. i did look into it actually, thats why i had said craigs was the "second" good thing i had heard about the set-up.

i was listening to ya man!! its just good to have multiple back up.. plus, it aint my money that i am spending, so i am a little nervous about doing anything. if the brother-in-law dont like it, i will have to hear him, and my sister whine about it every holiday for the next five years..

bigjohn
Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 11:24 PM
I hear ya bigjohn I really don't like to recommend anything to relatives as it seems to always be a pain in the a$$.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 11:43 PM
In reply to:

I guess no one believed me,now thats it has Spiffs approval you boys are willing to at least research it.

Hey, I gotta get something for 2666 posts. LOL

Posted By: BigWill Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/27/04 11:57 PM
I took your recommendation seriously, wid, but my parents insist they don't want surround sound. I may buy them something anyways.
Posted By: player8 Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:14 AM
How does music sound through the ventriloquist? I think you'd be better off with better mains like the Athena ASB-1's or M2's, but I don't know how good the Hsu satellites sound.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:20 AM
I didn't get a chance to do all that much listening. I just know it was far better than his HTIB. With the little listening I did, I'd say movies sounded better than music, but again, I didn't have time that night to listen much. I must say that I wasn't thrilled with his receiver. I'd like to talk him into a better receiver as well. He is currently using a Sony STR-DE475. I have a similar unit in my bedroom and hate it.

Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:34 AM
I don't listen to music to much with the Hsu system as I have M80's for my stereo set up,but what music I have listened through it sounds pretty good.We are talking a $500 system here including a sub,of course there is better but for the money and size it does sound really good.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:35 AM
I must have missed that post wid.
I also was not considering any smallish HT setup a year ago. I never thought my father would be interested in such a thing.
I'm hearing you now though!!
Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:51 AM
Hey Chess,

The only reason I went with such a small system in the first place was I didn't have much room for it.My living room is where my stereo is and I wanted to find a small system to be put in the same room.The Hsu system was a gift to the wife as she insisted on having a HT system for her movies.Well anyone who is married knows the boss always gets what she wants .So now she has her system and I have mine.

Plus I was familar with Hsu quality as I also have 2 VTF-2's.I figured the VT-12's couldn't be all that bad............and it they aren't.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 12:58 AM
That is good to know wid since it would be alot cheaper than even the smallest Axiom setup, unless i went searching for used items and perhaps even some of the discontinued models.
Posted By: curtis Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/28/04 06:01 AM
Hey...the Ventriloquist and STF-1 earned my seal of approval a while ago. For $500...I think it is agreat system.

I know the folks at Hsu are extremely proud of the STF-1. They say the driver and its sound came out perfect.
Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/29/04 12:38 AM
Here are some reviews of the Hsu system.

Posted By: Wid Re: Hsu Ventriloquist system - 09/29/04 01:19 AM
Here is one more.
© Axiom Message Boards