Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NeverHappy MP3 SERVER - 09/28/04 04:57 PM
I have a fair bit of decent quality MP3's on my home computer and I also run a server. If any of you want to log on and grab some, I will share. Only thing I ask is that you share back!

PM me for a username and password and I will get you fixed up. Please don't forget to share!!!!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: MP3 SERVER - 09/28/04 04:59 PM
No offense, but posting this in a public forum might not be the best idea, unless we want the recording industry assholes of america all over our asses.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: MP3 SERVER - 09/28/04 05:01 PM
True enough. Never gave it much thought. I was just trying to throw it out there for anyone in the whole spirit of sharing! If Axiom wants to delete this, no problem at all.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MP3 SERVER - 09/28/04 11:29 PM
I'm telling! AMIE!!!!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: MP3 SERVER - 09/29/04 12:11 AM

Posted By: INANE Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 03:26 AM
Food for thought...

Is it wrong or illegal to let a friend barrow a DVD or CD you own? Afterall, they didn't buy it.

Furthermore, is it then wrong to have someone over to watch a movie they didn't buy or some music they don't own?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 03:33 AM
Hey, I ain't saying it should or shouldn't be illegal or is or is not illegal. I'm just saying that it's dangerous to your financial security these days to be offering such things.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 04:51 AM
Inane,
The answer to all your questions is an obvious no. Movie rental stores exist legally, and they even make a profit from lending out movies.

A more interesting question would be: could you be held liable for allowing a friend to borrow a hard drive containing all your own legally ripped MP3s, knowing full well that they could easily copy the entire contents before returning it into your possession? Could you be held liable for letting him/her borrow all your original media knowing the same?

The Induce Act is some pretty scary proposed legislation.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 04:53 AM
.............and truth be told, most if not all the MP3's I have on my computer, I own the actual discs!
Posted By: bray Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 12:26 PM
I think I'll rent some from ya.
Posted By: Zarak Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/01/04 12:52 PM
They could just as easily copy the CD you lend them as the MP3, so no. It isn't/shouldn't be illegal to lend it, the person doing to copying is the one breaking the law.

Now if you make a copy for your friend and give it to them, that's a different story.
Posted By: Craig_P Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/03/04 12:31 AM
To throw a little bit of extra info into this thread, under Canadian copyright laws, it is 100% legal to download mp3s, or to have them on your computer. In Canada, all blank media has a tax on it which is designed to compensate artists for their products that are copied. You are allowed to have copies of music, even if you don't own the original, as long as it is for personal use only. This law originally was designed with tapes in mind, but was recently ruled that it applied to mp3's as well.
So in Canada, downloading mp3s is totally legal, but uploading is not, as it breaks the personal use rule.
Posted By: INANE Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/03/04 03:03 AM
In reply to:

The answer to all your questions is an obvious no. Movie rental stores exist legally, and they even make a profit from lending out movies.

If I'm not mistaken... they buy bulk licenses from the movie industry don't they? It's not like they buy one copy of X-men and copy it, then lend it out. There are special contracts involved here.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: MP3 SERVER - 10/03/04 03:21 AM
I believe that is correct. Movies often (or used to) get released for the rental market before they were available retail.
© Axiom Message Boards