Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bigjohn MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 08:07 PM
i dont know if anyone else saw this, but they are renaming candlestick park in san francisco.

apparently, to follow the lead of every other money hungry professional team, the rights to name the park was won by the monster cable company, which home headquarters is in the bay area.

candlestick park will now be known and referred to as 'Monster Park', and new signs should be installed as soon as this week. i didnt hear what they paid, but i am sure it is between 5-10 million for a mulit-year sponsership. details pending....

once again, the fleecing of audiophiles is taken to the next level. can you say, "bose marketing machine"?

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 08:56 PM
I'm with you on this one. I'm not even a big sports fan, but it bugs the crap out of me to hear all the stadiums and parks across the country being named for large companies. It just sucks.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 08:58 PM
In reply to:

Voice of America:

Candlestick Park, home of the San Francisco 49ers National Football League team and former home of the San Francisco Giants baseball team, has been renamed "Monster Park." The name comes from its new sponsor, Monster Cable Products, a San Francisco-area company that sells premium priced audio cables. Big time musical acts like the Rolling Stones, U2 and Aerosmith rely on the company's products for their tours.
The 49ers and the city will split about $6 million that the company paid for the naming rights under a four-year agreement.

A spokesman for the 49ers said that San Francisco prides itself on being different and that Monster Park is an only-in-San Francisco name. The 44-year-old stadium was originally named Candlestick Park for the land it sits on.

Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 10:24 PM
I've seen a lot of concerts there. This really pisses me off to no end.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 10:36 PM
Concerts? They haven't had day on the green in years...
Posted By: James_T Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 10:45 PM
Yeah, it kinda bites. But the name Candlestick will probably "stick" for a long time and monster only paid for 4 years.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/29/04 10:53 PM
I grew up in the Bay area and I'm obviously older than you . I've seen Santana and Journey to name a few. The name should not be changed for sentimental reasons...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 01:34 AM
I don't care what it's officially called. I always call it Candlestick.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 02:02 AM
I'm a little grumpy about the whole name change. I live in Colorado now I would be just as pissed off if they renamed Red Rocks Amphitheater to Infinity or Polk park for example.
Posted By: BigWill Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 03:02 AM
Like pmb said, just call it what it has always been called. We still call Anaheim stadium the "Big A". It's had a few name changes, but nobody uses them except the announcers.
Posted By: player8 Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 03:31 AM
What about Price Club? I still after all these years can't call that place Costco. I have several friends that work there and they give me crap for it but I still call it Price Club. Anyone else?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 05:23 AM
Nope. Costco. Stores don't normally get to enter that special place in my heart.
Posted By: ringmir Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 12:40 PM
In reply to:

I'm a little grumpy about the whole name change. I live in Colorado now I would be just as pissed off if they renamed Red Rocks Amphitheater to Infinity or Polk park for example.

Yes but how would you feel if they named it the "Bose Amphitheater"?
Posted By: rcvecc Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 12:56 PM
i still call it price club too
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 02:07 PM
You have a good point. I think I need to lighten up on the coffee....
Posted By: romeo Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 02:57 PM
Does this means we need to stay away from buying Monster Cable or we're already paying too much for the interconnect? No wonder I got a six feet video monster cable for CAD$40.00 17 year ago. Yes, 17 years ago in Hong Kong.
Posted By: ghostwheel Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 03:06 PM
It will always be Candlestick Park. It was named 3COM Park from 1996-2002. Anyone remember that?
Posted By: Zarak Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 04:26 PM
I didn't realize it was back to being Candlestick again. I thought I hadn't heard that name for a while. I've given up on worrying about the names. Our hockey/basketball arena here has gone from CoreStates Center to First Union Center to Wachovia Center in a matter of 7 years or so.

Now when they start buying ad space on players uniforms, that's a whole nother story.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 05:07 PM
In reply to:

ad space on players uniforms

YES!!!

see the yankee pinstrips with a big ad for "uncle teds trash-away srvc"..

now that would be funny.

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 06:52 PM
You mean like a typical English football jersey?

Posted By: BrenR Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 08:01 PM
Spiff:

T-Mobile logo or no logo, I'd give my left nut to wear the FCB red and white for real:

Bren R.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 08:36 PM
I just find it odd that no one seems to have an issue that soccer jersey's are 95% adverts, and 5% team logo.

Posted By: BrenR Re: MONSTER PARK - 09/30/04 10:08 PM
There's a lot less other advertising in the sport, though... except for some "fringe" markets (US, Canada)... there are NO commercial breaks during play - we do the "squeeze" commercials... move the live action into the top corner and run a small commercial in the opposite corner. There are signage boards on the touchline, but none on the field itself (which are dangerous as hell - I know from having been on our football field here, I wasn't wearing cleats but it's really hard to plant on one!)

Besides, it messes up the Americans...
"Hey Bill, I heard you watched a soccer game last night"
'yeah... the Opels versus the Reeboks'

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: MONSTER PARK - 10/01/04 08:23 AM
Here's the press release. It's clear why Virgin USA didn't have a shot, but I wonder what factors knocked out the others?
© Axiom Message Boards