Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dmw Can Cabinets Be Purchased Without Drivers? - 10/13/04 05:33 PM
I recently purchased a pair of M80's. While I am pleased with the sound of the speakers, I am not so impressed with the cabinets.
To me, they look like what they are; vinyl over mdf.
Are any of the upgrade options real wood laminates?
Would I be able to purchase a set for my M80's?

Thanks
Dan
Posted By: Ajax Re: Can Cabinets Be Purchased Without Drivers? - 10/13/04 05:47 PM
They do offer custom finishes, but they're still vinyl, I believe.
Yes, all vinyl. Though, IMHO, it's some of the best wood-grain vinyl I've seen. Granted it's not up to everyone's standards and tastes.

If I were you, I'd check out the custom finishes and contact Axiom to ask them to send you a few samples. If you decide to go with one of them, then your best bet will be to trade in your current speakers for the custom finished ones.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Can Cabinets Be Purchased Without Drivers? - 10/13/04 07:09 PM
Or take the cabinets in to a woodworker and have them veneer them with wood veneers. The vinyl peels off with a heat gun, then they can lay on a wood veneer with some contact cement, zip it off with a laminate cutter on a router, you reinstall your drivers and voila... best of both worlds.

Bren R.
Bren, sounds like a viable option-has anybody tried it. Any concerns with change in intonation with added veneer?
My brother's business works with a custom cabinet shop here who does some beautiful veneer work. While I think the vinyl on the Axioms is as good as vinyl gets-the veneer idea has me thinking...
© Axiom Message Boards