Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mace An interesting read, - 10/26/04 04:47 PM
Hello all,
ran across this at another forum and found it to be quite interesting. Explains alot about my CD collection.

[url=link] http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C [/url]
Posted By: bigjohn Re: An interesting read, - 10/26/04 04:59 PM
lets see if we can link it here

there we go...

bigjohn
Posted By: mace Re: An interesting read, - 10/26/04 05:02 PM
Thanks alot BigJohn.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: An interesting read, - 10/26/04 05:06 PM
instead of putting [url=link ]

you need to put [url=the actual http ] here[/url ]

and that should do it.

good article also.. i havent heard the new cd, but got to see them in concert back in june.. great show!!

bigjohn
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: An interesting read, - 10/26/04 05:26 PM
Good article, and accurate from what I've seen.

When I bring tracks off of CD into my audio editor, they all look "normalised to hell". They're all so compressed that there are no dymamics left. I wasn't seeing this just 5-10 years ago!

It's a shame, too, because that dynamic range is a large part of what makes music sound "real" or "live". It's what I mostly hope gets remastered when I buy high-rez disc, especially with the lower noise floor available to the engineer.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: An interesting read, - 10/26/04 11:07 PM
I think the new Sting CD suffers the same problem. It's hands down the loudest disc in the changer, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the previous 2, which I tend to use as reference discs (or did before I got Buena Vista Social Club). I'd forgotten about this article...
Posted By: JohnK Re: An interesting read, - 10/27/04 02:52 AM
Very good article, and accurate as it relates to many of the pop recordings(fortunately classical material seldom or never has that problem). Of course, his comment about a 3dB increase being perceived as "twice as loud" isn't accurate, but essentially he's right on target.
© Axiom Message Boards