Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 OT- New PC - 11/26/04 08:55 PM
Hi:

I am getting a new pc in the next couple of days and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on transferring info/software from my old pc to the new one. I was thinking of using the network cards to connect but do I need a router to do this?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Much thanks!

Posted By: Zarak Re: OT- New PC - 11/26/04 09:08 PM
Nope, no network card needed. Both computers can be hooked together directly through network cards if you are using a cross over cable.

Another option, if you don't mind opening the computer, is take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it into the new one and copy file over that way. Then there is no network connection to slow things down.

If it is a small amount of data, you could also burn what you want to CD (if you have a burner in the old machine).
Posted By: curtis Re: OT- New PC - 11/26/04 11:57 PM
Data is no problem from PC to PC....just like Zarak has said.

But software/programs is another issue. There are programs available that help you facilitate and automate moving programs from one machine to another, but from a reliability standpoint, it is better to just reinstall them on the new machine.
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT- New PC - 11/27/04 04:07 AM
Just realized I meant no router needed in my post above. Sorry about that if it lead to confusion.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: OT- New PC - 11/27/04 09:20 PM
Well, I really have nothing to add to this, but I'm pretty pleased with myself. Took advantage of a Black Friday special at CompUSA yesterday. They had the 19" Sony SDM-HS94P flat panel monitor yesterday for $699, less $100 instant savings, less $100 Sony rebate. Could not pass it up. It replaces a 15" flat panel (selling for $150), so my net cost for this bad boy is $349. What a nice piece of equipment!!! I thought about waiting and having my wife give it to me for Christmas, but since I am selling the 15", that plan wouldn't work. Too bad.

Posted By: curtis Re: OT- New PC - 11/27/04 11:44 PM
want a deal on a PC? They keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Look at the following samples from Dell:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
© Axiom Message Boards