Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bridgman Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 05:03 AM
I upgraded both of my PCs from Win98 to XP in the last year, over-writing EasyCD-Creator in the process. Didn't worry because XP handles all this multimedia stuff, right ?

Apparently not. Tried burning some CD copies so I could load the changer up with copies (M60s) and keep the originals downstairs to play on the HT (M2, VP100, etc...) and was surprised to find that Windows Media Player only seems to be able to burn in Windows Audio formats, not the PCM off a CD.

I have the install disk for EZ-CD creator somewhere, should be able to dig it up -- but am I missing something ? Do you really need 3rd party SW to dupe a CD on XP today ?

If I can't find CD Creator I guess I'll pick up Nero or something -- wondering what everyone else does...

Thanks,
JB
Posted By: MykeW Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 05:18 AM
Hi Bridgman, I ran into the same problem and as far as I can tell WMP wont copy PCM off a CD as you describe. I haven't really tried to find a solution as I have 3rd party software that I prefer anyways, but YES it does seem this way...

Cheers, Jag
Posted By: real80sman Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 02:25 PM
John, two computers ago I couldn't use Easy-CD Creator because I got buffer underuns all over the place. Switching to this, solved the problem. It is VERY stable. Plus, it supports CDDB and CDTEXT, which is a huge bonus for me as the Alpine I have in the car supports CDTEXT as well. Check out the "Features" on the site for a complete list it's capabilities.

Shawn
Posted By: expatbrit Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 04:07 PM
I would download Apple Itunes. It is free, is a great way to organise and play your MP3's, and allows for ripping and burning to/from CD's all in one package.
Posted By: curtis Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 04:46 PM
I don't think iTunes is able to copy CD to CD though. Some conversion has to take place in between.
Posted By: expatbrit Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/27/04 05:14 PM
True
Posted By: bridgman Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/28/04 12:01 AM
Thanks, everyone !

I checked out the Feurio software -- looks pretty good, but they don't recommend using my particular CD burner. Ended up downloading a simple package called BlindWrite which seems to be working just fine for me.

Thanks again, I could have wasted a lot of time messing with XP and built in utilities.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Burning CDs for HT/stereo/car systems - 11/30/04 02:45 AM
You could always rip the cd first and then burn it. Cdex is my favorite for ripping. On my computer it only takes about 2 mins to rip an entire cd at 224 kbps but your might be slower. My old computer took about 10-15 mins per cd.
© Axiom Message Boards