Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 04:38 PM
GREAT movie on DVD! Amazing picture and sound. Terrific use of surrounds, and the colors...oh the colors!

Not a bad action flick as well.

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 04:39 PM
Thrilled to hear it! I wasn't sure, because I found the "Hero" DVD suffered from a lot of visual noise in the high action scenes (though the audio was exquisite). I may have to pick this up now.
Posted By: curtis Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 06:01 PM
It is out on DVD? Netflix does not have a release date for it.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 06:10 PM
Hmm, didn't know the Hero DVD was out. I'm waiting for that to come to Pay Per View HD so I can Tivo it.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 07:47 PM
Academy Screener. Living in LA does have benefits above and beyond great weather.

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 08:09 PM
Academy Screener. Living in LA does have benefits above and beyond great weather.

Hmph. So the commercially released DVD may not be as high quality (been known to happen).
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 08:14 PM
oldskool,

are movies on pay per view HD braodcasted using 720p?
Posted By: curtis Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 09:08 PM
Ahhh...OK...that explains it.
Posted By: curtis Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 09:12 PM
In reply to:

Hmph. So the commercially released DVD may not be as high quality (been known to happen).

Maybe so, but I saw "A Song for Bobby Long" on an Academy Screener DVD......and it had "copyright" warnings every once in a while. A great movie by the way.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 09:30 PM
ah gosh i saw the preview and automatically said. no.

I saw croutching tiger hidden dragon and hated it. this one looks as bad. I guess im just not into those kind of movies... but when you screen T4 be sure to let us know... even though it will probbly suck since no arnie and its getting kinda old
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 10:07 PM
Hmm, not really sure. I use DirecTV HD and my plasma is only 480p, so for me, it wouldn't really matter. I watch 720p and 1080i downconverted via my HD Tivo (DVI) and it looks fantastic. I can tell the difference w/ HD broadcasts, including HD movies on HBO, Universal HD, and HDNet. But I don't recall if D* even tells you the resolution of PPV HD.
Posted By: James_T Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/01/05 10:10 PM
Oh, if you hated CTHD you will really loath Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Crouching was the best of that genre (that I have seen). However, Hero and House are GORGEOUS films (they were in the theater anyway). Perhaps lacking in story or plot development, but holy crap do they have phenominal use of color and great cinematography. And the action was fun.

jr

Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/02/05 12:16 AM
i agree, HOFD was a visually stunning film, the only thing that pulled me out of the experience was the "modern" translation of the subtitles. stuff like "you're such a playboy", and "how do i know you're for real" just seemed out of place in the flick. still a good movie, though
Posted By: spiffnme Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/02/05 12:46 AM
Yep..those subtitle did seem out of place, but after the first couple scenes I just got used to it.

My biggest complaint was that Mei was such a tease! How many times was she in the heat of passion with someone, just to push them away at the last second. Come ON girl...give it up!

Posted By: Babalu Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/02/05 06:32 PM
If you just go to your friendly neighborhood Chinatown you can find tons of dvds before they're released in North America and cheeper. They're often legit, and despite the Chinese characters all over the cover will be in English and subtitle free. I got Bourne Supremacy a couple weeks before it came out and it's excellent...And Chinese movies, like Hero, are usually released way in advance in China, I got the Hero DVD before it was out in Theatres here!
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/02/05 11:09 PM
wow, i never thought of that. probably cause we dont have a chinatown in richmond BUT it is good thinkin lincoln.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/03/05 01:07 AM
Have you run into any problems with region encoding?
Posted By: Babalu Re: House of Flying Daggers - 02/03/05 01:18 AM
You have to keep your eye open for the encoding for sure, but depending on where you go both (PAL/NTSC) might be available. Or you could consider a player such as this which is capable of playing both. It also plays DivX and XviD which can come in handy. For those of you in the Greater Toronto Area I could probably suggest a couple of places.
© Axiom Message Boards