Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Craig_P OT: Video conversion - 02/02/05 10:03 PM
I'm looking for some information on converting various types of video files. Basically, I want to be able to burn video-cd's to play on my DVD player, thus allowing me to watch real video or .avi files currently stuck in my computer (in my bedroom) out in the TV room on the big TV. I'm not really concernened with keeping it high qulaity; I know it own't be, its just easier to have a bunch of people sitting on a couch watching a TV rather than crammed in my room watching a computer screen.
Anyway, to the point. Is there one good program out there that converts all files to mpeg? Do you have to convert the video and audio seperately? I'm all set with the burning of the videoCD, Nero will do that, I just don't have any experience in converting video. thanks
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: OT: Video conversion - 02/03/05 12:55 AM
I don't have a ton of experience w/ converting video files. However, should you not be able to find the answers here, you might want to search around the AVS Forum HTPC forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience over there w/ the HTPC crowd.

Good Luck
Posted By: Ray3 Re: OT: Video conversion - 02/03/05 01:37 AM
Craig,

How are you? That is a much bigger question than you might realize. Fortunately, a site named videohelp.com will be provide you with enough detailed information to cause all of your cranial orifices to bleed. Take a look and note the menu of choices along the left hand side of the home page, There is also a link to a forum that is informational. Good luck with it.
Posted By: nitrojiber Re: OT: Video conversion - 02/03/05 02:35 AM
A lot of people use a program called TMPGEnc Plus (its free). Its very easy to use, no need for separate audio and video files. Be forwarned -- it takes a loooooooong to convert avi to mpg. I recently converted all my old camcorder tape to dvds and it typically took 5 hours of processing time for every hour of video (this was the highest quality setting though).
© Axiom Message Boards