Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bray David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 05:20 PM
I dont remember who recomended this dvd, but thanks.
If your a Floyd fan this is a must own, in my opinion.
For a live concert, the recording is very good.
If you get it, be sure and watch the extras.
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 05:46 PM
Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that. Personally, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the Pulse DVD release, which is supposed to be sometime in the next couple of months.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 05:49 PM
Brady,
Pardon my ignorance.
Which David Gilmour DVD are you referring to?
Cheers,
Shaun
Posted By: dmn23 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 06:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of Richard Thompson and I found it interesting to see David's covering "Dimming of the Day". I'll have to check it out.
Posted By: bray Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 06:01 PM
Its simply called "David Gilmour In Concert".
Recorded in 2001 at the Royal Festival Hall. It was part of the "Meltdown Concert" which from what I can gather was a multi artist concert.
It also has additional recordings from a 2002 concert at the same venue.
Its described as a semi-acoustic concert.
[edit] Someone metioned this dvd on a previous thread, so yeterday while I was at Tower records I picked it up for $19.99. When I got home I played and then replayed many parts of it because I enjoyed them so much. Wish You Were Here is fantastic on this dvd, alsoa "new" song called "Smile". In the "special features" area of the dvd he does an Elvis Presley tune called "Dont" that I woke up singing this morning.
Overall it felt like I was there. Way cool.

Posted By: warfer21 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 08:31 PM
Bray, if you like this dvd, then I bet you'd also really like "Roger Waters 'in the flesh'". Alot of the same songs but not acoustic. The ensemble of musicians that Waters puts together for this performance, are simply amazing.

The young guy "Doyle Bramhall II" fills David Gilmours huge shoes suprisingly well.

I hear a rumour that Waters and Gilmour are trying to patch up there differences and put Pink Floyd back together again. (here's hoping)

I totally agree with you on the David Gilmour dvd. 4 stars A great acoustic performance by a great guitarist...

Posted By: bray Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 08:35 PM
"I hear a rumour that Waters and Gilmour are trying to patch up there differences and put Pink Floyd back together again. (here's hoping)"

MY fingers are crossed.

Where did you hear that?

Roger Waters "IN THE FLESH"
I do have the sacd, and really like it.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 08:49 PM
Do you think a reunited Pink Floyd now would really be any good?

I mean, I thought The Final Cut was one too many as it was... well, I'd go to see them live again - the last time I saw Floyd live, they were excellent. But I don't know if I'd look forward to new material.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 09:10 PM
For my money, Waters' solo stuff beats the snot out of anything Gilmour/Floyd has done since The Final Cut. And that was basically a Waters solo album, anyway.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 09:11 PM
I agree. Doesn't mean any of it's that good though. I find Waters to be incredibly whiney.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 09:33 PM
Fair enough. I can certainly understand that view, but for all of the bitterness and venom, he's remarkable at articulating an idea. The clarity of the rage and sarcasm are unnerving. I find it pretty listenable, but I definitely have to be in the right mood.
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 09:45 PM
Man, I get heartburn about this......When I was in my early highschool days, I was given an opportunity to see Pink Floyd, so I took it. I really didn't know much about them, but it sounded wild. I remember that it was a good show and the theatrics were a blast, but I still really didn't know their material very well........About 15 years later, I would give anything to see that concert again.

As far as the band getting together, including Waters, I'm not holding my breath. If anything, I could see them reuniting w/ just Gilmore. The magazine that released the rumor, "Q", said in that story that the band management told them directly that there is no plans to tour.

However, we can continue to hope. I would go to that show, no matter what it took....Actually, my wife and I would go no matter what it took. In the last year or so, I got her into Floyd...to the point that she often plays them more than me. Can't beat that....

Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 09:53 PM
I'm with you DMN. Waters may not have the most amazing voice, but it is distinct and it's the message and it's delivery that's enthralling. There were many a night in college where the Final Cut accompanied a good blurry night of excess. I still listen to it and The Wall periodically, but it is when I'm in that mindset....perhaps after a few coctails and a long day. Hmmmm....perhaps today is one of those days.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 10:03 PM
I definitely have an appreciation for what Waters brought to the table (a VERY large share of what made mid-to-late era Floyd successful). And through Animals, I think the balance of Waters and the other forces in the band are fabulous. That gritty, snarky sarcasm you mention is very present, and very appropriate. Course, I also like the pre-snarky Pink Floyd (though I can't say I like "More" very much).

The Wall is where things get iffy for me. I actually really enjoy the album - tremendously - but it is remarkably self-indulgent. And The Final Cut, to me, just went over the edge with that indulgence.

I'm no great fan of Gilmour's work, either - his first solo album, which I bought as a teen, disappointed me. His post-Waters Floyd albums are not anything to write home about either.

So the conclusion I came to is that the creative forces of the band had a synergy that raised them all up higher - a sort of "greater than the sum of its parts" situation. But that balance tipped... and I just would be very surprised if 20 years on, they'd be able to recreate that synergy.
Posted By: bray Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 10:54 PM
For myself, I like almost everything theyve done together and apart.
One of the main reasons they broke up was Gimour thought it had become to much about the lyrics and not enough about the music, and Waters thought there had become a "wall" between the audience and the band whitch Gilmour didnt see.
In some ways I agree with both. On the other hand I miss some of the hard line lyrics that Waters wrote.
Gilmour (IMO) is a great guitarist, and Waters (IMO) is a great lyricist.
I believe that if they were able to work out their differeces, they would be as good as before.
I saw Floyd twice before Waters left and twice after he left and I enjoyed all 4 shows equally.
I miss them! Pre and post Waters seperation from the group.

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 11:01 PM
One of the main reasons they broke up was Gimour thought it had become to much about the lyrics and not enough about the music,

I read that in that recent special issue of MOJO. I tend to agree. Especially on Final Cut. Roger, in fact, seems to agree to a certain extent, but he seems to be fine with that - the message he has to tell is more important than the music to him... whereas for Gilmour, it was the other way around.

So be it! Some people like certain artists because of their lyrics/poetry/perspective. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just a music first guy. Always have been.

I will agree that seeing post-Waters Floyd live was still pretty great. 3rd row at Soldier Field made for a fabulous experience.
Posted By: bray Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/03/05 11:04 PM
Whats funny is that Gilmour is married to a writer.
Posted By: misfit Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 12:10 AM
Just for the hell of it I was able to buy the Pulse DVD on ebay. I will chime back in when I go to the post office to pick it up... I have the vhs version.

Says its in 5.1. I will respond to let you all know if the quality is there.
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 12:10 PM
Let us know how that goes. My understanding was that all of those Pulse DVDs out there for sale are just transfers of the VHS material onto VCDs and DVDs. Some of the listings actually state this. But, then again, some of them look lugit.
Posted By: mark4583 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 02:44 PM
I dont remember where I read it at but I believe the Pulse DvD already came out on a very limited release and has since been discontinued, and from what I remember it was rather pricey, over $100 usd.
If you find out diffrent let us know.
I was also wanting that and The Delicate Sound of Thunder.
Posted By: misfit Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 05:46 PM
I paid 20 bucks plus shipping.

The video quality is same as VHS with Ok sound quality(I would say its as good as the CD with the VHS video attached).
I would recommend this DVD if you were like me and had the VHS version and wanted a copy in DVD format.
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 06:09 PM
Yes...After sending that post, I read up a little more and found that there was indeed a previous release. General comments out there was that the A/V quality was not great. From what I've read, the pending release has gone through a lot of remastering, etc. I think I'll hold out for that one. When I unleash that DVD on my new HT setup, I want it to look and sound as good as possible. They were previously predicting a FEB/MAR '05 release, but that's still up in the air.
Posted By: misfit Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd - 02/04/05 06:40 PM
I will definitly be at the front of that line to get it... It just has so much potential to be great
© Axiom Message Boards