Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 03:04 PM
I noticed in another post (and didn't want to hijack it) that at least one other person here besides me (BrenR) has built their own Arcade Cabinet (M.A.M.E. for me)...

Anyone else done something like this?

Please post pictures too. I will try to get a snapshot of mine tonight..
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 06:15 PM
Like a video arcade game?

Funny how you bring that up. A few years back, I bought a stand up Stargate from an ex Electonic Arts programmer. He was moving and had a Ms Pac Man table and full size Gauntlet. But he wouldn't sell those...

My Stargate video was broken so I've decided to start trying to fix it this week in hopes of selling it. Then I see this...I'd like to keep it but the WAF is VERY low on this...
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 06:35 PM
Anyone know where I can get an operational Defender (I not II) and an operational Robotron arcade unit?

My wife loved Defender and has mentioned loving to have one to put in our gameroom in the new house...

My favorite was Robotron.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: bigjohn Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 06:38 PM
In reply to:

Ms Pac Man table

i would kill to have one of those.. the old school kind, that had a joy-stick on each side, and the image on the screen would 'flip'.. that way you could play 2 players without having to get up. plus, you could put your coke and frito-pie right on the top. !! OH, the memories!!

i checked a few years back into getting one of those for our gameroom/bar, and the cheapest i could find was around $1000 bucks. i found a lot of broke ones for much cheaper, but i want the dang thing to work.. not to mention, i have no idea how to fix one, or how much more it would cost to fix one?

i would also kill to get one of the old 'Black Knight' pinball machines.. it was the first pinball game i had ever played that offered a 'multi-ball' mode. it also was one of the first with a dual-level gametop, and was one of the first with a magnet to catch the ball from going down the poop shoot.. i spent many rolls of quarters getting good at that game!!

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 06:46 PM

Nick - here's the arcade cabinet (all handmade from 11/16ths MDF - I didn't just gut an existing machine) and you can see the M3s/SS24s in the background. Seems like a cool thing to do, but honestly, I never play it. Occasionally I'll fire it up when we have company.

I'll post more later, busy day here.

Bren R.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:06 PM
Your's looks like the standard Defender style cabinet. I started with LuCiD's Defender plans, and customized the front so that it is not a flat front where the coin door is, but is shaped like this \_/ with angles. I also made the marquee area a rounded, almost half-circle shape. (like the old Robocop style)

I don't play mine much either, but it is fun when people come over.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:08 PM
In reply to:

A few years back, I bought a stand up Stargate from an ex Electonic Arts programmer.

Wow, you have a Stargate? Do you have a DHD? Where did you get it? From the Russians? (Sorry, Stargate SG-1 humor.)
Posted By: bray Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:16 PM
WhatFurrer
I cant help you with the original cabinet versions but there is this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AHOYR/103-9505077-9393439?v=glance
Defender was my all time favorite, and this has it exactly the way you remember it except for the Game cube or PS1 or 2 deal.
It also has Robotron plus many other great old games like "Marble Madness", "Joust 1&2""Defender II", "Spy Hunter". I still spend hours playing Defender.
Another good one is this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dvideogames%26field-keywords%3Dnamco%20museum%26results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-1%5Fvideogames%5F3112760%5F2/103-9505077-9393439
I have about 30 games for my Gamecube but spend 99% of play time on these two.
Posted By: bray Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:23 PM
Sorry guys for the long url.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:23 PM
I might have to start watching Stargate when Enterprise dies... I have all the Battlestar Galactica's Tivo'ed (new and old) but haven't watched 'em yet.

There's a company that does a "MAME" type of machine but in tabletop format. THAT'S COOL, but it's like $3.5K.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:51 PM
What does MAME stand for?
Posted By: James_T Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 07:58 PM
Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 09:42 PM
In reply to:

I cant help you with the original cabinet versions but there is this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AHOYR/103-9505077-9393439?v=glance
Defender was my all time favorite, and this has it exactly the way you remember it except for the Game cube or PS1 or 2 deal.
It also has Robotron plus many other great old games like "Marble Madness", "Joust 1&2""Defender II", "Spy Hunter". I still spend hours playing Defender.
Another good one is this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dvideogames%26field-keywords%3Dnamco%20museum%26results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-1%5Fvideogames%5F3112760%5F2/103-9505077-9393439
I have about 30 games for my Gamecube but spend 99% of play time on these two.

Bray,

Funny you should mention those...already have them for our Gamecube...we play them a lot too...although my wife can't get a handle on the controls for Defender on the Gamecube. She is only proficient on the original button layout on a standup machine.

I have done some searching on-line for the original standup games...$1,495 for a new / refurbished one is kind of steep especially when you are trying to hang on to whatever you can to use as the down payment on a new house.

Maybe when I hit the lottery...ALthough it would be nice to get one and have it set up in the new gameroom without her knowing about it...but she would kill me when she found out how much...

Will keep looking...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 09:51 PM
Here in the Bay Area there is a yearly convention called California Extreme with all the old video games, some for sale! I go every year. All the machines are set to free play, and it's only about $20 for the day. Great fun!

Me, I want a pinball machine, but there's just no room in my house.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 10:00 PM
WhatFurrer
Have you played RE4 yet? I started playing and got sidetracked. AWESOME graphics, especially on my plasma. But I'm not an FPS gamer so the controls are tricky for me to pick up.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 10:18 PM
In reply to:

WhatFurrer
Have you played RE4 yet? I started playing and got sidetracked. AWESOME graphics, especially on my plasma. But I'm not an FPS gamer so the controls are tricky for me to pick up.

If you're referring to Resident Evil 4, no. I am not fond of games such as that not to mention I really don't want my 13 year old son playing it...not to mention my wife would have a fit if she saw it in the house.

I am currently still trying to complete Metroid Prime...

My son got "Medal of Honor - something" for his birthday...my wife is really sensitive to the Iraq conflict right now and she has been commenting on how she does not like him playing that one...

We try to stay more kid friendly...even my son would prefer those...and has said so...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/10/05 10:58 PM
I can understand that. My gamecube doesn't get turned on till after 10 PM when everyone's asleep anyways.

For kid-friendly games, I've been playing Pikmin 2. LOVE IT, I finished Pikmin and got hooked. I bought Paper Mario ebay but it got stolen in transit. I also just picked Mario Kart and a broadband adapter to play w/ some folks on this website.

Cube your enthusiasm
Posted By: bray Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/11/05 01:07 AM
Pikmin is one of my favorites also, but I'm not that crazy about Pikmin2.
Metroid Prime 2 will be my next game.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/11/05 05:39 PM
Here is a link to a cheesy web page I threw together with some photos froma couple of years ago that I dug up. I still have all of these, but right now, with construction in the basement for my HT, they are covered and crammed in a corner.

http://www.buol.us/gameroom/gameroom.htm

Here is a quick shot of the arcade (no nice side art on it) but my web page has more, plus my pinball and pachinko...

Posted By: BrenR Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/11/05 06:11 PM
In reply to:

Your's looks like the standard Defender style cabinet. I started with LuCiD's Defender plans, and customized the front

Everyone starts with LuCiD's plans *laughs*

Actually, I started with a set of plans that were modified from LuCiD's - the guy that redrew them was a honking big guy like me - I'm 6' 3" (you'll notice the control surface is about 4" higher than traditional arcade height - there's actually a stool that usually sits in front of it so the missus can play without her hands being at chest height) The body and surface were slightly narrowed from LuCiD's plans (to match a classic cabinet more correctly and so it would go down my old basement stairs) but the control panel bump out on the front is MUCH deeper (for the extra crapola at the top) and wider (a friend's a friend, but I don't want to be rubbing shoulders all night with one of my buddies).

The controls are pretty plain vanilla - two Happs Supers (8-way), 6 buttons per player (I never use the top row - I'm not a Street Fighter guy), there's a Oscar Controls spinner between the two players, a yellow "Esc" button, a black "pause" button, 1P and 2P start, and on the front there are buttons to fake coin drops (the coin door works too, of course, though the right hand coin mech has seen it's share of use!) and there are two middle buttons which work as TAB and Enter to get to the MAME menu.

The cabinet is scratch built from 11/16 MDF, the control surface is arborite, the marquee is back printed on 10pt. lexan backlight stock (I love working in print!) looks a LOT better than a paper marquee. The monitor is a 20" monitor/receiver (ie: a TV with a sharper mask and all connections are BNC), the computer is an AMD 550, the whole thing is cooled by two fans, an 8cm in the top to cool the TV, a 6cm in the bottom to cool the system. The interior is wired with a great "contractor-type" power bar in the bottom which utilized 3 standard sockets, which allowed me to pop some Romex into the last socket and install a box and plug up inside the marquee for the speakers (Altec-Lansing 5W powered) and the fluorescent. All the arcade lamps and fans are run off a separate AT power supply, I was afraid of asking too much of the ATX that powers the PC, turns out I had more trouble trying to create a big enough minimum load for the voltage regulator in the AT supply. The two fans and coin reject lamps barely hit the min. load. If a lamp burns out, the voltage from the P/S will go wonky I'm sure. If it becomes a problem, I can always cross the 5V and 12V lines with resistors. You want a load, I'll give you a load! *G*

The coin door was purchased from a local arcade (Magicland for Chess and Sid) - that was a bit nostalgic for me, for what I paid for it, I almost could have got a new Happ coin door, but I wanted a used Coinco one, a REAL, 80s arcade door that had seen action. And it had seen action. Took it apart, rewelded a few spot welds. Then wanted to strip the old finish. So I used some sandpaper, which just polished it... sandblasted it, which just took the shine off. Ended up working it with a coarse wire wheel for the better part of an afternoon (and using up two wheels!)... filled a small dent with some metal-to-metal filler, gave it a light coating with vehicle undercoating wit a shutz gun to bring back that dappled powdercoat look, then painted it with PPG DBU 9700.

The Rebel paint theme has nothing to do with the Confederate army, it's painted and named for the Forgotten Rebels - punk band out of Markham ON.

I had the parts and plans for another cabinet based on a Missile Command cab that would have had a 4-way stick for Pac-Man, Burgertime, etc and a trackball for Marble Madness, Crystal Castles, but decided to ditch the project and sold the parts to some guy in the states for his.

Bren R.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 03/11/05 07:54 PM
For controls, my panel is a little wider than LuSiD's as well. I used a nice, S-Video connection to a 27" TV for the bigger viewing of games. A friend of mine hacked an old cabinet and put a 21" monitor in it in the vertical position (for old games like Pac Man, Donkey Kong, etc) but with my 27" TV, I get as big of a vertical image as he did, but get a lot larger horizontal images that he ever will. Oddly enough, the 27" TV is better quality than what we have in our living room of our house, but I really wanted the S-Video connection for the games. Using a TV also means that I don't have to "turn on" horizontal lines for the arcade feel, but the TV is good enough, that the lines aren't as big as you might think.

Back to the controls...

The right and left controls are the Happs Supers (8-way) with 6 buttons. The one in the middle is a Happs Super but with 4-way control. It is just directly connected to the wiring for the player 1 8-way control. This joystick is the only way to easily play the old 4-way games like Pac Man, Donkey Kong and the like. The 2 yellow buttons by the 4-way joystick are also tied right into the player 1 button 1 since that is all that those games used. I have 2 there so that if you are right handed or left handed, it works the same.

I have a clear, LED lit trackball in the middle with 3 buttons. The ball glows blue normally, but when you press one of the green buttons, it turns red.

I printed my marquee on a thin vinyl materialat Kinkos so that it is one piece. Sandwiched it between 2 pieces of plexiglas and curved it. Put it on with a small florescent light behind it and it looks nice.

Coin door was used off of eBay. It works 100% and accepts any coin size. It has a counter on top that tracks the number of coins that have gone through the game. I don't remember what it had on it when I got it, and I have since reset it to zero. To date, I have a total of about 50 coins that have been put into it (since I just use the button combinations to fake the coin insertion).

I also have the player 1 and player 2 buttons.

Throw in the small Altic Lansing speakers and subwoofer, plus the 2 fans (one for TV and one for the main part of the cabinet). The control panel is actually more blue looking than the pictures show, but I didn't spend the time adjusting the coloration in Photoshop before I posted them. It is also made with regular laminate matterial applied to the surface of the MDF.

I put caster wheels on mine so I can roll it around if I need to since this thing is pretty heavy (even without the TV in it).

There are 2 things that I want to do with it yet. One is get a bezel for around the TV, and the other is get some side art for it. I guess it would be nice to get a faster PC too. I am running a Pentium III 500MHz with 768MB RAM.

I also am behind about 4 years on the MAME application and ROMS, although they are easily obtained.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/29/05 02:01 PM
Reviving an old post....

I am almost done with my second MAME cabinet. After I posted the first message in this thread, I started talking to some of the guys at work about my cabinet, and I sold it so that I could build a new one.

Anyway, I have a few small pieces left, but I am up and running with about 90% of the games (NEOGEO ones don't work yet, plus a few others), but it is getting close.

The web site for some of the details is:

Cabinet

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/29/05 06:08 PM
oooo.. Is that Space Ace?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/29/05 07:21 PM
Yup. At the time of that photo (middle of last week) I only had the laserdisk games working (about 16 of them). Now I am up to about 5300 games working. Unfortunately, many of those are duplicates (Pan-Man, Pac-Man on Galaga hardware, etc. Same game, different ROM set) or just pain dumb games. I would say that there are about 4000 unique games, and about 100 worth playing, unless you are in the mood for a 1980's flashback and want old school games, then again, your name IS "oldskool..."

I am going to hook up my old Sega Dreamcast in there, and I have a bunch of pinball machines emulated. That is the cutting edge stuff (the pinball emulation)... You will notice one of the pinball flipper buttons on the left side of the control panel. And to think, several weeks ago I had sheets of particle board, MDF, laminate, a bunch of screws, and a box full of new, real arcade controls and buttons.
Posted By: shag Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/30/05 02:45 PM
You can just play all the old original arcade games on your computer. This works just fine for most games and you would be playing the original rom just as it was in the arcade.

I know the idea of playing at a full standup arcade cabinet is cool and all, but for those addressing the WAF or space limitations, playing on your comp is good enough and won't cost anything.

One issue is playing games with special controls like Robotron with 2 joysticks, or Tron with the gun trigger joystick and spin knob coptrol. Star Wars is another or any driving game. You can buy many different controllers out there (at a fraction of a full size mame cabinet) to play most of your favorite games the way you played them on a full size cabinet.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/30/05 03:02 PM
You are 100% correct. After all, there is just a nice PC inside the cabinet doing all of the work anyway. I will tell you this, though, when people come over, they would rather fire up the arcade cabinet, that sit at a desk looking at a 17" or 19" computer monitor tapping on a keyboard.

That works for many people though who do not want to spend the money, or have the time/skill needed to build a cabinet themselves. But again, you are 100% correct in that you can play it for free on your PC.
Posted By: BrenR Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/30/05 04:40 PM
As a MAME cabinet owner/builder myself... it's mainly the "cool" factor... I always wanted an upright or cocktail table as a kid. It hardly ever gets used, but it is something fun to fire up when people come over.

Bren R.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/30/05 11:58 PM
Nick and Bren, I'd be interested to learn more.

I recently built a very entry-level HTPC but still have a standard-definition TV. I don't use PVR functionality because we have DirecTivo. One of the reasons I assembled the machine is to play games with the family, but I am finding that "modern" PC games don't really meet my criteria on a couple of levels. First, they are primarily complicated, single player games rather than "take a turn and beat my score" sorts of things. Second, the content is mostly unsuitable for the under-12 set.

So, I'm pondering learning more about whether MAME type functionality might fit my bill. I'm interested in using my TV rather than a cabinet, but could certainly spring for some controls if necessary.

What do you think? Where do I learn more? What do I budget?

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/31/05 03:52 AM
I am just outputting my stuff on a nice 27" TV in the cabinet, so it will work for you too. In fact, you SHOULD be able tin interface a control panel with your HTPC and have it all in one location. Your quickest way to get started would be to buy a control panel that you want. Some good ones (you don't even have to built them if you don't want) are at:
SlikStick
HotRod
X-Arcade

I opted to build my own. You can get parts from:
IPac PC Interface
For joysticks and buttons contact PonyBoy at:
ArcadeControls Forums

If you are looking to build one yourself, let me know, I had some spare pieces machined to .0001" precision by a local fabricator with a CNC machine.

Posted By: BrenR Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/31/05 05:33 AM
I second the IPAC... but I got my controls from the Real Bob Roberts... he's a good ol' boy from Louisiana, great guy, been in the business longer than I've been alive kind of thing. Also got some stuff from HAPP Controls before I learned about Bob.

I'll leave it at that, though... MAME is a bit of a grey area legally. It isn't illegal itself, but you have to own PCBs of any of the games you want to play for them to be legal.

Bren R.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 08/31/05 12:35 PM
Bob Roberts usually has the harder to find stuff too. RIght now, though, he is "evacuated" from his home due to the hurricane.

Happs is top notch, and a majority of real arcades are made with their parts. PonyBoy, who I mentioned before, can get you Happs parts at a discount.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 11/01/05 05:49 PM
Okay, it's now Christmas shopping season, and I have to decide whether I want to further enable my kids to play video games.

I found out that Target (of all places) is selling something called The Midway Home Use Arcade Machine. I can't believe they can sell this thing for $500. It has games I'm interested in.

Probably still not as good, for me, as the previously mentioned controller pads, but it sure made me go "hmmm..."

Posted By: TNTguy Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 11/01/05 08:28 PM
Wow....that looks pretty cool.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 11/02/05 03:20 AM
From what I have been told it is a cheap unit, like those $20 units that you hook up to a TV, inside a box that is smaller than regular arcades, but does include a small TV. For $500 I think that it is a bit pricey for what you get, but to each their own. Personally, I like the fact that I can play over 5000 real arcade games and I am not limited to 10-20. Look at it this way as well. If you or your kids get tired of the few games that are there, you will have a good size, ugly decorated, TV in a box sitting around.

Again, some people are going to eat this stuff up, and if it is for you, great. I am only expressing my opinion and words of caution. If anyone here gets one, I sure won't bad mouth them or belittle them for their decision. There is obviously a market for these, or Target wouldn't sell them.

If you do get one, please share your experiences with it so that I can share with others at www.arcadecontrols.com...

Here is a link to a discussion about this 5'2" "monster"... Maybe if you sit down... Hmmm. Mine is taller than I am and I am 6'2" with shoes on.

Anyway, the link ...
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44831.0

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 11/02/05 06:08 PM
Dear Nick,

Thank you for the link. It confirmed my suspicions that this thing is the arcade version of a cheap HTIB.

I'm seriously leaning toward buying a X-Arcade or HotRod controller. The SlikStick is just too much money for me. I'm leaning toward the X-Arcade, primarily because I want the USB support. Do you have an opinion?

The environment is the living room; I'd just haul out the controller and plug it in when we want to play games (i.e. neither the computer nor the environment are dedicated to gaming). I've not yet implemented MAME on the machine, but beyond the learning curve, don't anticipate any problems.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 11/02/05 08:46 PM
SlikStick products ARE expensive, but they are top quality. X-Arcade is generally considered to be made of "cheaper" parts, but still better than many knock-off products. The SlikStick stuff is made to be an exact duplicate for actual arcade machines that need extreme durability to last in arcades, the X-Arcade stuff is less durable, but by no means does that mean that it will break or anything, just that the switched won't last as long, but should still last longer than most people would care, and they are super cheap and easy to swap out down the road if need be as well.

So, if money isn't falling out of your pockets, and as long as you don't have an actual arcade machine to compare the button clicks to, go for the X-Arcade and save a few bucks.

As for HotRod (didn't mean to leave them out), they are the original "arcade controler for a PC" people. Solid products. I would put HotRod above X-Arcade for quality, but under SlikStick for options.

All of these are plug and play once you have MAME installed. MAME will recognize these controllers out of the box and work wonderfully.

Good luck!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/23/14 05:55 PM
I don't think it would be easy to quantify an award for thread revival, but I'd like to nominate myself.

Life goes fast. Holy sh!t.

I need remedial MAME help. I've got some parts laying around and would be interested in a bartop-format affair. But I am kind of a retard, so some of the stuff I'm reading on the web is still a little beyond my grasp.

I want to use my existing stuff. I don't want to buy new hardware. If I can't do it with my existing stuff, I'm not going to do it. The point is to reclaim/reuse/repurpose some old tech "assets" and have fun. The point is NOT to "build a MAME cabinet". Capisce? (we're re-watching "The Sopranos" with our daughter).

So, what I've got is a Zotac ZBox with a dual-core Atom processor and a X-Arcade controller. Both are "a few" years old.

I don't know enough about Linux. What I *think* I should do is install Ubuntu (or some other, lighter distro) and install whatever MAME emulator package and front end "works" on that distro.

I have surplus a 19" 4:3 LCD and a 21" 16:9 LED.

I want to play crappy old games from arcades and consoles (if possible).

Got any advice?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/23/14 07:55 PM
MAME needs very low powered machines to run the good ol' classics.

I say "go for it." I think that you can be successful pretty easily. I am a "keep it simple" guy, and I know nothing about Linux/Ubuntu to help there. I loaded up a stripped down version of Windows XP back when I last loaded up my machine 2 years ago. Windows 7 was considered slower due to bells/whistles of Windows 7 vs XP, and XP working better or older hardware.

Going with Linux/Ubuntu should get more performance from your hardware, but might be trickier to install.

So long story short, you should be playing Donkey Kong in no time once you get the O/S installed.

After you get that working with a TV, then it is just some basic carpentry to build a box to put it in, or heck, just mock it up in a cardboard box and call it good.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/23/14 11:56 PM
You're the best, Nick.

laugh
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/24/14 12:12 AM
I dunno, I think that's a little too fancy.
Posted By: Murph Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/24/14 11:01 AM
I don't know anything about Mame but Ubuntu is a pretty simple install these days. the primary install is just a GUI like any other. However, there are some extras you probably need afterwards but the 'Interwebs' make that so simple these days.. Google a couple of "Things to do after installing Ubuntu" pages for very straight forward instructions and pick out the items that seem relevant.

There may be some proprietary drivers for Mame and/or the joystick console that I know nothing about but I'm betting Google has that too from people who have already done it. Before you install Linux, check out which Distro (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, etc.) that seems to have the most support and people behind what you are doing. Ubuntu seems to have the most, easy to find support, in general, due to it's huge user base but maybe there are more popular versions for your specific purpose.

My Linux skills are mediocre are best but it is what I run on my home PC now. So if I can help with the simple stuff, I'll be glad to try and I know there are a couple of real experts on this board who helped me. So you should be covered.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OT: MAME Arcades - 06/24/14 04:30 PM
Thanks so much, Andy. Really appreciate your help.
© Axiom Message Boards